House Price Crash Forum

waspi women

HOLA441

When they learned they couldn’t get their state pensions until their male counterparts at age 65, why didn’t they just suck it up and work on an extra 2 or 3 years?!

What am I missing about this story?!

They just seem to be crying that ‘they were the ones hard done by’ just because it was their generation that saw the proper alignment with the men’s state pensions. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
8 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

When they learned they couldn’t get their state pensions until their male counterparts at age 65, why didn’t they just suck it up and work on an extra 2 or 3 years?!

What am I missing about this story?!

They just seem to be crying that ‘they were the ones hard done by’ just because it was their generation that saw the proper alignment with the men’s state pensions. 

Who cares, the state takes everything from some and gives nothing back......unless fortunate and the state gives everything, your future/life/pension, your children's life is reliant on the generosity of the state/other tax payers...;)

HOLA443
On 20/02/2024 at 07:40, Roman Roady said:

I know one who had it all...housewife in a beautiful multi bedroomed detached house located in the sticks (but walking distance from a train station), acres of land, gardener (with his own toilet outside), kids in private school, lawyer (partner) husband, her car was a Range Rover, his a Porche 911 whatever. Two to three holidays per year.

They would buy a house, spend a fortune paying "workmen" to do it up, then move after a couple of years. Each place was lovely and would have done me and my family for life. However, enough was never enough no matter how much he earned, they borrowed more and more.

He married her because she was exceptionally easy on the eye...could have easily been on the front cover of Vogue etc IMPO; she sadly settled into being a typical trophy wife. She married him for...well the obvious. Prior to their babies arriving, they were a very glamorous couple attending all sorts of swanky city dos.

When the kids arrived, the cracks appeared and their substance abuse got worse. He was a drinker, I assume that was how he managed the stress of his work life and they both liked the exotic nasal decongestant...the Universes way of letting you know that you have too much money!

The wheels started coming off 20 years ago and lets just say that the symptoms could be spectacular!

I used to see a lot of them but I never quite knew what I was walking into when I went to their house...it could be a calm and peaceful oasis from my problems for a while, or it could be an utter war zone. Their choice of friends was questionable. Some are now dead, others in prison.

The couple are divorced now, she got a nice settlement and he ended up with a criminal record. I think he is now abroad hiding from the UK criminal justice system for some alcohol related spat...getting by as an odd job man somewhere. The next time I hear of him will be his obituary, I am quite sure of that. All of the teachers who ever taught him at school all agreed that he was the brightest kid that they had ever taught.

The nice little 3 bed house that she ended up in wasnt good enough for her....all paid for of course. I think she fell prey to this new breed of con men who go after these divorced women for a few hundred thousand quid.

Its all gone now, no pension, no savings, no house...nothing for either of them in their late fifties/early sisxtees.

He always wanted to be a writer. Had they just stopped and taken a break from their unsustainable lifestyle 15 years ago it could have all been so different.

Such a waste.

But there you have it, a tragedy from 21st century Britain.

What happened to their poor kids?

HOLA444
11 hours ago, Si1 said:

What happened to their poor kids?

I believe they made it through Uni and now working. They may have lost the lottery WRT their inheritance, but they won the DNA lottery...brains of the father, looks of the mother. It could have been the other way around which would have been a disaster!

HOLA445
On 22/03/2024 at 13:12, MARTINX9 said:

The comical thing is you would actually get more money via pension credit if you had just rolled up from abroad aged 65 than if you had worked in the UK for 40 years and paid in to a state pension. Pension credit also gives you free council tax, dental care, glasses and more.

Pension credit is of course means tested - but it shows how bad the state pension (£156 maximum basic rate for a single person) is that is nearly £50 a month lower than the subsistence level supposedly guaranteed by pension credit (£201 a month for a single person). For those of working age contributions based JSA is £85 a week - all you would get without means testing if you lost your job even if you paid NI for 20-30 years prior - and after six months it stops.

There literally is no benefit in terms of our welfare system from having worked and paid in - you are no better off than someone who just turns up or never worked a day. No wonder so many think there is no point working at all!

Its also dead mean - my aunt (I was her executor) died a couple of years ago (she had worked as an NHS nurse for 30 years before retiring to Ireland). The DWP actually asked for 6 days state pension to be repaid post her death - she also got an Irish state pension which they generously carried on paying for six weeks post death as its seen there as a way to help families through the first few weeks post bereavement. Wasn't a big deal in money terms - but just came across as unnecessarily brutal for relatives left behind grieving! 

Our whole benefits totally unsustainable - and will all collapse one day - but in some respects it is totally inequitable and doesn't incentivise working.

Hence I am not relying on my state pension.

6 days pension. I think I’d be tempted to write several dozen low value cheques to pay that back, just to spite them! 

HOLA446
On 20/02/2024 at 12:13, Nick Cash said:

Another anti women thread. What a hoot.

You “men” have never met a successful woman I’d suggest. 

I don't visit here often anymore but when I come across threads like this I know why.  Full of misogyny and most of them are talking about a subject that doesn't affect them and they know very little about.

HOLA447
1 hour ago, quine said:

I don't visit here often anymore but when I come across threads like this I know why.  Full of misogyny and most of them are talking about a subject that doesn't affect them and they know very little about.

ve5U0Iz.gif

HOLA448
1 hour ago, quine said:

The mostly men on this site feel hard done by for a variety of reasons but are hardly ever represented in the media or courts or in parliament for better or worse. So when they see other interest groups getting attention they tend to overreact.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

The mostly men on this site feel hard done by for a variety of reasons but are hardly ever represented in the media or courts or in parliament for better or worse. So when they see other interest groups getting attention they tend to overreact.

Yes

HOLA4412
5 minutes ago, quine said:

Yes

Also somewhat off topic but may-be related. The very old fashioned format of this forum and its old fashioned original topic of HPC leads to a particular generation (45-55?) of mostly IT people (who else was using this type of forum 20 years ago) who categorise stuff by numbers (£££) or, even in binary (makes sense or doesn't make sense). 

Tryna bring it back to topic - So they're not far off the ages of these waspi women and thinking about their retirement and are not happy about the media attention given.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
39 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Back on topic, Dodds this morning has refused to say if Labour will compensate WASPI women, This is despite Starmer et al campaigning in 2019 to give them full compensation.

That's Rachel reeves imo. Imposing steel discipline in anything that requires money. She's going to be one of the more powerful chancellors.

HOLA4415
On 2/20/2024 at 12:13 PM, Nick Cash said:

Another anti women thread. What a hoot.

You “men” have never met a successful woman I’d suggest. 

Gender has nothing to do with the debate. A group of people were given fair warning they’d have to work to the same as others from their generation. Meanwhile you get folk watch as the state pension age is pushed back further and further. How’s that fair?!

I’d say this forum skews toward the more hard working of people in the UK because most of us just want a better country and greater equality. If these boards are frequented more by males, then to me that simply shows women care less about house prices or at least debating them. 

Beyond a silly Michael winner gif, you’d be scraping the barrel to find any misogyny around here.  

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

That's Rachel reeves imo. Imposing steel discipline in anything that requires money. She's going to be one of the more powerful chancellors.

I think she is going to be one of the more stressed out chancellors, having to defend the British economy against all the rest of the Labour Party.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
23 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

Gender has nothing to do with the debate. A group of people were given fair warning they’d have to work to the same as others from their generation. Meanwhile you get folk watch as the state pension age is pushed back further and further. How’s that fair?!

I’d say this forum skews toward the more hard working of people in the UK because most of us just want a better country and greater equality. If these boards are frequented more by males, then to me that simply shows women care less about house prices or at least debating them. 

Beyond a silly Michael winner gif, you’d be scraping the barrel to find any misogyny around here.  

lol are you reading the same forum as the rest of us? IT's full of misogyny in terms of posts but plenty of posters who aren't tolerate / ignore them.

HOLA4419
17 minutes ago, Lagarde's Drift said:

lol are you reading the same forum as the rest of us? IT's full of misogyny in terms of posts but plenty of posters who aren't tolerate / ignore them.

It’s a pretty acrid, unpleasant and hostile forum, but I think misogyny is way, way down the list of its misdemeanours…

HOLA4420
5 hours ago, quine said:

Or pro younger women under 50 perhaps -  who would have had to pay for it all via their taxes - while waiting ever longer for their state pension if they ever live long enough to qualify as it rises to 70 and beyond no doubt. 

Those younger women won't get any special treatment in the pension system. It is far more of a generational point actually - as the young of working age are the ones who would be footing the bill!

Equal treatment - not special treatment is the matter of debate.

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4421
34 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

It’s a pretty acrid, unpleasant and hostile forum, but I think misogyny is way, way down the list of its misdemeanours…

I struggle to see how this forum is especially misogynistic too, there's some certainly, but in a forum full of blokes you'll statistically get a bit. I don't see how the WASPI issue is an attack explicitly on women either, it just so happens the subjects of the complaint are women but their gender rights etc aren't under scrutiny here so can't see why it's misogyny. 

HOLA4422

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/03/23/moral-arguments-state-pension-irrelevant-there-is-no-money/

This guy gets it☝️

On Thursday, the Waspi campaign called on MPs to “put their money where their mouth is”. But it’s not “their” money. If they truly wanted to be unselfish, MPs would be much readier to say no to spending demands, thereby looking after the interests of those yet unborn and unbegot who will never thank them. But, sadly, the country is not in the mood for financial realism. As far as most media and most voters are concerned, spending someone else’s money is compassionate, and refusing to do so is mean.

Except that, for the last time, there is no money. Sooner rather than later, the country will find this out in the hardest imaginable way. 

Tick tock...

HOLA4423
2 hours ago, Pmax2020 said:

Posts 2, 3 and 7 are a small example. My comment you quoted was typed around that time. 

HOLA4424
8 minutes ago, Nick Cash said:

Posts 2, 3 and 7 are a small example. My comment you quoted was typed around that time. 

I wanted to disagree with you but those posts are indeed misogynistic to varying degrees. I hope they don't represent the general case but I could be corrected.

HOLA4425
4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I wanted to disagree with you but those posts are indeed misogynistic to varying degrees. I hope they don't represent the general case but I could be corrected.

I used to get annoyed but I’m just a tourist now. (To paraphrase Wreckless Eric “The Half of it”).