House Price Crash Forum

Families Who Break The Bin Rules And Overfill Will Get A £110 Fine...

HOLA441
Is this the infamous council pension scheme that is completely unsustainable? Which means the muggins council tax payers have to stump up ever greater amounts each year to fund the shortfall?

Perhaps that's what all these fines are for.

I do quite like the fact according the fines it's more morally acceptable to shoplift than it is to slightly over fill your bin.

Not only can councils fine you for overfilling pretty soon they will also have the legal ability not to take it, that was posted on here a few weeks back wasn't it.

The height of stupidity. So you overfill by an inch, and the bin doesn't get taken, meaning next time you have a collection you will have twice as much rubbish. You end up in a situation where you are always behind, and have a mass of festering rubbish sitting around you house all the time. It's like the con that charges people for going overdrawn, i.e. "you have no money so we're going to impose a financial penalty on you."

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Meanwhile in some parallel universe the rubbish fairy takes it all away and it miraculously evaporates leaving only a small cloud of pixie dust to drift over the meadow flowers and fluffy bunny rabbits.

Get real. What do you want to do - liberally coat the countryside with rubbish until we run out of holes in the ground? Leave your thousand-year legacy of rotting plastic for future generations to deal with? What the phuq is it with people - you generate this stuff, take responsibility for it. And if your council tax doesn't cover it maybe you aren't paying enough tax, just as previous generations didn't pay enough tax to support the infrastructure they now expect their kids to pay for.

HOLA443
Is this the infamous council pension scheme that is completely unsustainable? Which means the muggins council tax payers have to stump up ever greater amounts each year to fund the shortfall?

Perhaps that's what all these fines are for.

I do quite like the fact according the fines it's more morally acceptable to shoplift than it is to slightly over fill your bin.

Not only can councils fine you for overfilling pretty soon they will also have the legal ability not to take it, that was posted on here a few weeks back wasn't it.

If you're over 50 and have a public/private pension scheme then cash it in now, whilst you still can.

No amount of poll/income/bin/teletuby tax can sustain this folly.

HOLA444
Meanwhile in some parallel universe the rubbish fairy takes it all away and it miraculously evaporates leaving only a small cloud of pixie dust to drift over the meadow flowers and fluffy bunny rabbits.

Get real. What do you want to do - liberally coat the countryside with rubbish until we run out of holes in the ground? Leave your thousand-year legacy of rotting plastic for future generations to deal with? What the phuq is it with people - you generate this stuff, take responsibility for it. And if your council tax doesn't cover it maybe you aren't paying enough tax, just as previous generations didn't pay enough tax to support the infrastructure they now expect their kids to pay for.

I don't have a problem with recycling, and recognise we have to do it more, but I think this is counterproductive. People will flytip, it used to happen all the time when I was at Uni after the council changed to fortnightly collections. It's better to reward those that do recycle, and provide plenty of facilities to make it easy for people to recycle.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Environment Secretary Hilary Benn has backed on-the-spot fines of up to £110 for those who overfill their bins, leave them out too early, or put out extra sacks of rubbish alongside them.

Extra sacks of rubbish? The swines. I mean they pay their council tax AND they expect to get some services back at the same time. What planet are these people living on? Bloody freeloaders.

When I was a kid the binman would come up the path take the bin down and empty it and then return the bin, they didnt always put the lid back on which made my mother grumpy ( well grumpier).

It was part of the job.

Yep. And now WE do the wheeling out and returning and pay more for the privilege.

I expect many will start fly tipping their waste at night.

If I had my own bin (I share a communal wheelie bin at the moment) and I had some extra rubbish (for whatever reason) that would tip me over the edge, I'd divide the excess into carrier bags and each time I went to the local shops, I'd put one of them into the public litter bins.

Not ideal or public spirited I know but others wouldn't even make that effort.

HOLA447
Extra sacks of rubbish? The swines. I mean they pay their council tax AND they expect to get some services back at the same time. What planet are these people living on? Bloody freeloaders.

Yep. And now WE do the wheeling out and returning and pay more for the privilege.

If I had my own bin (I share a communal wheelie bin at the moment) and I had some extra rubbish (for whatever reason) that would tip me over the edge, I'd divide the excess into carrier bags and each time I went to the local shops, I'd put one of them into the public litter bins.

Not ideal or public spirited I know but others wouldn't even make that effort.

make sure you dont leave a receipt/letter that could trace it back to you. councils are sifting through public bins to look for evidence to fine people for throwing away private waste in public bins, as this man found out:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article40772.ece

“an offence under Section 87 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990”. It continued: “Domestic refuse from your property was dumped into a street litter bin . . . the fixed penalty is £50.”
Edited by moosetea

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
What annoys me about this is, as a hard working, single person, who has potentially to travel away in the week to work, or perhaps those who are required by their boss to spend time working away .... how the heck can you put the bin out on the right day?

It's not always possible for everybody. We aren't all sat at home all day long, checking the wall chart and putting it out on the right day. For some it's not possible because they're out there working to pay their way.

I used to work away from home from Monday am to Friday pm. My refuse collectors used to come round the back of the house and take the rubbish away. A few years on they changed it so they'd only collect from the front of the house.

If I were living like that now, I wouldn't be able to put my bins out on the right day any longer.

If you can't be around to put your rubbish out on the right day and you can't afford to pay the £110 fine, why not take your wheely bin into town on Saturday night, spend £25 getting smashed in Weatherspoons, then drunkenly empty it out all over the place for a mere £80 fine, thus saving yourself a cool fiver.

HOLA4411
Why is it that everyone on here seems to ignore the fact that it's a landfill problem.

Why is everyone not prepared to recycle as much as possible?

How much rubbish is dumped into bins that could actually be easily be recycled?

It's not that black an white. People won't be forced into recycling, they'll just fly tip. School fields are going to look pretty rotten in a year's time.

Plus fine. How can anyone justify a bin fine that's higher then that of a shoplifters'??!?

HOLA4412
When discounts are given for recycling, I will recycle. Until then tough. Currently the incentives arent there to make it worth my while.

Nice - If only everyone in the world was so mindfull of the consequences of our actions and not only motivated by greed. That way we could all be headed for an environmental sh1tstorm together.

Oh wait, nearly everyone is just like you and the sh1tstorm clouds are growing VERY big.

Yup - after reading this I think these fines are an excellent idea

Edited by sbn

HOLA4413

I have a green waste bin, which I fill often as we have a lot of trees and hedges. I then have to leave the bin in the street for several weeks until the council decide they feel like collecting it. There is no schedule that seems to be available despite repeated requests for one. Collection days seem totally random and may be in 2 weeks, or it may be in 6. It may be tuesday afternoon, saturday morning or any other time of the week.

They are so disorganises and incompetent that it is beyond a joke, but I bet they will be extremely efficient when it comes to giving fines ( I don't believe they have started yet where I live).

HOLA4414
When discounts are given for recycling, I will recycle. Until then tough. Currently the incentives arent there to make it worth my while.

Why do you need an incentive to recycle? How difficult is it?

Frankly if that's your attitude then lets increase fines for over-full bins to £500.

HOLA4415

I used to be a binman, 15 years ago, and wheely bins didn't exist at the time. Instead, people used some plastic bags, buckets, and other kind of cr*p bin containers. We used to have to manually empty all the rubbish in the truck, and the big metallic plate would crush the lot and "swallow" everything, sometime bursting a bag or two, from which a disgusting liquid or even rotten food would be vomitted back from the truck towards us. You needed a strong stomach and good reflexes to do the job.

So I can understand why binmen and councils want to see wheely bins that don't overflow, and I am glad it is becoming enforced as people often just see their side of the story and don't care about others.

As far as I am concerned, £110 fine is a very good idea as it will discourage people using their bins stupidly.

Edited by Le garçon

HOLA4416
It's not that black an white. People won't be forced into recycling, they'll just fly tip. School fields are going to look pretty rotten in a year's time.

Plus fine. How can anyone justify a bin fine that's higher then that of a shoplifters'??!?

Fly tipping requires more time and effort than recycling.

Social responsibility? Or is that concept outdated now?

HOLA4417

Frankly if that's your attitude then lets increase fines for over-full bins to £500.

I try to recycle. The cardboard packaging says yes recycle me, but my blue recycle bin (supplied by the council) says no sorry, no cardboard!!

No wonder people can't be bothered, which is a shame.

HOLA4418

Hi all,

I must say that I'm in favour of recycling. It doesn't cause me great incovenience in terms of running out of black bin space and I try to recycle as much as is practical (I'm not a recycling zealot by any measure).

What does annoy me is that my council does not collect plastic which is the most persistent and probably most volumous of all the waste we produce. They go for all the quick, easy and profitable kills like glass, tins and paper/cardboard. If you want to recycle plastic bottles you need to take them to a local bottle bank. I do this but it does mean a trip every now and then once the cardboard box in the kitchen gets full.

If the council and governments were serious about being green they would target the worst types of waste first, not the most economical to recycle.

Regards,

Q

HOLA4419

I dont overfill my bin, hence will not be fined. But I dont recycle either. I guess they could give me a smaller bin, which might prove a problem.

I dont design the over the top packaging that products come in, start fining the manufacturers and they will soon use less. I'm also sick of watching my council tax rise and rise while watching the services I get from this reduce.

So if they want me to put more effort into disposing of my rubbish, they can reduce what they charge me in return. Otherwise, I carry on as normal.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
I try to recycle. The cardboard packaging says yes recycle me, but my blue recycle bin (supplied by the council) says no sorry, no cardboard!!

No wonder people can't be bothered, which is a shame.

So fill your blue box with those items that your council will currently recyle. It's not rocket science.

Presumably you know your council will then dispose of the blue box contents. If they haven't got an end use for thick cardboard (presumably paper fibres are too short once they've been used for cardboard) then why expect them to take it from you?

I too have a council that won't currently take thick cardboard or plastics or aluminium or phone books. But these can be taken occasionally to the main recycling yards. It really isn't that problematic.

We're a family of 4 (including a toddler still in nappies) and we generate less than 2 bin bags of rubbish a week.

HOLA4423
I dont overfill my bin, hence will not be fined. But I dont recycle either. I guess they could give me a smaller bin, which might prove a problem.

I dont design the over the top packaging that products come in, start fining the manufacturers and they will soon use less. I'm also sick of watching my council tax rise and rise while watching the services I get from this reduce.

So if they want me to put more effort into disposing of my rubbish, they can reduce what they charge me in return. Otherwise, I carry on as normal.

Landfill tax EU directive mean anything to you?

Probably not. Buffoon.

HOLA4424
I dont design the over the top packaging that products come in, start fining the manufacturers and they will soon use less.

This is the real problem - they are trying to make the consumer pay for the excesses of the producers. Go in most shops these days and anything you buy is probably wrapped and packaged twice already. Then they automatically give you a carrier bag to put it in.

Years back when I lived in the USA there was a 15 cent deposit on bottles and aluminium cans. As a result you never saw one as litter, everyone took them back to the supermarket to get their deposit back. If the government really wanted to encourage recycling they could make the supermarkets do this, but oh no, lets not offend the big supermarkets.

HOLA4425

These stupid rules and fine will keep coming untill people get togeather and demand change and that involves kick our corupt leaders out for taking bribes for corporations that empty our bins and enforce laws so that farmers can not sell food direct to the public.

Time for revolution as asking nicely does not seem to be working