House Price Crash Forum

Waterstones Sold

HOLA441

People want mutually incompatible things - cheap easy to access in one spot, but also local, high quality, a large range and personal advice together with a strong community. Initially, they can have both, but when the corner store shuts down becauseit can't turn a profit they are left with only half of what they want, and I would argue it is probably the "lesser half."

Clearly they _don't_ want that or the corner store wouldn't be shutting down because people would be lining up to use it. You tell what people want by what they do, not what they say; most of them will visit said corner store for the 'personal advice' on what to buy, then go home and order it from a cheap online store instead. The real complaint about free market is that people don't want what _you_ want them to want. Well, tough.

Oh, and remember, that corner store would be far more likely to remain in business if rents weren't so high due to government-imposed planning restrictions. The same people who complain about corner stores vanishing from their quaint little village would probably be lining up to complain to the council about someone opening a new mall in their quaint little village and thereby pushing rents down.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Been done. Most of the early netbooks came with Linux. They switched to almost 100% Windows due to customer demand.

They switched to almost 100% Windows because Microsoft started giving it to them for free.

HOLA443

They switched to almost 100% Windows because Microsoft started giving it to them for free.

Deep discounts on XP yes, but not for free.

No One Wants Linux Netbooks

In the past year, Linux-based netbooks have rapidly lost market share to Microsoft, as people find that Linux doesn’t work as expected, may not support the applications or peripherals they’re accustomed to using, and is just plain different.

“The propeller-heads or early adopters understood what Linux was about,” says Richard Shim, an analyst with IDC, a market research company. “But as netbooks have gone mainstream, users want the apps they are familiar with, rather than the nonstandard ones on Linux.”

While sales of netbooks have exploded, Linux’s market share on these devices has dramatically declined. In 2008, about 24.5 percent of netbooks shipped with an Linux operating system, estimates IDC. This year, it’s expected to plunge to 4.5 percent, and in 2010 only 3 percent of all netbooks will run a Linux OS.

LINK

Retailer PC World drops Linux

PC World’s store shelves will only feature netbooks with Microsoft’s Windows operating system, the retailer has said, and will stop selling Linux-based machines in store.

Jeremy Fennell, category director at PC World, said most buyers don’t opt for the cheapest netbook, instead buying around the £300 range. He said customers looked for a “software system they were familiar with” – despite hopes from many the cheap and cheerful devices would go open source.

“Despite initial hype that netbooks would move more users onto the Linux platform, Microsoft has emerged as the preferred operating system because Windows makes it easier to share content, and provides customers with a simpler, more familiar computing experience on the move,” he claimed in a statement.

“Based on this insight, all the netbooks in our stores will feature Microsoft Windows, larger screens and keyboards, and greater colour choices to satisfy customers demand for performance, design and familiarity,” he added.

PC World said Linux-based netbooks will still be available online, however.

Microsoft was obviously ecstatic about the news, with Windows communications manager Brandon LeBlanc saying on the Microsoft blog that “it’s important to note that all of this momentum is happening before Windows 7 is even out.”

Microsoft has recently claimed that Windows grew from 10 per cent of the netbook market share to 96 per cent

LINK

Even Apple's iOS has a bigger global market share than Linux.

Based on my own personal experience, people prefer the familiar territory of Windows (and I have a netbook running Ubuntu, plus an old Windows laptop, also running Ubuntu, so I'm not a Linux basher).

HOLA444

Clearly they _don't_ want that or the corner store wouldn't be shutting down because people would be lining up to use it. You tell what people want by what they do, not what they say; most of them will visit said corner store for the 'personal advice' on what to buy, then go home and order it from a cheap online store instead. The real complaint about free market is that people don't want what _you_ want them to want. Well, tough.

Oh, and remember, that corner store would be far more likely to remain in business if rents weren't so high due to government-imposed planning restrictions. The same people who complain about corner stores vanishing from their quaint little village would probably be lining up to complain to the council about someone opening a new mall in their quaint little village and thereby pushing rents down.

I think we are saying more or less the same thing. However, I truly think most people don't want Walmart world, even if their actions create it. Given a world of Tesco only or one with a varied high street at slightly higher prices but no Tesco, I suspect people would chose the latter. However, when both are on offer, people will not frequent the small stores enough to make them profitable and hence they end up at an outcome they don't desire. Pure tragedy of the commons and not being able to have your cake and eat it etc.

HOLA445

I think we are saying more or less the same thing. However, I truly think most people don't want Walmart world, even if their actions create it. Given a world of Tesco only or one with a varied high street at slightly higher prices but no Tesco, I suspect people would chose the latter. However, when both are on offer, people will not frequent the small stores enough to make them profitable and hence they end up at an outcome they don't desire. Pure tragedy of the commons and not being able to have your cake and eat it etc.

for not much more than a quarter pounder each., I bought, cooked and enjoyed the most tender Fillet Steak with Mrs Loo last night. from a local farm shop.

HOLA446
HOLA447

for not much more than a quarter pounder each., I bought, cooked and enjoyed the most tender Fillet Steak with Mrs Loo last night. from a local farm shop.

Really? What sort of price per kilo is that? Its been over £25/kg for so long now I haven't bought it in an age :( Even the sirloin we had last night cost more than a 1/4 pounder

Edited by daiking

HOLA448

It just doesn't work like that. This is just an irrational HPC phobia of debt.

If you need some capital equipment to take advantage of a current Market need you can't wait five years while you save your pennies.

Growing slowly and steadily and adapting to change are fantasy ideas that don't meet with reality.

HMV is finished, as is Waterstones. There is very little that could have been realistically done, management wise, to alter this outcome. Debt levels aren't of much consequence.

Of course you need capital to take advantage of market need, but not 100% borrowed capital.......investment has to come 50:50......more importantly than capital is know-how, experience, ability, passion, with a plan that has a high chance of working......when there is nothing personally to lose, why bother to change things.....take what is left and run. ;)

HOLA449

No, book lovers like books.

No - I'm a book lover and have 100 books on my lovely new ASUS tablet.

I had a Kindle and its stone age tech especially if you're a speed reader like me. I do have books but they just take up too much space. A bit like my (defunct) cd and vinyl collection.

HOLA4410

Yes.

They would have a discount on XP.

Then they would get a promotional 'budget' for Windows - which would work out at $40 per install.

People should never underestimet how devious and desperate MS + Intel can be be. You didn't think they got so big by being good did you?

(ex-Intel - thank god)

HOLA4411

Really? What sort of price per kilo is that? Its been over £25/kg for so long now I haven't bought it in an age :( Even the sirloin we had last night cost more than a 1/4 pounder

yep, two lucious 1.5in thick pieces... £6.20. bootiful

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I buy books at Waterstones because when a new book from an author I read is out I want it NOW! I don't want it whenever the postman can bestir himself to deliver it, and I don't want it notionally cheaper but more expensive after you've added P&P.

If I were running a bookstore I'd intermingle new and 2nd hand books, I'd buy as well as sell, I'd run the kind of place where you could rummage through the stacks and find a priceless first edition for 5/- forgotten these last 50 years. I'd also have complementary coffee on tap, comfy sofas and story times for the kids. Footfall is the name of the game, and also the name of a novel by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

HOLA4414

I buy books at Waterstones because when a new book from an author I read is out I want it NOW! I don't want it whenever the postman can bestir himself to deliver it, and I don't want it notionally cheaper but more expensive after you've added P&P.

If I were running a bookstore I'd intermingle new and 2nd hand books, I'd buy as well as sell, I'd run the kind of place where you could rummage through the stacks and find a priceless first edition for 5/- forgotten these last 50 years. I'd also have complementary coffee on tap, comfy sofas and story times for the kids. Footfall is the name of the game, and also the name of a novel by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

You may have a seriously good point there. I know some people who can browse through bookshops and then have the self-discipline to order later (and save the odd penny) via Amazons. But I, like a fair few others I suspect, have to limit my visits to bookstores, as I end up buying several books. Put on free coffee (and it'd have to be good coffee supplied by the local Italian or Portuguese barista or even the stuff they serve in Pret a Manger, not a no-hoper from CostaQuik chain) and the 3-for-2 deals, and I'd be suckered in. Luckily (for the sake of my wallet) I can't see the management being brave enough to implement this.

Edited by Trampa501

HOLA4415

With respect you are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think that would be anyway to run a business.

HOLA4416

i agree to a point, i like going in and being able to read parts of a book to make sure i am going to like it before purchase but.....

this

and this

i will scan the barcode and see if i can buy it online cheaper, which 99% of the time i can. i do not see why i suold pay the RRP when i can get the exact same product (ok with a couple of days wait) for upto 80% off the RRP price, and Waterstones have a policy of NO PRICE MATCHING regardless.

the shop bourne retail sector is dying to make way for cheaper online shopping, the whole retail sector needs to reinvent it self and the only way its going to start ot happen is if all the costs involved in having a shop get reduced

Agree

I have gone into one of their stores and actually brought the book full well knowing it was £4 more just to support the local high street book store for much the reason you quote above

I must be stupid

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

...even for publishers the future is ebooks and cloud ...you will have niche stores, like for music selling vinyl and 78s, continuing to produce paper from forests but over the next decade it will diminish and not feature for the mass majority....as for HMV...would have loved to see their 'business plan' which sold the loan facilities to the Bankers..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
As someone who works on the production of books/journals, I'd have to say --- quite a lot (but then again, I have a VI). Apart from stylistic inconsistencies (which are rife), the editors I work with put in a lot of effort trying to introduce consistency and accuracy in terms of bibliographic references. Not to mention spelling/grammar.

Even authors who have produced many books/articles over the years produce absolute dog's dinners in terms of original files (I guess they're used to us doing all the work). And their technical knowledge is often piss poor.

Even straightforward fiction books receive a lot of editing that most people aren't aware of.

I didn't say the books would be any good!

I guess the similarity between publishing and the record industry lies in the fact that once, to be 'published' in the music industry you needed access to fairly limited number of 'slots'- there were only so many hours of playtime on the radio, so many disks maufactured and distributed a year, ect- so the gate was narrow and the gatekeepers powerful men.

Then comes the web and the narrow gate turns into a six lane superhighway and the gatekeepers lose their power.

The same pattern seems to be implied by the rise of E books- the current gatekeepers being the handful of large publishing houses and their distribution chains. All very similar.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Would people just go in for free coffee and read a chapter or so - rinse and repeat the next day...

HOLA4424

Would people just go in for free coffee and read a chapter or so - rinse and repeat the next day...

Make the free coffee available to members of their book club. You'd need to buy books worth 15+ every 3 or 4 months to remain a member (and perhaps have an initial £30 joining fee - that could be redeemed against book purchases). Obviously you'd still get the free-ride brigade (with excellent self-discipline), but you'd deter the totally destitute.

HOLA4425

I would run book clubs and have poetry reading sessions where like minded people can meet and get their end away.

So that's what poetry is for?? :o