House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

Families Who Break The Bin Rules And Overfill Will Get A £110 Fine...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...ob-receive.html

Householders who put too much rubbish in their bins face tougher punishments than shoplifters and drunken louts.

Environment Secretary Hilary Benn has backed on-the-spot fines of up to £110 for those who overfill their bins, leave them out too early, or put out extra sacks of rubbish alongside them.

The price of defying rubbish regulations is £30 higher than the £80 fixed penalty fine given to shoplifters or those involved in drunken disorder in city centres.

The confirmation that Labour has been putting pressure on town halls and their bin police comes after three years of rapid growth in the number of fines handed out to residents for 'littering' - the offence committed by those who infringe strict wheelie bin rules.

Around 20,000 tickets for breach of rubbish collection rules are thought to have been issued in 2006, the latest year for which figures have been released. Tickets usually demand fines of £100 or £110.

Legislation covering on-the-spot fines for bin offences says they should be at least £75, but lays down no upper limit.

The Government has always insisted that the upper levels of bin fines were a matter for local councils to decide, but yesterday the Environment Department confirmed that ' enforcement' guidance laid down for councils from Whitehall has set the £110 level.

A spokesman for Defra said: 'The guidance is not new. It sets fines at between £75 and £110.'

Another great way to fleece cash from the public.

The govt is desperate to tax us more but this is really getting low, so if you steal you get an £80 fine put out too much rubbish and you get fined more.

So it's more economical to be a shop lifter.

The govt is desperate to tax us more but this is really getting low, so if you steal you get an £80 fine put out too much rubbish and you get fined more.

It's all indicative of what a thoroughly horrible society Britain has become.

Does anyone here know the actual legislative law that this is all based on?

Usually local councils are so imcompetent they screw up somewhere in the administrative process, thus making actual inforcement illegal or leaving themselves open to restitution claims, much like they did with decriminalised parking enforcement.

Typical UK policy, punish everyone for not doing as they are told in a desperate attempt to seem green. I have no problem with encouraging recycling but the Govt's approach to it is counterproductive. They started the recycling drive much later than European countries, but expect to catch up to them in no time. The facilities we have for recycling here are poor to say the least, so a lot of things simply have to go in the bin because we don't have the facilities to deal with it.

I wonder if I can fine the binmen for leaving our bins overturned and strewn all over the payment on collection day.

Time for private rubbish collections and take the strain off the poor councils. They clearly aren't up to the task. We need to take pity on them.

The councils don't care about serving the community, they care about persecuting and penalising folks.

These rubbish officers or whatever they are called would be better employed in the high street stopping litter bugs and not people who actually use the bin for it's intended purpose. If they want people to dercrease the amount of rubbish this isnt the way to go about it,,,,,,,, tossers!

What exactly does council tax pay for?

I mean what do you get for £1300 pa and why cant you opt out if you want to provide those services yourself?

What exactly does council tax pay for?

I mean what do you get for £1300 pa and why cant you opt out if you want to provide those services yourself?

You get to pay for some workshy chav or teenage mum to live for a month, if you opted out then people might have some motivation to work and take care of themselves :o

When I was a kid the binman would come up the path take the bin down and empty it and then return the bin, they didnt always put the lid back on which made my mother grumpy ( well grumpier).

It was part of the job.

You get to pay for some workshy chav or teenage mum to live for a month, if you opted out then people might have some motivation to work and take care of themselves :o

no the council tax doesn’t pay for benefits as far as i know. it is for something, does anyone know what council tax goes on?

We now do a weekly drive to the tip with the 'excess' rubbish. I can't believe this is the intended result of these 'green' policies.

I expect many will start fly tipping their waste at night. If they are looking for somewhere to dump rubbish where it will almost certainly be collected the next morning may i suggest the Council Offices?

no the council tax doesn’t pay for benefits as far as i know. it is for something, does anyone know what council tax goes on?

I think part of it goes on the costs of LA housing schemes.

What annoys me about this is, as a hard working, single person, who has potentially to travel away in the week to work, or perhaps those who are required by their boss to spend time working away .... how the heck can you put the bin out on the right day?

It's not always possible for everybody. We aren't all sat at home all day long, checking the wall chart and putting it out on the right day. For some it's not possible because they're out there working to pay their way.

I used to work away from home from Monday am to Friday pm. My refuse collectors used to come round the back of the house and take the rubbish away. A few years on they changed it so they'd only collect from the front of the house.

If I were living like that now, I wouldn't be able to put my bins out on the right day any longer.

I dont understand how they can do this, its completely barmy.

I came back from holiday yesterday and the other 3 flat owners in our block are also on holiday. Yet when I went to put my rubbish in the bin it was completely full. I suspect the council hasnt picked up the rubbish this week and someone is putting rubbish in my bin.

I live in a tiny one bed flat in london, I cant keep waste in my flat, it would be horrendous in the heat. I dont have anywhere to put it, I have to use my bin.

If they fine me £110 I would be completely horrified. Last week we got told by the council that we were parking illegally on our drive and must have a drop in curb put in or face action.

I can see this happening very soon, which makes me think, they are using my council tax money to hire people to impose penalties against me, much like the govenment seems intent on using my income tax money to inflate house prices beyond my reach too.

Talk about hitting weak targets, this is appauling!

What annoys me about this is, as a hard working, single person, who has potentially to travel away in the week to work, or perhaps those who are required by their boss to spend time working away .... how the heck can you put the bin out on the right day?

It's not always possible for everybody. We aren't all sat at home all day long, checking the wall chart and putting it out on the right day. For some it's not possible because they're out there working to pay their way.

I used to work away from home from Monday am to Friday pm. My refuse collectors used to come round the back of the house and take the rubbish away. A few years on they changed it so they'd only collect from the front of the house.

If I were living like that now, I wouldn't be able to put my bins out on the right day any longer.

Don't you have decent reasobale neighbours who would help you out?

I'd of thought Dog's weekly tax abuse posts would answer this.

You also pay for management consultants and their blue sky thinking!!

An appalling percentage goes on pensions, I believe. (Not yours.)

oh i know the answer i just ask the question so others think about it

Blue skies , ****, please don't say "transparent" or I may have to give you crippling kick in the fork!

I live in an area that is mostly coucil housing. We have no wheelie bins and we just pile up our rubbish bags in some pre arranged area in the street. You simply would not beleive the stuff that they will take. You leave it there - and it will get taken. I sh1t you not, beds, sofas, washing machines, cars - you could dump quickset concrete there and it would be gone before it even had a change to go hard.

One of the few perks of being forced to live in a place that most like to wind their windows up as they drive through!

Edit - Just to confirm, this isnt the locals recycling other peoples cast off because they cant afford new goods, its the local council jumping to attention the moment some Trisha watching chav complains that their vista has been spoiled. OH BTW I dont know when they get the chance to look out of the window, most of the rubbish consists of 84" plasma TV packaging.

Edited by sbn

I live in an area that is mostly coucil housing. We have no wheelie bins and we just pile up our rubbish bags in some pre arranged area in the street. You simply would not beleive the stuff that they will take. You leave it there - and it will get taken. I sh1t you not, beds, sofas, washing machines, cars - you could dump quickset concrete there and it would be gone before it even had a change to go hard.

One of the few perks of being forced to live in a place that most like to wind their windows up as they drive through!

Are you sure they are council workers taking it all away?!

Typical UK policy, punish everyone for not doing as they are told in a desperate attempt to seem green. I have no problem with encouraging recycling but the Govt's approach to it is counterproductive. They started the recycling drive much later than European countries, but expect to catch up to them in no time. The facilities we have for recycling here are poor to say the least, so a lot of things simply have to go in the bin because we don't have the facilities to deal with it.

I have a colleague who doesn't recycle anything at all, and never will until she's absolutely forced to. She has plenty of room for the green bins, but the attitude is a shruggy, 'Why should I?'

Suspect there are still many similar.

An appalling percentage goes on pensions, I believe. (Not yours.)

Is this the infamous council pension scheme that is completely unsustainable? Which means the muggins council tax payers have to stump up ever greater amounts each year to fund the shortfall?

Perhaps that's what all these fines are for.

I do quite like the fact according the fines it's more morally acceptable to shoplift than it is to slightly over fill your bin.

Not only can councils fine you for overfilling pretty soon they will also have the legal ability not to take it, that was posted on here a few weeks back wasn't it.

I have a colleague who doesn't recycle anything at all, and never will until she's absolutely forced to. She has plenty of room for the green bins, but the attitude is a shruggy, 'Why should I?'

Suspect there are still many similar.

Yeah i'm sure there are, but I doubt this policy will change that. Might be better to reward people that do recycle with a council tax reduction for example, otherwise people will just flytip.

Haven't got too much sympathy for those complaining. Unless you have a family of more than 5, you shouldn't regularly overfill your bin. If you are then you should consume less and recycle more. Occasionally e.g. when moving house there is need for more bin space, true, but this is so rare there shouldn't be too much hardship in going to the tip.