Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum


New Members
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About pby

  • Rank

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

356 profile views
  1. I'm managing to get 520miles out of my 50L tank and that's a combination of motorway driving (so that's stop start on the M62 hell road) and normal everyday driving. Commute to work is 13 miles each way. I've been car sharing for about 3 years now so not felt the pinch as much, but if we ever have to stop doing that I'm not going to be happy in the pocket!!!
  2. Just to add my recent experience with estate agents, I've just had an offer accepted on a house after negotiating for 5 weeks!!!!!. It will not go SSTC until an instruction has been received from the bank. Estate agents have told me there was a viewing booked in for this weekend but it will now be cancelled. I have to say, after a bit of a bumpy start with them they've come up trumps and have done everything they could to help me. It took 3 days for my final offer to be accepted during which time I issued a 24 hour ultimatum that I would walk away if I didn't get an answer. It went right down to the final hour or so and the estate agents kept trying to get the vendors to give an answer but they dragged their feet before giving in. It's all worked out well so far, so fingers crossed.
  3. I've been in this exact same position myself. Fresh out of University 6 years ago, I opted to stay with parents to save a deposit. I just want my life to continue now so I'm trying to buy at the moment. My advice is if you really are determined to buy a house save enough deposit so you can get something that will feel like a home. That way if things do change afterwards, it doesn't really matter as it's your home rather than a stepping stone to what you want. May be in 1.5 years it will be a no brainer. For me it doesn't matter how the market goes now, I'm going to be able to get a house that has the space I want as well as the character. Who knows what life will bring but I can really see myself staying in this place and starting a family. It's been painful at times but it was worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  4. Tell me about it!!! Well unfortunately for them I've spotted another house this weekend. It's on at 180k which is just above the price range I was originally looking at but it is everything I want, with no compromises having to be met. I'm willing to go a lot closer to the asking price on one even if it is more expensive as it is far better value in my opinion. Viewing on Monday :-) I'm so hoping I can turn round to the vendors/estate agent of the first house and tell them to stick it!!!!!
  5. Well the saga continues. After 3 weeks and 2 raised offers the vendors finally gave me a target value once I said I had enough and this would be my last viewing. I can not believe it has taken them this long to actually put a figure out there, its 3k above what my offer is at the moment. And like magic on the day I say it's my last offer and I'm going to start looking else where as I'm getting bored, someone else has decided to view the property this weekend. Didn't see that one coming!!!!!
  6. Well it is a week since I put my raised offer in and the vendors are "still" negotiating the house they want down. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to be no closer to getting the house I want 2 weeks after I put in my original offer. Still no firm accept on my raised offer. Arghhhhh!
  7. This is exactly the type of thing I wanted to avoid. It just seems a conflict of interest. Offer was put forward and wasn't accepted as I kind of expected. Let the games begin....... :-)
  8. All I know is after making the offer early Monday morning, by the end of today she couldn't even give me a counter offer or even a no. That's the thing that annoys me most.
  9. Wish I has spotted this earlier before I posted my question. Great thread I have to say!
  10. I've put in an offer on a house and rang the estate agents today and things didn't quite go as I thought they would. Here is the story: House on market at 160K and I put an offer in at 140k after viewing house twice. I had made an appointment several weeks ago to speak to the Boultons mortgage broker today about mortgages but couldn't go as had to attend a meeting. When I rang up to cancel the mortgage broker I enquired as to how the offer went down with the sellers. The lady at the estate agent then told me she couldn't put a firm offer forward till I had been to their broker to check my details and immediately tried to arrange another meeting saying a firm offer could then be made. I countered this by saying various banks would give me the go ahead on the money so a meeting with them was not needed before an offer could be made. She then said again I needed to come in before a serious firm offer could be put forward. So my question is, is the estate agent lady trying to use details from my mortgage broker meeting to see how much more money they can squeeze out of me because it sounds like it to me?? I feel that if I have this meeting with them I've put all my cards on the table and they know financially how far they can push. I am willing to walk away if the price isn't right no matter how much I like it. I'm going to cancel the broker meeting for good now as the whole situation as annoyed me. Any advice??
  11. I'm going to go for a fix rate. I know rates are as low as they ever will be, but based on the fixed I'm looking at, interest comes in at about 32k over 20 years. That works out at 1.6K a year in interest or £133 per month. Mortgage would be about £530 a month as I want it paid off in 20 year (or less). To rent somewhere like it, it would probably cost £600-£650.
  12. Yes affordable and value are 2 very different things. Believe me, even though it is the most perfect house for me I've seen so far within my budget, they aren't going to get a sale unless the is a good amount come off it. When it comes to money my head rules. I'll be disappointed if it doesn't come up, but there is always a new set of properties just waiting to be put on the market this spring :-)
  13. As a first time buyer this story rings very true with me. Parents have allowed me to stay with them 5 years after coming back from Uni. Very, very cheap rent (basically just enough to cover my food and a contribution to some bills) on the condition 2/3 of my wage was saved at least. Now in a position to buy and most likely going to be putting an offer in on a house in the next week. On at 160K and was bought in 2004 as a new build for 140K. Managed to save up around a 35% deposit and mortgage would be 2.5-3 times income depending on how negotiation went. This place I want is perfect in everyway except for it being a relatively recent new build. I knew I would have to compromise on something, so building age it is.
  14. I swear to god this is the b***hiest forum I have ever had the pleasure of posting in. I'm a reader rather than a poster, however whenever I do decide to contribute and happen to mention my occupation someone always has to have a little dig. I’m all for people speaking their mind but seriously I’m beginning to think a lot of people on here have inferiority complexes.
  15. I'm rather lucky in that I have a good relationship with my parents but I'm increasingly wanting my own space now. The point you make about couples and having children is something that has been on my mind a lot recently. I know once I enter the system I need to be happy with where ever I buy as I will be there for a while due to the amount that would needed to be saved/paid off on mortgage to gain enough equity to move up the ladder. My hope is to miss the first step out and go straight to the 2nd or 3rd step to avoid having to move again anytime soon. I like my space and first time buyer houses are not what I want. Maybe I should just rent instead ;-)
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.