House Price Crash Forum

Record numbers of over 50's quit the workforce and are happy

HOLA441
19 hours ago, Si1 said:

Retirement can be really bad for many people in exactly this respect. You really do lose it if you stop using it.

Or is it just an age thing? I know people working until 70's but they're the few fit people 3/100. So does the work keep you supple, or is people retire due to struggling body?

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
49 minutes ago, Insane said:

This is why a lot of older people will not sell their house and move into a retirement flat. If you surround yourself with older people only you will get older yourself faster. 

I really have an issue with a lot of older people who get set in their views and can't adapt or use any form of logical or critical thinking. These are the sorts who read, believe and spout Daily Mail propaganda, and vote for the likes of Liz Truss and Brexit.

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

This sounds exactly like my retired late 60something parents. They convinced themselves that walking for a couple of minutes from the car park to [destination] is the most they are physically capable of doing despite neither of them having any kind of serious diagnosed medical condition. It's sad that they've decided they are frail elderly people when they really are not, it's a cage they've built for themselves inside their heads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock

Sub four hour marathon aged 85.

Age is just a number, and all that. :)

Edit: And once you've done the sub four hours at age 85, you can then go on to really challenge yourself:

Challenger bank Aldermore says it will now let people carry on holding one of its mortgages until they are 99, and its maximum age for a new borrower applying for a home loan is an impressive 85.

Edited by Nomadd

HOLA444
1 minute ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I really have an issue with a lot of older people who get set in their views and can't adapt or use any form of logical or critical thinking. These are the sorts who read, believe and spout Daily Mail propaganda, and vote for the likes of Liz Truss and Brexit.

Well maybe keep an open mind as we are all getting older and to a degree we will all get set in our ways. Some get more set than others. 

I can have an issue with a lot of younger people who have had their minds brainwashed with quite leftie ideas like cancel culture believing one kind of propaganda but decry others with a different opinion describing them as Daily Mail readers. 

That is why free speech is so important but with younger people it only seems to be free if you have the same mentality and opinion as they do. 

How many people have you met who voted for Liz Truss ? 

HOLA445
27 minutes ago, Brendan110_0 said:

Or is it just an age thing? I know people working until 70's but they're the few fit people 3/100. So does the work keep you supple, or is people retire due to struggling body?

Good question. Correlation or causation. 

HOLA446
9 minutes ago, Insane said:

Well maybe keep an open mind as we are all getting older and to a degree we will all get set in our ways. Some get more set than others. 

I can have an issue with a lot of younger people who have had their minds brainwashed with quite leftie ideas like cancel culture believing one kind of propaganda but decry others with a different opinion describing them as Daily Mail readers. 

That is why free speech is so important but with younger people it only seems to be free if you have the same mentality and opinion as they do. 

Does being set in your ways mean voting for something completely different like Brexit........you want change you got what you voted for.......get used to it.;)

HOLA447
1 minute ago, winkie said:

Does being set in your ways mean voting for something completely different like Brexit........you want change you got what you voted for.......get used to it

Well of course it doesn't plenty of younger people also voted for Brexit then many more young people who wanted to remain could not be bothered to walk a few hundred yards to a polling station and put one cross next to a box. 

If anyone needs to shut up and get used to it it is the younger people who have screamed we want another vote but never voted in the first place. They got what they were too lazy to vote against .......... so need to get used to it. Would you not agree ? 

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, Insane said:

Well of course it doesn't plenty of younger people also voted for Brexit then many more young people who wanted to remain could not be bothered to walk a few hundred yards to a polling station and put one cross next to a box. 

If anyone needs to shut up and get used to it it is the younger people who have screamed we want another vote but never voted in the first place. They got what they were too lazy to vote against .......... so need to get used to it. Would you not agree ? 

Not really........opt in or opt out, there is a difference.;)

HOLA449
21 minutes ago, Insane said:

Tbf mate the right cancels far more in this country than the left. Always has done. I think you're a bit younger than I am but you'll remember Mary Whitehouse well I'm sure.

I think "cancel culture" and "woke" are really just red meat being thrown by sharks to distract if I'm honest.

Christ. Henry the VIII cancelled Christianity as everyone knew it... ;)

Edited by byron78

HOLA4410
4 minutes ago, winkie said:

Not really........opt in or opt out, there is a difference

But you asked me if voting for Brexit was people being set in their ways. We all know it was in or out but many people were too lazy to vote. Quite simple. 

HOLA4411
1 minute ago, Insane said:

But you asked me if voting for Brexit was people being set in their ways. We all know it was in or out but many people were too lazy to vote. Quite simple. 

Many younger people were not living in the place they were registered to vote, Students? Glastonbury was on that day, not interested in news or read newspapers or watch television......there are many reasons why those with a vote do not vote.....if ID is required fewer of a type will vote.....;)

HOLA4412
5 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Tbf mate the right cancels far more in this country than the left. Always has done. I think you're a bit younger than I am but you'll remember Mary Whitehouse well I'm sure.

Proof ?

Mary Whitehouse was what could be described as a prood by todays standards nothing to do with left or right.

Do you think J.K. Rowling deserves the abuse she gets as she won't agree that a person born a man who has or has not had his C--k removed should be able to put on a dress and compete in Woman's sport or Use a Woman's toilet ? That is the kind of cancel culture the left are very involved in. 

9 minutes ago, byron78 said:

I think "cancel culture" and "woke" are really just red meat being thrown by sharks to distract if I'm honest.

I don't , what research into it have you done ?

I hear many University's are having to cancel speakers due to the left not liking views that don't fit their narrative. Very worrying trend as I am sure you know how important free speech is. Your throw away remark does not fit the importance of the subject. 

12 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Christ. Henry the VIII cancelled Christianity as everyone knew it...

Yes and look at how many people were slaughtered ! I think what you have said there confirms how important free speech is . Henry the VIII cancelling Christianity with the ongoing results is why it should be looked on as so important that we have to be very careful about cancel culture and not say Ay well cancel anything Henry the VIII cancel Christianity so it is no problem. 

HOLA4413
7 minutes ago, winkie said:

Many younger people were not living in the place they were registered to vote, Students? Glastonbury was on that day, not interested in news or read newspapers or watch television......there are many reasons why those with a vote do not vote.....if ID is required fewer of a type will vote..

Don't make excuses for the Lazy (non vote) moaning Remainers. 

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Insane said:

This is why a lot of older people will not sell their house and move into a retirement flat. If you surround yourself with older people only you will get older yourself faster. 

No no no.  We're not in a retirement complex as such, but there are maybe 50% over 55 in our estate.  Their old before their age lethargy and tubbiness (a few are seriously obese) throws my GFA fitness into sharp relief when I run and cycle past them giving a cheery wave.  It spurs me on!

I never claimed to be a nice person🤣

Related: I am so tempted to remark very loudly when passing a typical Range Rover Sport / X7 / Q7 / Land cruiser driver as they emerge that people "look just as fat" driving a Chelsea Tractor as a mini, but I haven't had the guts yet and my wife would have a fit if she was with me if I did.

HOLA4416

This is depressing. What the hell is wrong with this country?

Help people. Don't punish them when they end up on the lowest rungs of society! (Can't believe that even needs writing tbh).

Will put it here as I'd imagine a lot of these poor sanctioned unemployed people are simply over 50s struggling to find suitable full-time work?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/20/boris-johnson-way-to-work-jobs-scheme-failure

Edited by byron78

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

Don’t get old, don’t get sick. 

So far so good for you? Review your post in 15 years. 

My lad was talking earlier about Ringo Starr wanting euthanasia for anyone over 60. Til he was 58!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Insane said:

Don't make excuses for the Lazy (non vote) moaning Remainers. 

I doubt those more interested in Glastonbury are the moaning remainers anyway.

I did ask some younger folk why they didn't vote on the issue (that's makes me feel old now lol) and many simply didn't either understand the issues or it simply meant nothing to them - they didn't correlate many parts of their life with being in or out.

A lot of older people in the workforce retiring early though may we'll be to their advantage careerwise.

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, Insane said:

After they retired my parents sold the house where they raised their kids on an identikit 1970s suburban estate and moved to a much nicer house on a fairly bespoke small development surrounded by a river, trees etc. It's a beautiful location but they are surrounded by people in their late 70s and 80s, not a worker in sight as far as I can tell. Their elderly neighbours are popping their clogs one by one and I think it's doing something weird to my parents' brains.

It also doesn't help that my grandparents barely made it to age 70 in most cases, they were typical working class people from their generation who smoked and drank heavily their whole lives and paid the price in terms of life expectancy.

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, Insane said:

Rather a lot!

HOLA4423