House Price Crash Forum

The Guardian: More than 800 senior Asda shopfloor staff face pay cut or redundancy

HOLA441

The Guardian: More than 800 senior Asda shopfloor staff face pay cut or redundancy

More than 800 senior Asda shopfloor workers are facing a pay cut or redundancy in the new year after the supermarket chain embarked on another cost-cutting exercise.

Store staff have been briefed this week on a proposal that could mean 842 section leaders being removed from its store management teams. Thousands of other workers will also be affected by a wider move to cut the number of hours spent on stacking and tidying shelves at 600 supermarkets.

In a document given to staff, and seen by the Guardian, the retailer said it needed to cut costs so it could “close the price gap” with rivals Aldi and Lidl. 

It said: “We need to continuously review our operating model. … being the cheapest of the big four is no longer a viable business model. We need to be able to look at ways to reduce our operating costs in order to close the price gap.”

I feel sorry for the workers. Instead of a X'mas bonus they have a pay cut/redundancy. Wish we can have a mortgage cut like that.

Edited by Fairyland

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
11 minutes ago, longgone said:

Walmart going to the wall.

No.

Walmart are still competive in the US.

They just cant get to scale or operate in countries with higher social cost.

Walmart operates by not adapting, steamrollering.

Asdas going to go. So will Sainsbury.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No.

Walmart are still competive in the US.

They just cant get to scale or operate in countries with higher social cost.

Walmart operates by not adapting, steamrollering.

Asdas going to go. So will Sainsbury.

I hope Sainsbury's don't go before they bring the Christmas food shopping.

Spend 60 save 18 I bet they did not consider people opening multiple accounts to use the same 30% discount over and over?

HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, longgone said:

I hope Sainsbury's don't go before they bring the Christmas food shopping.

Spend 60 save 18 I bet they did not consider people opening multiple accounts to use the same 30% discount over and over?

All the major supermarkets are giving money off, special deals.....all in competition for the big Christmas food shop hoping people will pick up a few extras along the way......spending more to save it is not saving it.;)

HOLA4414
12 minutes ago, winkie said:

All the major supermarkets are giving money off, special deals.....all in competition for the big Christmas food shop hoping people will pick up a few extras along the way......spending more to save it is not saving it.;)

Each order is 60 from me for maximum discount. Not all of them are offering discounts I checked.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
15 minutes ago, winkie said:

Waitrose save £10 when spending £50.....Morrison save £3.30 when spending £30......lidl had a £5 off voucher.....;)

All those are giving a maximum of a 10-20% discount. Sainsburys is offering 30% without any previous purchases required.

HOLA4418
4 minutes ago, Houdini said:

All those are giving a maximum of a 10-20% discount. Sainsburys is offering 30% without any previous purchases required.

Might not sound much but supermarkets operate on very thin margins.

I remember looking at Sainsbury once and it looked like their profit was entirely made of the pound coins stuck in the trolleys.

HOLA4419
3 minutes ago, Houdini said:

......sounds good....when we were young mum always shopped at J Sainsbury's....they are not evenly spaced around the country for everyone to use.....normally could do an on-line but sometimes want to see and pick yourself.;)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Used to have a soft spot for Sainsbury's when it was the predominant nearby supermarket.  The prices were often better than Tesco et al and definitely vying for slightly better produce and service.  Morrison's I think are in a better position (they have more control and flexibility over their stores and supply chain?)  Lidl Aldi are clearly on the upswing but generally all are going to hurt in a consumer squeeze.

HOLA4422
15 minutes ago, Dogtanian said:

Used to have a soft spot for Sainsbury's when it was the predominant nearby supermarket.  The prices were often better than Tesco et al and definitely vying for slightly better produce and service.  Morrison's I think are in a better position (they have more control and flexibility over their stores and supply chain?)  Lidl Aldi are clearly on the upswing but generally all are going to hurt in a consumer squeeze.

Agreed on Morrison.

Tesco keep drifting into the oblivion. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
4 minutes ago, Errol said:

I don't see how all the Directors/Board can possibly get away with not taking similar percentage cuts. After all, they are explicitly trying to look for ways to cut costs, and any such exercise has to start from the top.

Very funny - you should do stand up comedy ;-)