House Price Crash Forum

What Happened To Hbos's Housing Figures?

HOLA441
HOLA442
Weren't the monthly housing figures from the Halifax, due out last Friday, due out today after being postponed from the end of last week? Are they out yet or is it going to be something after the markets close?

http://forexfactory.com/calendar.php

This site has tomorrow Tuesday - "tentative"!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Weren't the monthly housing figures from the Halifax, due out last Friday, due out today after being postponed from the end of last week? Are they out yet or is it going to be something after the markets close?

They seem to have disappeared into the same vortex that Nationwide's figures did, but for much longer. One theory is that when they finally come out of the space-time loop they are caught in and back into our dimension, they will be less scary than before they went in, and this delay is simply to allow Halifax to turn the data into something more acceptable to the public. They can't get away with this every month. The BOE theory is pretty solid as well, although it presumes the figures will be dreadful and the goal is to influence the MPC. One way or another we're talking about a bit of jiggery-pokery and the end is nigh.

I add in edit that to me it doesn't matter what the figures are; their legitimacy is doubtful in my mind now because of the delay. What tells me all I need to know is that Nationwide and Halifax both have had to delay their reports by significant margins. Deeds, not data, tell us what we need to know.

Edited by Thucydides

HOLA448
HOLA449
http://forexfactory.com/calendar.php

This site has tomorrow Tuesday - "tentative"!

And slipping. Now moved to Wednesday.

Huge debate about seasoning clearly going on:

"How about a little more salt."

"Now that will just put up their blood pressure up."

"Pepper?"

"No, can't be done with the sneezing."

"Extra hot chilli sauce?"

"Definitely not, it leaves a burning taste in the wallet and will cause the market to evacuate its bowels too quickly."

Edited by mikelivingstone

HOLA4410
Halifax June Figures

As you can see the page is blank. They have lost them!

The clerk that collates the Index had them on two floppy disks on the 08:45 Kings Cross train up to Edinburgh.

When he arrived at HBOS HQ he didn't have the disks!

They are making up the figures as I speak. :P

And in other news, a clerk from HBOS has been fired for losing the Halifax HPI data for June 2008.

He claimed to have taken the figures out to play with at lunchtime but forgot to put them back... ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I rang up HBOS and they said "We're waiting for someone to buy a house".

They can't delay them like this for much longer or they'll be out on the same day as the July figures. Unless they're planning on delaying July's by half a month as well.

The bottom line is the damage is done, retail is craping itself, shares are being flushed away like there was no tomorrow, the crash is here. We are in recession already, and all that remains is for the figures to catch up and demonstrate this. Houses are worth at least 10% less than eight months ago and everyone knows *at least* another 20% is coming off.

Delaying these figures is as ridiculous as a guy trying to push back a glacier.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
fingers crossed. a figure like 11% is sure to illicit big, big headlines. there's no bouncing back from this now, whatever they try. :lol:

Last month Martin Ellis predicted (and that has BIG implications on his employer's balance sheet - think writedowns) 9% YoY drop by the end of the year.

I'm not really a conspiracy theory nutter, but I hardly think he's going to allow the following month's statistics to go out contradicting him by 2% and half a year.

HOLA4425
Zimbabwe Electoral Commission is releasing them this month

If the Halifax figures are really bad, we can trust in BBC Pravda to engineer some diversion in the form of Afghanistan/Iraq/Zambabwe/Global Warming.