House Price Crash Forum

Waterstones Sold

HOLA441

I buy books at Waterstones because when a new book from an author I read is out I want it NOW! I don't want it whenever the postman can bestir himself to deliver it, and I don't want it notionally cheaper but more expensive after you've added P&P.

If I were running a bookstore I'd intermingle new and 2nd hand books, I'd buy as well as sell, I'd run the kind of place where you could rummage through the stacks and find a priceless first edition for 5/- forgotten these last 50 years. I'd also have complementary coffee on tap, comfy sofas and story times for the kids. Footfall is the name of the game, and also the name of a novel by Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle.

S@d all of the above. I said it near the start of the thread, pole dancers are the future for Waterstones................

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

...even for publishers the future is ebooks and cloud ...you will have niche stores, like for music selling vinyl and 78s, continuing to produce paper from forests but over the next decade it will diminish and not feature for the mass majority....as for HMV...would have loved to see their 'business plan' which sold the loan facilities to the Bankers..... :rolleyes:

Yeah I can't make any sense of it. Not sure what assets they got left.