• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
16 minutes ago, gerkin said:

This government has no idea what kind of monster they have created with this furlough nonsense. The shock will be felt towards the end of this year.

I'm half joking about not working, but I know from experience around 20% of the staff in a company does 80% of the work.

There's a lot of scope to swing the lead ( as I am currently proving ).  Productivity, I think, will fall as the 80% dont do the 20% they managed before because they are at home.

The one to watch for me now are the people rushing to live in the shires, only to find out that they have to go back into the offices and now have to pay £6000 for a train ticket on to of their 30x local wage house price.

There is so much wrong in the UK now and it's all related to house prices and bankers.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA444
HOLA445
22 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

We are not all net tax payers though are we.

No there will be some that might take out more than they pay in......take for example a person that works full time for 35 years paying IT, CT and VAT, maybe SD or even CGT.......then retire and draw a pension for another 35 years, a pension paid by the state plus a regular state pension.

Don't want to pay so much tax best not earn or spend so much.;)

HOLA446
HOLA447
9 minutes ago, winkie said:

No there will be some that might take out more than they pay in......take for example a person that works full time for 35 years paying IT, CT and VAT, maybe SD or even CGT.......then retire and draw a pension for another 35 years, a pension paid by the state plus a regular state pension.

Don't want to pay so much tax best not earn or spend so much.;)

If we all did that, what services would you cut?

Better rather than penalizing people who work, be less generous to those who don't!

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA448

I got taken into the office by the CEO and told I can now work 5 days a week, I said no thanks.

I am exhausted, I have long Covid 

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Just now, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

Hope you feel better soon. 

Thanks.

I think it is also probably age related, I do not have respiratory problems, I am always exhausted and do. It feel like doing anything 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Just now, shlomo said:

Thanks.

I think it is also probably age related, I do not have respiratory problems, I am always exhausted and do. It feel like doing anything 

Assuming you're serious, and it wasn't just a joke going back to work that went over my head, it could be depression.

I've suffered from that for many years on and off, and it makes me completely lethargic sometimes...

Good news it at at least for me the "NHS Talking therapies" helped a lot (CBT). There's also a self assessment you can take to score your depression/anxiety. Done over several weeks, it can show trends up/down and if you keep a log it will maybe show you if you score higher on the days you feel worse etc

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, definitelynotanagent said:

Assuming you're serious, and it wasn't just a joke going back to work that went over my head, it could be depression.

I've suffered from that for many years on and off, and it makes me completely lethargic sometimes...

Good news it at at least for me the "NHS Talking therapies" helped a lot (CBT). There's also a self assessment you can take to score your depression/anxiety. Done over several weeks, it can show trends up/down and if you keep a log it will maybe show you if you score higher on the days you feel worse etc

The book "Depressive illness, curse of the strong" is a fabulous book on depression, probably the best. Completely dispenses with nonsense, strict medical terms, well written and practical. I suffer from it to.

HOLA4416
10 minutes ago, definitelynotanagent said:

I think it is lockdown blues, just hoping for lockdown to end to see if I feel differently, a part of me wants to retire if I could 

HOLA4417
4 hours ago, jimmy2x3 said:

after a year experincing life without work, the thought that going back to the daily grind is filling me with dred and depression. Life without working with a wage being still paid is pretty good albiet restrictions on travel and general intrests but still its been an insight into how life is for those that dont need to pay the bills and drag themselves out the door to do stuff they rather not do. 

I think there is going to be a massive amount of reluctance to go back to life before covid, many just accepting early retirement or that a change in lifestyle is the way forward. covid has allowed many to jump off the hamster wheel and they are very reluctant to get back on it again. 

we got problems ahead 

Depends on how you felt about your job and stuff like commute, which can make a big difference when you don't have to do it every day - but which people had taken for granted.

I don't mind going back to the office - commute is usually reasonably short and I like the current job.  My previous job though had a commute around 2.5x the duration and I pretty much loathed it, so I would have seen the last year as a godsend in that case and would probably be looking to move to a different job ASAP rather than go back to it.

We were already able to WfH one day a week before the lockdowns so I would imagine that the company will expand the amount of WfH time, so will be nice to have the choice of coming into a nice office (or not) rather than have to sit in front of my own PC every day, which was getting pretty miserable in the Winter.

Of course, if the economy collapses in a heap (after the initial 'return to normal' boom) then people are not going to have the luxury of deciding to get off the Hamster Wheel......   Especially in the unlikely event of Interest Rates shooting up and having to service mortgages and other debt.  I say unlikely because I think TPTB will let inflation rip.

HOLA4418

I feel a little bitter about the last year as people being furloughed around me has meant I’ve had one of the hardest years of my life.

I’ve probably averaged a 55-60 hour weeks and worked most weekends too. What do I have to show for it?! A wedge of cash that will be swallowed up when we move into a bigger house that is inexplicably dearer today than last year. 

The last year has been relatively rubbish but I take a lot of satisfaction in how hard I’ve worked whilst also being a good parent. We’ve spoilt our kids, been fun & resourceful, had great days out, and have fond memories from what could’ve otherwise been a totally crap chapter in our lives.

Now all I want is a bloody trip to the Gran Canaria so I can watch the kids run about a pool for a week in some winter sun. 

HOLA4419
Just now, Pmax2020 said:

I feel a little bitter about the last year as people being furloughed around me has meant I’ve had one of the hardest years of my life.

I’ve probably averaged a 55-60 hour weeks and worked most weekends too. What do I have to show for it?! A wedge of cash that will be swallowed up when we move into a bigger house that is inexplicably dearer today than last year. 

The last year has been relatively rubbish but I take a lot of satisfaction in how hard I’ve worked whilst also being a good parent. We’ve spoilt our kids, been fun & resourceful, had great days out, and have fond memories from what could’ve otherwise been a totally crap chapter in our lives.

Now all I want is a bloody trip to the Gran Canaria so I can watch the kids run about a pool for a week in some winter sun. 

I've got a feeling that the people who got furloughed (whilst others in the org were forced to work) may well up 'the first up against the wall' if and when the economy turns.

At least you have had more time at home with your kids, even if you have been working more hours.

HOLA4420
2 minutes ago, Sour Mash said:

I've got a feeling that the people who got furloughed (whilst others in the org were forced to work) may well up 'the first up against the wall' if and when the economy turns.

At least you have had more time at home with your kids, even if you have been working more hours.

I was relieved when my boss said he wouldn't furlough myself and a couple of other ‘senior’ members of staff as I would of been very anxious about not working. 80% of our team was placed on a furlough rota and even then some latterly isolated for a few weeks.

It was a very cynical move by our company because the nature of our work was such that covid arguably had a positive impact on the business.

It is what it is. The common jibes about how efficiently people WFH do irritate me a little though. I work slightly longer hours at home and tend to end up working the odd evening too. I get the benefit of having no travel time/cost but I’ll be keen to go back to working at least 60% in the office to get a decent work/home balance again. 

HOLA4421
51 minutes ago, iamnumerate said:

If we all did that, what services would you cut?

Better rather than penalizing people who work, be less generous to those who don't!

We will not all do that......we will have debt to pay, we may not live long enough, as already mentioned not everyone that works is working productivity......another meeting anyone.;)

HOLA4422

I am a strong advocate of a hybrid model. Even before the pandemic my wife had hot desking and she WFH 2 days a week. I am now hearing that her company will now occupy only 2 floors of office in Central London as opposed to 3. She is expected to start working 3 days now from home. 

5 Days WFH kills me of boredom. 2-3 days in the office are nice. 

HOLA4423
30 minutes ago, Pmax2020 said:

While you've been working hard, I've been dossing. You should feel bitter because work is a waste of time spent, except for earning money, it doesn't do you any good.

HOLA4424
43 minutes ago, Si1 said:

The book "Depressive illness, curse of the strong" is a fabulous book on depression, probably the best. Completely dispenses with nonsense, strict medical terms, well written and practical. I suffer from it to.

Depression/anxiety is rife and increasing, could it be the pressure of living, life's expectations.......thank goodness it is not such a stigma as it was once, to be hidden and depressed.......often those prone are very creative and caring people.....talking is great therapy.....if asked how you are, say feel like shit, open and honest about it, nothing to be ashamed of.....exercise, quality sleep, nature and fresh air, helping others, healthy food, avoid addictive substances......being proud of who you are.;)

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, winkie said:

Depression/anxiety is rife and increasing, could it be the pressure of living, life's expectations.......thank goodness it is not such a stigma as it was once, to be hidden and depressed.......often those prone are very creative and caring people.....talking is great therapy.....if asked how you are, say feel like shit, open and honest about it, nothing to be ashamed of.....exercise, quality sleep, nature and fresh air, helping others, healthy food, avoid addictive substances......being proud of who you are.;)

Actually dude, if someone is in moderate or worse depression, then one the the therapies is just REST. Don't let someone kick you out of the house for 'exercise' or 'fresh air' or 'seeing people'. The clinically depressed brain needs rest and limits on stimulation and effort. This is a misconception with depression that thinking and acting positive is the solution.  Forcing someone into this action and not permitting them rest has literally killed large numbers of people. That's why I recommended that book. Itb says the opposite and had literally saved countless lives.