House Price Crash Forum

Savings rates nudging up

HOLA441
21 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

"Here's your Customer Number" email finally arrived from Gnatwest at 09:02 today. Activation code email awaited🙄

Seems that in addition to sluggish processing, I'm going to have to become a current account holder to finally get the ISA funded.

So an unnecessary cyber risk introduced, presumably in the vain hope I'll switch my everyday banking to them from FD.

Fat chance.

Activation code arrived in a text this morning.

Was a bit of a fiddle setting up the online account, but to be fair, it is only an ISA account, no current account as well as feared, and it funded easily and immediately from FD.  NB the account is in your name, not NatWest.  Its just like moving money to a personal bank account.

You also have to order a card reader.  Just go to the card reader part of online banking.  Takes up to 10 working days but is only needed to get the money out again so no rush.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
On 20/07/2023 at 08:48, wighty said:

Don't see app security any better or worse than other operating systems.

You are locking yourself out of a lot of facilities.

Whatever makes you feel safe

I don't allow suppliers to foist application software onto me when I visit their website using a web browser on a conventional platform.  Apps are just software - so have similar risks as any other software.  I don't download browser-toolbars or applications for desktop computers... I don't want to do it on mobile devices either.

I'm prepared to trust far more companies to provide services through a website and a browser than I am prepared to trust to provide software to run on my native platform.  I've hope that Webassembly (and its derivate technologies) may, in future, allow publishers, who feel the need to publish applications for general purpose platforms today, to provide rich computational features without requiring any trust from the recipient of the features. 

I'm well aware that one needs to pick a level of risk that one is prepared to accept - then get on.  I can accept that some people think that installing any app from any app store is an acceptable risk.  In some contexts, perhaps it is.  For me, I see credible risks relating to identity theft... Perhaps they're not high probability - but they are potentially high impact.  I find it exceptionally difficult to justify taking that risk for the features offered by an 'app'.

The start of these comments was that I expressed that I didn't like apps as a prerequisite for banking services.  I'd feel just as negatively about banking services that required that I run proprietary Windows or MacOS software.  If I'm interested in banking services, I don't want the same company to supply me application software.  If I'm trying to buy a burger, I don't want that company to supply me with application software as a prerequisite to buying a burger.   If a company can't adequately expose the service over the web - then I don't want to even consider using that company's services.  I don't consent to any company (with whom I'm engaging about anything other than acquiring satisfactory systems software) choosing to influence what software I run.  I like it when companies provide services with standardised interfaces that integrate easily into the software I choose.  I am inclined against companies who assume I'm prepared to run their software just because they ask me to.  Can you imagine the reaction if, as a customer, I said to a company:  Oh, go on... just run the executable file I've emailed to you - it'll be fine?   If it's not good for the goose, it's not good for the gander.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Interest rate rises: FCA orders lenders to improve savings rates

The City regulator has ordered the country’s biggest banks and building societies to improve the interest they pay to savers after a review of the £1.5 trillion market found that they were too slow to pass on rate rises.

Analysis by the Financial Conduct Authority has found that on average the nine biggest savings providers had passed on only 28 per cent of the Bank of England’s base rate increases to their easy access deposits. It said that “much more [progress] is required to ensure savers consistently get a better deal” and it has given banks that are offering the worst rates a month to justify their treatment of customers. Five big retail banks had about £260 billion of deposits earning 1 per cent or less, according to the regulator.

The watchdog released its review of the savings market on the same day that new rules came into force designed to force financial services firms to put their customers’ interests first. The imposition of the FCA’s consumer duty represents a significant overhaul of the way the industry is regulated. Sheldon Mills, the regulator’s executive director of consumer and competition, said that ensuring savings rates were passed on promptly would be a target of the new duty.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fca-banks-action-interest-rate-rises-hr8k28735

HOLA448
4 hours ago, Up the spout said:

The City regulator has ordered the country’s biggest banks and building societies to improve the interest they pay to savers after a review of the £1.5 trillion market found that they were too slow to pass on rate rises.

Analysis by the Financial Conduct Authority has found that on average the nine biggest savings providers had passed on only 28 per cent of the Bank of England’s base rate increases to their easy access deposits. It said that “much more [progress] is required to ensure savers consistently get a better deal” and it has given banks that are offering the worst rates a month to justify their treatment of customers. Five big retail banks had about £260 billion of deposits earning 1 per cent or less, according to the regulator.

The watchdog released its review of the savings market on the same day that new rules came into force designed to force financial services firms to put their customers’ interests first. The imposition of the FCA’s consumer duty represents a significant overhaul of the way the industry is regulated. Sheldon Mills, the regulator’s executive director of consumer and competition, said that ensuring savings rates were passed on promptly would be a target of the new duty.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/fca-banks-action-interest-rate-rises-hr8k28735

They should start with NS&I.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I was just checking NS&I's rates.

How come Direct Saver is 3.4% yet Direct ISA is only 2.4% ?
It is almost as if they are charging you 41% tax for putting your money in an ISA.  

I have said many times and proven that in the past ISAs actually offered better rates because they knew you were less likely to withdraw your money.

Edited by TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack
clarification

HOLA4411
56 minutes ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

I was just checking NS&I's rates.

How come Direct Saver is 3.4% yet Direct ISA is only 2.4% ?
It is almost as if they are charging you 41% tax for putting your money in an ISA.  

I have said many times and proven that in the past ISAs actually offered better rates because they knew you were less likely to withdraw your money.

And it's limited to £20k, you can't transfer in existing ISAs.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
5 minutes ago, cdd said:

Opened the NatWest 5.9% 2 year fix isa about 10 days ago. Been waiting to see what happens with rates before I transfer in. Looks like this might be the best it's going to get, at least for now.

I nearly did today but backed out when I realised that I wouldn't gain much by taking the 180 day hit and transferring a 3 year 4.4% Isa (with 2 years and 5 months to run) into it, and certainly not a 5 year one if rates really are on the way down.

HOLA4414
19 hours ago, Up the spout said:

So, does this mean rates on ALL accounts will go up?

Mike

HOLA4415
9 minutes ago, Maghull Mike said:

So, does this mean rates on ALL accounts will go up?

Mike

How I read it is a lot of old savings account have negligible rates, and those unable or unmotivated enough to open newer, better ones are being unfairly treated. 

Its plan requires banks “offering the lowest rates to provide their fair value assessments under the consumer duty by August 31”. The regulator warned that it would “take robust action by the end of 2023 against those who cannot demonstrate fair value”.

Starting later this year, it will also publish every six months an analysis of rates on easy access accounts and will rank them from best to worst.

That's still a bit vague but hopefully will give savers better returns.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Not bad, the fixed rates at Natwest are tempting too:

• 1 year terms - earn 5.55% / 5.41% AER/Gross on balances between £1 - £99,999 or 5.80% / 5.65% AER/Gross on balances between £100,000 - £5,000,000
  • 2 year terms - earn 5.65% / 5.51% AER/Gross on balances between £1 - £99,999 or 5.90% / 5.75% AER/Gross on balances between £100,000 - £5,000,000

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 03/08/2023 at 13:31, gerkin said:

I stuck my 150k deposit in 6.05% savings account. Good to get some returns while in wait for the crash.

How long for 1 year ? Are you worried you may miss bottom of price drop ?

Edited by petetong

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, fellow said:

Premium Bonds increased from 4% to 4.65%!!!!!!

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/saving/article-12384247/NS-announces-MASSIVE-rate-hike-Premium-Bonds-prize-fund.html

Odds of winning increased to 21,000 to 1.

If they want to sell more bonds they should increase the £50000 limit. It has been stuck there for the last eight years.

https://nsandi-corporate.com/news-research/news/great-news-ernie-premium-bonds-maximum-investment-increased-ps50000#

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
2 hours ago, TenYearToGetMyMoneyBack said:

If they want to sell more bonds they should increase the £50000 limit. It has been stuck there for the last eight years.

https://nsandi-corporate.com/news-research/news/great-news-ernie-premium-bonds-maximum-investment-increased-ps50000#

They have acted really quickly at NS&I to be fair. They seem to be aware of the competition.

After my nil return last month I was beginning to wobble. But an increase from 4% to 4.65% from September, and the odds increase, is enough to keep me invested for now.

HOLA4425