House Price Crash Forum

'i Can't Afford To Eat Healthily' Says £600-a-month Benefits Woman Who Weighs 22 Stone

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...nd-surgery.html

A 25-year-old unemployed woman who was given an £8,000 operation to help her lose 16 stone is complaining because, as well as her weight loss, her benefits have been reduced.

Laura Ripley, who has never worked, was given the operation on the NHS to help her slim down from 38 to 22 stone.

But the 25-year-old, who receives £600 a month in benefits, is unhappy because as a result of losing weight she can no longer claim disability allowance amounting to an extra £340 a month.

This, she says, means she cannot afford to eat healthily - causing her to pile the weight back on.

'I can't afford to buy WeightWatchers crisps and cereal bars any more so I eat Tesco's chocolate bars and packets of Space Invaders crisps, sometimes four of each a day', says Laura, who spends seven hours a day watching TV.

:blink::blink:

Radical thought I know but why not eat an apple or banana or a carrot?

'People ask why I don't snack on an apple - they're cheap, but emotionally I don't always feel like an apple.'

O christ give strength I don't know if I can cope reading the rest of this!

The disability allowance money she used to receive was spent on gym workouts, healthy food and having her hair highlighted.

She adds: 'Without my disability allowance I'm left with just £210 incapacity benefit which I get because of my depression, and £100 income support I receive every two weeks and out of that I have to give them back £70 towards the cost of the £500-a-month flat I'm living in.'

Since the extra allowance stopped Laura has put on a stone in just three weeks and claims she is being treated unfairly.

'It's heartbreaking that after all my hard work losing this weight someone's come along and ruined it.'

Laura has been offered another operation on the NHS, which would normally cost £12,000, to remove the saggy skin left behind after the dramatic weight loss, but only if she sheds a further five stone, and until then she has no plans to find a job.

I'm not even applying for work at the moment because I'm only going to have to have lots of time off when I have more surgery.'

I just want more free money please

Speaking from the two-bedroom flat she shares with unemployed boyfriend Simon Hawkins, Laura describes how she was shocked into embarking on the weight loss plan after her mother Doreen died of obesity-related complications on Christmas Eve 2005.

'A doctor told me that unless I lost 20 stone I wouldn't live to see my 25th birthday. He recommended I have a gastric sleeve op.'

Prior to the surgery Laura lost eight and a half stone by cutting out junk food and drinking diet shakes and has since lost a further seven stone after her stomach was shrunk by 75 per cent.

However, without the extra benefits Laura is worried she'll put the weight back on and says she can feel her stomach stretching after binging on the unhealthy snacks.

'I sometimes feel guilty about all the taxpayers' money that's been spent on me but I only want an extra £100 a month, that's all', says Laura.

Britain's victim culture at it's finest.

Give me money or I'll get fat again!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...nd-surgery.html

Britain's victim culture at it's finest.

Give me money or I'll get fat again!!!

Having worked on this I can say all of these people are nuts.

Carbohydrate addicted personality disordered codependant twats.

The consultant I trained with used to pop along to the support group meetings organised by those who'd had the op-ten years ago it was all via huge and dangerous open incisions not laparoscopic like today.He lost interest-cos he was really only in it for the money so he could do it privately.

One Tuesday evening he came in to do an emergency and thought he would do a surprise pop in visit.

They were all handing round their favourite cream cakes for each other to try....no sh!t.

He went mad, effing and blinding at them (despite being a good muslim, a lovely man, and a superb surgeon).

As I said, dickheads the lot.

Nick

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
'People ask why I don't snack on an apple - they're cheap, but emotionally I don't always feel like an apple.'

This is the part that made me want to punch her full in the face.

The disability allowance money she used to receive was spent on gym workouts, healthy food and having her hair highlighted

This is the bit that made me realise that I'm (as a tax payer) funding her lifestyle.

HOLA448
'A doctor told me that unless I lost 20 stone I wouldn't live to see my 25th birthday.'

Natural selection. She's leeched off society for her entire life and will continue to do so.

She needn't worry, if she gets slim enough, she can probably conceive and have a bouncing baby boy. Plenty of welfare money available then.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
This is the part that made me want to punch her full in the face.

This is the bit that made me realise that I'm (as a tax payer) funding her lifestyle.

Fat is a lifestyle choice :lol::lol::lol:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

At 22 stone, she needs an attitude shift, she can't afford not to eat healthy is what she should be thinking. At the end of the day, health is all we actually need. Wealth doesn't even matter a toss in the end, ask any rich old person :P

HOLA4414
At 22 stone, she needs an attitude shift, she can't afford not to eat healthy is what she should be thinking. At the end of the day, health is all we actually need. Wealth doesn't even matter a toss in the end, ask any rich old person :P

Tell her to wipe her fat, hairy sweatty minge!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
The real victim culture starts when people come into contact with the medical profession - they stop being people - some really enjoy it.

I agree...its a great way for them to get attention...all their needs are satisfied with no effort on their part, and they feel no shame either.

HOLA4417

The trouble is, that these thieving fat bastards have no remorse

they don't care that funds are being stolen from worthy benefactors of our tax, such as pensioners.

How about cancer research? this truly touches everybody's lives in the UK

HOLA4418
The trouble is, that these thieving fat bastards have no remorse

they don't care that funds are being stolen from worthy benefactors of our tax, such as pensioners.

How about cancer research? this truly touches everybody's lives in the UK

They don't care because they have been told they are 'entitled'.

HOLA4419
Guest happy?

Agreed. But try finding an old, poor person to challenge the last sentence.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I would have thought it would be safe to cut her benefits. She can hardley go burgle somebodies house to raise the cash she would get stuck in the window.

Hang on, she could run at the house full speed and demolish half of it and then take what she wanted on second thoughts.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Agreed. But try finding an old, poor person to challenge the last sentence.

I didn't mean to distinguish tbh. Just to point out health trumps wealth. Both are of course vying for top spot in our opinions all the time.

HOLA4425

Archived