House Price Crash Forum

Tesco Food Prices are Officially Insane

HOLA441
22 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

Supermarkets have been pushing the self checkouts for years now with more and more space being given over to them (from manned checkouts previously).  It's just part of automation/cutting labour costs.

They are actually convenient when they work properly and people know how/when to use them...

..Tesco seem to have the most reliable ones.  Sainsbury's checkouts have given me nothing but issues, despite seemingly using the same hardware.

.. Unfortunately, some shoppers still don't seem to understand that ALL the groceries need to be packed on the weighing platform together before paying .. they roll up with overflowing trollies and then tie the checkout and staff member up until their mess can be resolved.  Usually ignoring the trolley checkout zone placed next to the regular basket checkouts.

Love them, hate going to the supermarkets without them, slooooow. But they can be awful (Carrefour being the worst, complex and people get confused) or much better - surprisingly the best are in Consume in Spain. UK ones in the middle, but far better than Carrefour.

Edited by yodigo

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
9 minutes ago, yodigo said:

Love them, hate going to the supermarkets without them, slooooow. But they can be awful (Carrefour being the worst, complex and people get confused) or much better - surprisingly the best are in Consume in Spain. UK ones in the middle, but far better than Carrefour.

Chat to those in the queue.... compare notes and best practices.;)

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
11 hours ago, Wurzel Of Highbridge said:

I think you'll have a job finding items like flour at a better price than brick'n'motar supermarkets. Even Bookers is more on a lot of those longer life products.

Supermarkets won't let you rock up and buy 30 cans of beans either, they limit you at the checkout.

Flour is cheap though.... so, convenience seems more relevant, relative to price, when compared with other foodstuffs.  Similarly, tins of beans... they clearly have low wholesale value...  Both are better suited to planning ahead and making purchases of well-defined commodities (easiest online) rather than shopping in person to make specific selections from goods available.

I can understand supermarkets not wanting lumpy purchases.... it makes stock control harder... and that would make perfect sense for fresh produce.  With long-shelf-life items, however, stock-control would become a non-issue if the orders were delivered at some later date - say the following week.

9 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

Supermarkets have been pushing the self checkouts for years now with more and more space being given over to them (from manned checkouts previously).  It's just part of automation/cutting labour costs.

It cuts labour costs - at the expense of reducing the willingness of customers to spend.  If I have to fart about with a cumbersome check-out process (doing the labour myself, without the usual supermarket checkout conveniences) I'll be far less inclined to impulse purchase anything.  I'm sure that will affect supermarket profitability... I'd have thought it would be a greater concern than the marginal saving on staff wages.

I would have thought supermarkets would want customers to present 'overflowing trolleys' - full of goods they're prepared to purchase... Perhaps they don't?  Perhaps they now think low overheads and high margins are a better strategy?

HOLA447

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65255643

Oh look, one price cut at Tesco, lets get lots of free publicity on the Beeb... 

Tesco has cut the price of its milk for the first time since May 2020, in a possible sign that price rises for a weekly shop could be starting to ease.

Britain's largest supermarket said it would reduce its four pint bottle from £1.65 to £1.55 from Wednesday.

HOLA448
HOLA449
25 minutes ago, A.steve said:

It cuts labour costs - at the expense of reducing the willingness of customers to spend.  If I have to fart about with a cumbersome check-out process (doing the labour myself, without the usual supermarket checkout conveniences) I'll be far less inclined to impulse purchase anything.  I'm sure that will affect supermarket profitability... I'd have thought it would be a greater concern than the marginal saving on staff wages.

I would have thought supermarkets would want customers to present 'overflowing trolleys' - full of goods they're prepared to purchase... Perhaps they don't?  Perhaps they now think low overheads and high margins are a better strategy?

.. theres a separate area for trolley checkouts (not used it myself, I only ever fill a basket).

The self service machines were initially brought in for expediting people with baskets and generally they do a decent job for that ... the Tesco ones anyway.  I usually find them a benefit.

HOLA4410
15 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Jeez people do layer on the nostalgia.

Back in the day, when you had videoed things off the TV, did you still watch the adverts or did you fast forward?

That's right, you fast forwarded them.  You only watched adverts on live TV because you couldn't skip them.

Also, you remember the handful of good adverts from those decades, whilst forgetting all the hundreds of dull ones.

For every "re-record not fade away" ad that you remember were hundreds upon hundreds that were boring then and would be boring now.

People used to switch live TV off and go for a tea break if they didn`t want the ads, there were OFF switches back in the day you know.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
11 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

.. theres a separate area for trolley checkouts (not used it myself, I only ever fill a basket).

The self service machines were initially brought in for expediting people with baskets and generally they do a decent job for that ... the Tesco ones anyway.  I usually find them a benefit.

Those automatic tills do encourage buying few items.;)

HOLA4416
22 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Jeez people do layer on the nostalgia.

Back in the day, when you had videoed things off the TV, did you still watch the adverts or did you fast forward?

That's right, you fast forwarded them.  You only watched adverts on live TV because you couldn't skip them.

Also, you remember the handful of good adverts from those decades, whilst forgetting all the hundreds of dull ones.

For every "re-record not fade away" ad that you remember were hundreds upon hundreds that were boring then and would be boring now.

As Homer said. "If you don't watch the adverts it's like stealing TV".

HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, wighty said:

As Homer said. "If you don't watch the adverts it's like stealing TV".

Do people watch them like they used to do, they either flick to a different channel that hasn't synced ads at the same time, or check out what will be on later......or catch up with social media.....tbh I do not think ads are that noticed like they used to be, many just shut them out completely, consciously and unconsciously.....;)

HOLA4418
1 minute ago, winkie said:

Do people watch them like they used to do, they either flick to a different channel that hasn't synced ads at the same time, or check out what will be on later......or catch up with social media.....tbh I do not think ads are that noticed like they used to be, many just shut them out completely, consciously and unconsciously.....;)

switch to the smartphone 

HOLA4419
22 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

They are actually convenient when they work properly and people know how/when to use them...

..Tesco seem to have the most reliable ones.  Sainsbury's checkouts have given me nothing but issues, despite seemingly using the same hardware.

.. Unfortunately, some shoppers still don't seem to understand that ALL the groceries need to be packed on the weighing platform together before paying .. they roll up with overflowing trollies and then tie the checkout and staff member up until their mess can be resolved.  Usually ignoring the trolley checkout zone placed next to the regular basket checkouts.

well why should shoppers have to be experts in how it all works? Either make it so trivial you can't get it wrong and buy tech that actually works or pay professionals to do it for you. 

A few months ago late at night at Tesco only automated tills were open. I had a trolley full - tool almost half an hour to sort out. Constant "unexpected item in bagging area" needing staff intervention or items refusing to scan. Then there wasn't even enough room on the output area for all my bags so I was constantly trying to stop things falling off. Dumped the trolley in the furthest corner of the car park. Well if they are going to waste my time, I thought two can play at that.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
10 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

People used to switch live TV off and go for a tea break if they didn`t want the ads, there were OFF switches back in the day you know.

Exactly - just the 1980s version of "fast fowarding them as quickly as possible".  This halcyon time when advert breaks were so exciting you'd look forward to them just never existed.  People have always hated ad breaks, even if every decade there were 2 or 3 good ones.

On 11/04/2023 at 14:34, dances with sheeple said:

Love those old TV adverts, people used to look forward to certain ads back then, not like now when you just want to fast forward as quickly as possible.

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, winkie said:

Yes face into phone or tablet.....for five or seven minutes.;)

With Ad blocker.

You can pay for Youtube premium (I do) and never see an ad on it again.  Some other nice perks too such as their music streaming service thrown in.

The paid streaming services don't have ads either - though they do often promote new programming at the start of what you watch, which is skippable.

HOLA4423
58 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

You can pay for Youtube premium (I do) and never see an ad on it again.  Some other nice perks too such as their music streaming service thrown in.

The paid streaming services don't have ads either - though they do often promote new programming at the start of what you watch, which is skippable.

Why pay for that.....just ignore the lot.....good opportunity to make a cup of tea or go to the loo, check the dinner.....check out the likes.;)

HOLA4424
10 hours ago, FANG said:

It looks like Tesco shoppers are reining in their spending or now going elsewhere.

Profits dive by 50%

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2023/04/tesco-profits-inflation/

Which was the point of this thread… they’ve been ripping people off but their prices have become widely mocked on social media and it’s probably starting to hurt footfall. 

HOLA4425