House Price Crash Forum

Covid - is there trouble ahead? New mutation and travel bans.

HOLA441
  • Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
21 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

If completing an Australian immigration form No to England/Wales, Yes to  Monaco/ Spain.  If the question was unclear I would ask.   

It's impossible to travel from the UK to Monaco or Spain without going overseas (ignoring Gibraltar).

Of course it's also impossible to end up in Australia from another country without going overseas - I wonder if using "overseas" as a synonym for "another country" is potentially misleading to non-island nations. If indeed that word was used.

HOLA444
HOLA445
35 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Monaco and Spain are UN listed countries. Wales falls under UK. That is the sole delimiter immigration cares about. That is what anyone generally would think IMHO.

I genuinely would not think of a drive from Monaco to Spain, which in normal times is a regular journey, as an overseas trip. 

There have been times when going from Wales to UK has not been allowed.

HOLA446
45 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

I hope not as he's a Serbian nationalist who took time out to meet and sing patriotic songs with one of the units that conducted war crimes during the Balkans conflicts ( including Jolovic the commander of assault on Srbrenica - look up Drina Wolves) and believes positive thought can purify water.

He's an alt-history fruit loop.

I know nothing about him other than he has recently squared up to the Oz government and I admire him for that, as it is something that I would do. I would not however associate with war criminals.

HOLA447
1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

I know nothing about him other than he has recently squared up to the Oz government and I admire him for that, as it is something that I would do. I would not however associate with war criminals.

I genuinely think he thought if he pushed he'd get his own way that's it. Believed he could do what he wanted and he got pushed back. Nothing special guy up his own backside.

That was not a dig at you it was just saying be wary of those who appear to be someone you might like

HOLA448
7 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Odd.

Not if you think, what was the reason for asking the question.

Clearly it is to determine if you have recently been to other, what may be considered higher risk countries, rather than an interest in whether you have travelled on/over water.   

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

Did you also admire him for continuing with public engagement after he claims to have tested positive.

To most people, including my Australian colleague, he seems to have come across as an entitled jerk. 

HOLA449
1 minute ago, Staffsknot said:

I genuinely think he thought if he pushed he'd get his own way that's it. Believed he could do what he wanted and he got pushed back. Nothing special guy up his own backside.

That was not a dig at you it was just saying be wary of those who appear to be someone you might like

As I said I'm not so much pro Djokovic as anti OZ government.

HOLA4410
9 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I genuinely would not think of a drive from Monaco to Spain, which in normal times is a regular journey, as an overseas trip. 

There have been times when going from Wales to UK has not been allowed.

Monaco to Spain would take you via France though so that's several countries. To me that is fairly straight forward. Nearest airport is France, but he went on to Spain instead.

HOLA4411
2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Not if you think, what was the reason for asking the question.

Clearly it is to determine if you have recently been to other, what may be considered higher risk countries, rather than an interest in whether you have travelled on/over water.   

Did you also admire him for continuing with public engagement after he claims to have tested positive.

To most people, including my Australian colleague, he seems to have come across as an entitled jerk. 

But the EU, including Monaco, has open land borders so they pose a similar risk.

Anyway enough of this circular argument. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Arrrrghhhhh.... See my reply to the other argumentative sod.

I'm not trying to be I know we used to be able to drive across Europe all fine and good. But if someone asked me in France had I come from overseas I would have just replied the country I crossed from.

I wouldn't say no as that would imply I'm living in France.

If someone asked me in Glasgow airport if flew up from London did I come from overseas I'd say no as its all part of the UK. 

Djokovic has been to Oz many times he knows full well what the forms mean and he played fast and loose.

I fear you give him too much credit as you agree with his vaccine choice. It may be blinding you to the fact he's a bit of a shit

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 minute ago, Staffsknot said:

I'm not trying to be I know we used to be able to drive across Europe all fine and good. But if someone asked me in France had I come from overseas I would have just replied the country I crossed from.

If someone asked me in Glasgow airport if flew up from London did I come from overseas I'd say no as its all part of the UK. 

Djokovic has been to Oz many times he knows full well what the forms mean and he played fast and loose.

I fear you give him too much credit as you agree with his vaccine choice. It may be blinding you to the fact he's a bit of a shit

I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about Djokovic, I don't even watch tennis, but I do dislike authoritarian governments and Oz has the daddy of those.

Djokovic's visa was restored by the court, so they agreed that he hadn't done anything too dastardly, but that was overridden by government bloody mindedness.

HOLA4417

Good job Novak doesn't live in the US - as all those supposedly 'liberal' Democrats would want to put a tracking device on him and take his son and daughter into care. But at least we would have known his precise whereabouts in the last month!

Those 'liberals' are probably more dangerous than Omicron!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Point taken, they were all just doing what they do.

Djokovic, a man after my own heart, doesn't like being told what to do.

Authoritarian Australian government, likes to tell people what to do.

There had to be conflict.

:)

Lol 

HOLA4420
59 minutes ago, Staffsknot said:

Would it imply that you're living in France? To British people, brought up with the idea that "overseas" == "abroad", then yes, but is that just because we live on an island (and probably to the annoyance of the Northern Irish and Gibraltarians, where it's not an automatic truth)? Is there any good reason to think someone living on the continent, in a country with lots of land borders connected to lots of other countries with land borders, that "overseas" might only get interpreted in a more literal sense, i.e. where a sea crossing is necessary? And the same could very well be applied to Australia, where it's impossible to travel to it from another country without crossing the sea, so they may well make the same assumption that we do and mistakenly assume everyone else does, failing to recognise the ambiguity.

Of course it all hinges on "overseas" being the relevant word, which a post upthread suggested isn't actually the case.

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

I honestly couldn't give a rat's ass about Djokovic, I don't even watch tennis, but I do dislike authoritarian governments and Oz has the daddy of those.

Djokovic's visa was restored by the court, so they agreed that he hadn't done anything too dastardly, but that was overridden by government bloody mindedness.

Right not trying to continue this if you want to kill it off - but the visa was restored as the Oz ABF procedure failed a technicality. He was promised a decision at 8.30am so he could rest, they made it at 7.52am so it gave him insufficient time vs what was promised.

That was it 

HOLA4422
57 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Would it imply that you're living in France? To British people, brought up with the idea that "overseas" == "abroad", then yes, but is that just because we live on an island (and probably to the annoyance of the Northern Irish and Gibraltarians, where it's not an automatic truth)? Is there any good reason to think someone living on the continent, in a country with lots of land borders connected to lots of other countries with land borders, that "overseas" might only get interpreted in a more literal sense, i.e. where a sea crossing is necessary? And the same could very well be applied to Australia, where it's impossible to travel to it from another country without crossing the sea, so they may well make the same assumption that we do and mistakenly assume everyone else does, failing to recognise the ambiguity.

Of course it all hinges on "overseas" being the relevant word, which a post upthread suggested isn't actually the case.

Well a German colleague described living in Italy as having lived overseas when speaking in English. So it can't just be us taking liberties with what overseas means.

Although we are getting into the Benny Hill immigration sketch

"Isle of Wight isn't overseas"

"You try walking there!"

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Staffsknot said:

This is all pedantics. Is it so important the terminology is absolutely correct?

OK

I can say I travelled from England to France but did not go overseas that would be technically correct. 

I could not say I travelled from England to the USA but did not go overseas obviously.

BUT these are only technicalities.

HOLA4424

I get the feeling from reading a few other left forums there's anger that Omicron is mild and could stop the fear and control culture that has built up. Obviously the ghastly BBC and MSM generally are of that view.

Edited by vadst43

HOLA4425
5 minutes ago, Flat Bear said:

This is all pedantics. Is it so important the terminology is absolutely correct?

OK

I can say I travelled from England to France but did not go overseas that would be technically correct. 

I could not say I travelled from England to the USA but did not go overseas obviously.

BUT these are only technicalities.

Yup and saying I did not understand the question is not grounds for Visa not to be cancelled. If its wrong its wrong - there are notes for any visa explaining each section should you need it.

If you get it wrong for any reason its wrong. People have been chucked out for similar before. ABF have no tolerance for anything. Irish guy was turned back at Perth as he hadn't updated his address on visa after moving.