House Price Crash Forum

Empty shelves. Who’d of thought, eh?

Pmax2020

HOLA441
2 hours ago, kzb said:

If no-one had said anything about it, I wouldn't have known there was any shortages whatsoever.   They set off panic-buying of salad intentionally, so they could make a thing out of it.

I read an article suggesting (I think sarcastically, but might have been genuine) that the whole shortage scare was deliberately engineered by the Department of Health to trick people with unhealthy diets into buying and eating more salad and vegetables 😁

• Replies 756
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
1 minute ago, Dyson Fury said:

I read an article suggesting (I think sarcastically, but might have been genuine) that the whole shortage scare was deliberately engineered by the Department of Health to trick people with unhealthy diets into buying and eating more salad and vegetables 😁

Has it worked or left to go mouldy in the fridge......many wouldn't know what to do with it, parents don't know to pass it on, and schools don't teach it.;)

Go out good people and continue to buy your ready meals and takeaways.

HOLA443
2 hours ago, Dyson Fury said:

Yes upthread we have Scots complaining about the salad shortage!  So it must've worked on them.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Most voters say Brexit to blame for food shortages

Most voters think Brexit is to blame for widespread shortage of fruit and vegetables on the supermarket shelves.

The majority of the public (57 per cent) said Britain’s exit from the EU was behind the lack of fresh produce. Only one in three (36 per cent) said Brexit was not blame. The poll also discovered 57 per cent had been affected by shortages while 40 per cent were unaffected.

School meal providers say items such as lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers are among the items off the menu due to “extreme shortages” and “unviable costs”, with ministers now working with schools to try to minimise the impact.

Independent

HOLA449
On 3/1/2023 at 10:45 AM, jonb2 said:

Yes, of course dear. Try to keep telling yourself the fairy stories as a warm blanket against the cold truth. But remember in these tales, the princess dies of syphilis every fecking time.

Farmers Against Brexit on Twitter: ""Patrick Minford [the Vote Leave economist] said in evidence to the committee that "just like coal and steel", manufacturing and farming would no longer make sense and would cease to operate." @LBC https://t.co/DNMxBe3SwB" / Twitter

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2023/03/03/uk-food-exports-reach-record-highs-in-2022#:~:text=UK food and drink exports reached record highs in 2022,22% to £13.7bn.

Any chance you could ask your buddy Minford for some kind of time scale for his desires to come through? Record food exports and currently the 9th largest manufacturing economy in the world. We voted to leave nearly 7 years ago, how much longer do we have to wait?

HOLA4410

The cost of living, housing and rent costs and food costs are higher in some countries of the EU than in many places in the UK.......huge global competition of energy, food, minerals, water, technology, space and quality of life......in a free trade agreement will trade freely amongst themselves, sharing.....why even Ukraine know what's good for them......all in the same club sharing  resources in demand.;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yes we are now far left of Europe, what we voted for......life was just ticking by, nobody much had a problem with our relationship with Europe.......since we have left the 'migrant problem ' has doubled.........good workers have left 'hostile environment '..........and our country has been divided.

Remainer fan.......brexit fanatic.;)

Speak to the Germans Hitler, the Italians Mussolini and Spanish Franco.........they understand division and fascism they lived through it in recent history......never want to go back there again. 

HOLA4413
8 hours ago, rollover said:

Most voters say Brexit to blame for food shortages

Most voters think Brexit is to blame for widespread shortage of fruit and vegetables on the supermarket shelves.

The majority of the public (57 per cent) said Britain’s exit from the EU was behind the lack of fresh produce. Only one in three (36 per cent) said Brexit was not blame. The poll also discovered 57 per cent had been affected by shortages while 40 per cent were unaffected.

School meal providers say items such as lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers are among the items off the menu due to “extreme shortages” and “unviable costs”, with ministers now working with schools to try to minimise the impact.

Independent

It shows the Rejoin establishment is being successful with their propaganda.

HOLA4414
8 hours ago, Cocha said:

https://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Article/2023/03/03/uk-food-exports-reach-record-highs-in-2022#:~:text=UK food and drink exports reached record highs in 2022,22% to £13.7bn.

Any chance you could ask your buddy Minford for some kind of time scale for his desires to come through? Record food exports and currently the 9th largest manufacturing economy in the world. We voted to leave nearly 7 years ago, how much longer do we have to wait?

An interesting possibility is whisky exports to India.  Apparently (and somewhat surprisingly to me) it is a massive market for whisky.  Currently they charge a very high import tariff on it, which could disappear with a free trade agreement.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 hours ago, kzb said:

It shows the Rejoin establishment is being successful with their propaganda.

I'm not sure about that.  I've a hypothesis that involves Brexit being intimately connected with the reasons for salad-gate, but where the absolute worst move imaginable would be to re-join.  If Britain can't rely upon importing basic tomatoes, we need to grow them locally - at scale... then never need to import them again.  It should help significantly with the balance of trade; with food-miles, freshness and quality.  Perhaps it is supermarkets and their EU suppliers that have been holding us back all along?

On Saturday, my Asda had plenty of nice quality, inexpensive, small tomatoes (from Morocco) but none of the standard big basic, tasteless, ones from Spain.  Curiously, lots of shelves seemed (almost) empty - and there was no sliced bread... which I didn't expect.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
10 hours ago, kzb said:

An interesting possibility is whisky exports to India.  Apparently (and somewhat surprisingly to me) it is a massive market for whisky.  Currently they charge a very high import tariff on it, which could disappear with a free trade agreement.

So Whisky prices in the UK will shoot up if the Indians get a taste for it. Brexit bonuses everywhere.

HOLA4420
35 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

So Whisky prices in the UK will shoot up if the Indians get a taste for it. Brexit bonuses everywhere.

Alternatively, the distilleries increase production to meet demand, they make lots more money and everyone is happy.

The free market in operation.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 hours ago, Brendan110_0 said:

See reply by Goat immediately after your post.

To add to that, you are certainly a glass half empty person are you not?  For heavens sake man the balance of payments is dire and anything that helps with that is definitely a step in the right direction.  Also it means proper jobs in the real economy.

If you take your reasoning to its limit it means we can't ever export anything in case it increases the domestic price !

HOLA4423
16 hours ago, A.steve said:

If Britain can't rely upon importing basic tomatoes, we need to grow them locally - at scale... then never need to import them again.  

Who is "we"? You stated "Countries don't have problems, only individuals have problems". If Britain has no problems why would "we" need to do anything? Also, why do you think "we" need to grow tomatoes when there's plenty of other vegetables?

Why is there no mention of how we're doing this given Britain is not in the EU anymore? Given the Country voted out of the EU 7 years ago surely you and other brexit visionaries thought tomatoes needed to be grown back then? Why aren't they being grown at scale now if that's what "we" needed to do?

Are you growing tomatoes locally? I'm guessing you are growing local tomatoes at scale given that you think it's a necessity, so let us know how your endeavour is going. Unless "we" excludes you, and is actually "they"?

Edited by sta100

HOLA4424
5 hours ago, kzb said:

For heavens sake man the balance of payments is dire and anything that helps with that is definitely a step in the right direction.  

Has the overall balance of payments improved or not due to brexit?

Edited by sta100

HOLA4425
36 minutes ago, sta100 said:

Has the overall balance of payments improved or not due to brexit?

I believe it has improved recently.  Whether that is due to Brexit I am not sure, because there are lots of other things going on at the same time.