HOLA441
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
23 hours ago, Stewy said:

Not really - very few property transactions last time I checked. 

Don't have to sell a property to invest into something else.....those days of leveraging up on one property to buy another property are over....you can if you want....only fools come back for more of the same thing......diversity is key.;)

HOLA444
15 minutes ago, Stewy said:

Word salad. Still doesn't make sense. 

yep he's just plain wrong. unless he is stating stocks returns annualised reinvested are lower than savings which hasn't been the case since... forever? 

He does have a point about initial fees and charges but... not really. unless you're buying in sub 1k chunks but even then you could find a platform that gives you discounts for DCA or regular trading. 

HOLA445
HOLA446
On 16/02/2024 at 05:47, jiltedjen said:

with dividend shares, initially you may underperform inflation and the bog standard savings account for the first 5 years, but after that point with the compounding on dividends on about the 6th year you match that years performance in the bog standard savings account, then from that point onwards you start to pull ahead, to the point that in 10-20 tears time, the same dividend share you bought has a real return closer to 30-40% per year on your initial investment. 

Dividends are just shareholders' capital being returned to them.

HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA449

Leading U.S. stock indexes rose to record levels Wednesday afternoon as the Federal Reserve's projections for strong economic growth as interest rates decline whetted Wall Street’s appetite.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 each recorded all-time highs Wednesday after each index shot up following the Federal Open Markets Committee’s 2 p.m. update and Fed Chairman Jerome Powell’s subsequent press conference.

The Dow rose 1%, or 400 points, to close at 39,512, while the S&P rose 0.9% to its new high closing price of 5,225.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dereksaul/2024/03/20/sp-500-hits-all-time-high-as-fed-grows-friendlier/

HOLA4410
On 2/24/2024 at 7:41 AM, jiltedjen said:

means initially the safe savings accounts ‘win’ in return terms for the first 5 years

What "five years"? No one can predict such a period. No one.

Was that 5% return in a "safe savings account" a winner over the last one year, for example? No, as global equity percentage return has increased 4-5 fold in that period. But then take 2022, that piss-poor return of 0.5% on your cash would have been a far better bet than a 20% decline in global equity.

Golden rule number one of investing: don't try to time markets. 😉

Edited by DownwardSlopingPlateau

HOLA4411
27 minutes ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

What "five years"? No one can predict such a period. No one.

Was that 5% in a "safe savings account" a winner over the last one year, for example? No, as global equity has increased 4-5 fold in that period. But then take 2022, that piss-poor return of 0.5% on your cash would have been a far better bet than a 20% decline in global equity.

Golden rule number one of investing: don't try to time markets. 😉

and don't try and pick bottoms unless you want a smelly finger

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

Was that 5% in a "safe savings account" a winner over the last one year, for example? No, as global equity has increased 4-5 fold in that period. But then take 2022, that piss-poor return of 0.5% on your cash would have been a far better bet than a 20% decline in global equity.

No it hasn't! 

Global equity return over the last year is about 25%.  Not 500-600%.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, scottbeard said:

No it hasn't! 

Global equity return over the last year is about 25%.  Not 500-600%.

Everyone else understood the percentage return has gone up 4-5 fold in the year, not the monetary amount. But, just for you, I've added the word "return". Hopefully your heart and exclamation marks can take a rest now. 😉

HOLA4414
8 minutes ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

Everyone else understood the percentage return has gone up 4-5 fold in the year, not the monetary amount.

So what you meant was something completely different to what you wrote.

Yes, i'm sure everyone else understood it perfectly....

HOLA4415
2 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

So what you meant was something completely different to what you wrote.

Yes, i'm sure everyone else understood it perfectly....

You filling in for Stewy today? Trolling seems strong.

Yes, I'm sure everyone else thinks the S&P 500 (etc.) is sitting at 25,000 today....

Ps. You missed this:

8k0hsu.jpg

HOLA4416
23 minutes ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

You filling in for Stewy today? Trolling seems strong.

Yes, I'm sure everyone else thinks the S&P 500 (etc.) is sitting at 25,000 today....

Ps. You missed this:

8k0hsu.jpg

Your post was honestly a bit confusing. Every other percentage in your post was actual returns or losses, but you compared them to the change in return for global equities instead of just specifying the percentage for that as well

HOLA4417
22 minutes ago, DownwardSlopingPlateau said:

No, they all know it isn't, which means it was a confusing thing to write.

Anyway, I do get you main point - don't try and time markets.  And I disagree - I made a lot of money buying shares during short-lived panic crashes like just after 9/11 and March 2020.  

HOLA4418
44 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

No, they all know it isn't, which means it was a confusing thing to write.

Anyway, I do get you main point - don't try and time markets.  And I disagree - I made a lot of money buying shares during short-lived panic crashes like just after 9/11 and March 2020.  

Good point. We all did well in the early 2020s.

Personally I don't like this 'market' at all. The actual value of the assets has next to nothing to do with the price. It's all driven by central bank policy. People watch the Fed and nothing else matters. In a healthy market the price is driven by things like company earnings, not Fed minutes.

I don't see the current situation changing any time soon. So it's probably a safe bet to gamble on speculative assets continually rising in price. If they ever fall the Fed will just jump in a pump the price up again.

HOLA4419

The 500 is slow and steady.

Popular Global Tech funds have increased about 30-40% past year (after couple of poor years). Major  US companies like Apple, Microsoft dominate.

Investment 3 months 6 months 1 year 3 years 5 years
Fidelity Global Technology W GBP 8.34% 20.76% 30.55% 46.42% 173.36%
L&G Global Technology Index Trust C Acc 15.94% 29.75% 49.03% 68.13% 195.25%

So where next?.

Out of tech and into 500 or another sector?.

Out of US?.

Into 5% cash?.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 23/03/2024 at 10:55, wighty said:

The 500 is slow and steady.

Popular Global Tech funds have increased about 30-40% past year (after couple of poor years). Major  US companies like Apple, Microsoft dominate.

Fidelity Global Technology W GBP 8.34% 20.76% 30.55% 46.42% 173.36%
L&G Global Technology Index Trust C Acc 15.94% 29.75% 49.03% 68.13% 195.25%

So where next?.

Out of tech and into 500 or another sector?.

Out of US?.

Into 5% cash?.

Japan

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Some of my best investments over last few years, Rheinmetal, Lockheed and palantir as well as major oil and gas related stocks that pay insane dividends as US basically replaced Russia and some more by every measure in energy field 

Putin had learned nothing from Saddam 

One can make a killing (hahaha) investing in the demise of Nazis, talk about ESG

Edited by yelims

HOLA4425