House Price Crash Forum

What’s The Best Currency?

pby

HOLA441

I’m not much of money whizz, but I was wondering with the markets changing so much what people think is the best currency to have your money in at the moment? Or is the whole worlds currency system f*cked and should I be getting plenty of sheep (bring on the sheep jokes :P ) and salt in for when we start trading in livestock and ye old minerals?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I'm liking GBP/USD at the moment :) but worth a punt for a quick short term gain would be AUD/JPY. Perhaps the high has already passed in which case some might suggest the NZD pair would see some good action at the start of next week.

But it's anyone's guess at the moment :)

HOLA444
HOLA445

BTW, if you have money to invest then forget currency, you want to buy some antimatter. I believe it's seen a four trillion % rise since 1999 :) hehe. Seriously, antimatter, Cocaine or Saffron would be a solid investment right now. Isn't LSD up there too?

HOLA446
I'm liking GBP/USD at the moment :) but worth a punt for a quick short term gain would be AUD/JPY. Perhaps the high has already passed in which case some might suggest the NZD pair would see some good action at the start of next week.

But it's anyone's guess at the moment :)

Good job you're not a doctor. :lol:

HOLA447

both RBA and RBNZ will cut, both by 0.25% IMHO

NZD/JPY on a downward path for sure, maybe a collapse at some point if we can get global risk aversion ...

can see a 4 fig figure move in a day or so if the carry traders get nervous...

you have to make decisions on a day by day basis

if the russians cut off oil next week i see oil up and eur up....

this is a real possibility oh will be a technical fault with the pipeline... make no mistake they have had a guts full of american expansionist policies... missiles in poland = higer oil prices... us to decide...

HOLA448
HOLA449
I’m not much of money whizz, but I was wondering with the markets changing so much what people think is the best currency to have your money in at the moment? Or is the whole worlds currency system f*cked and should I be getting plenty of sheep (bring on the sheep jokes :P ) and salt in for when we start trading in livestock and ye old minerals?

Sterling doesn't look too bad it has weakened (vs Euro) over the last year and should be near to bottom. For some reason money supply is still rising at 14%+ (link) but that can't be sustainable. Bottom line: buy whatever you think you might need.

HOLA4410
both RBA and RBNZ will cut, both by 0.25% IMHO

NZD/JPY on a downward path for sure, maybe a collapse at some point if we can get global risk aversion ...

can see a 4 fig figure move in a day or so if the carry traders get nervous...

EUR's a safe bet but I wouldn't empty my coffers of those yankee $ just yet, they'll continue to get stronger :)

I'm interested to see by midweek if your NZD prediction is correct. Betcha a pip it's not ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The best currency for low risk doesn't really exist, you can buy and sell both to always stay level. So if you deal in two

currencies you end up balanced with maybe a tiny imbalance every now and then.

If you want to make lots of money you need to go against what everyone else thinks, know something nobody else does

or make huge bets with massive amounts of short term borrwed cash.

HOLA4413

Betcha a pip it's not

AUD/JPY will bounce after traders realise RBA not go on cutting spree and only moved 0.25% , kiwi will bounce with them but AUD/NZD will go up..

then RBNZ will cut (this is 100% given .... 0.25% cut) many more to come....

my advice sell NZD/JPY around 77.35

have a buy order on AUD about 50 pips below market at announcement time, headline will drop but as statement is read it will rally and short squeze aussie is not as bad as people think... yet

NZD sell if 68.2 broken maybe have a sell order at 67.95 its a long way down to 60 maybe we see 65 or 63 on this run

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
BTW, if you have money to invest then forget currency, you want to buy some antimatter. I believe it's seen a four trillion % rise since 1999 :) hehe. Seriously, antimatter, Cocaine or Saffron would be a solid investment right now. Isn't LSD up there too?

The war on drugs is not working and the output from afganistan has gone up 300% since we liberated them

Heroin is now 700% cheaper then it was in the 1970's

Gov could aways do a Oliver North and sell drugs on the street to finance a war.

You might do better looking at food

HOLA4423
EUR's a safe bet but I wouldn't empty my coffers of those yankee $ just yet, they'll continue to get stronger :)

I'm interested to see by midweek if your NZD prediction is correct. Betcha a pip it's not ;)

The trouble with currency dealing is you get a bunch of dealing costs and then have to contend with different interest rates.

I could have fairly easily traded my STR fund into Dollars or Yen, but would have had to surrender a few percent in fees and then contend with low interest rates.

So far Sterling has lost close to 10% against the Dollar, but switching in and then back again would cost probably 4% and I'd then get a lower interest rate, costing another 3%.

Ok, if the Pound goes to 1.50, then yes there will have been a gain to be had had I swapped out at GPBUSD= 2.00, but that only 25% gross, probably 16% net and is quite high risk.

That said, I am not convinced the Dollar's recovery is long term. I expect Sterling weakness for a bit against the Dollar, but actually the real issue is the Dollar, Euro and Pound are all western currencies that are overvalued against the Yuan.

I wouldn't touch the Euro for now, the ECB is about 8 months behind the BoE. So I suspect the Euro will dive sometime in the new year.

Edited by mikelivingstone

HOLA4424