House Price Crash Forum

The "My mate's lost his job" thread

HOLA441

I was supposed to be back in work today, but another 2 weeks of furlough. Aerospace manufacturing is really struggling. My firm is apparently not taking up the new job support scheme either, a decision that seems to be based on a bit of a sulk that it is far less generous than furlough, and that they spent weeks negotiating a change 7 day shifts to 4 day week with the unions before it was announced. I’m sure there will be workers with little to do even a short week, and if they don’t use the scheme to save on wage costs there will be more redundancies.

I am sorry to hear that.  

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I was supposed to be back in work today, but another 2 weeks of furlough. Aerospace manufacturing is really struggling. My firm is apparently not taking up the new job support scheme either, a decision that seems to be based on a bit of a sulk that it is far less generous than furlough, and that they spent weeks negotiating a change 7 day shifts to 4 day week with the unions before it was announced. I’m sure there will be workers with little to do even a short week, and if they don’t use the scheme to save on wage costs there will be more redundancies.

How much is/was your salary?

HOLA443

Miaow - some of us have done a bit its all about a positive outlook - did I mention I have been a film extra as well ? Nice getting paid to be on a zoom call whilst laughing at your vitriol 

Funny little bitter fruit aren't you ?

Was it in Only Fools and Horses - The Movie? ;)

HOLA444

Have a few friends in the aerospace sector. It's not looking good. Massive expansion up to January. Order books full and long term agreements signed. What struck me was how thin the margins were. A financial controller friend tells me they don't expect to make cash until year 8 or 9 of a 20 year commitment and the long term agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. Materials used to be free issue now they expect their company to take over the supply chain from raw materials to finished product. It's not looking good at all. 

So similar here. Long term agreement s good only until Monday morning order schedule update shows a massive hole... then no explanation or forward guidance. Unfortunately just little fish in a global supply chain. Same here materials no longer free issue, we have to buy/manage the material but from a specified group of US based suppliers that has been shrunk so much that lead times are insane, when the value of gbp nosedived a few years ago it really hammered our already thin margins. 

HOLA445
HOLA446
18 hours ago, captainb said:

+1 Good if somewhat depressing book.

PPI on the London Underground - Metronet???

Don't get me started on that gravy-fuk up

Railtrack, Network Rail, Franchising - And yes the EU dived in with legislation too to "open" markets

HOLA447

A bloke I know used to work as a camera person on films / TV.

We tossed him some cash to fix our patio when life got hard for him.

Apparently he is back on the camera now (but he's too busy to talk).

Edited by Timm
speeeeeelling

HOLA448

So similar here. Long term agreement s good only until Monday morning order schedule update shows a massive hole... then no explanation or forward guidance. Unfortunately just little fish in a global supply chain. Same here materials no longer free issue, we have to buy/manage the material but from a specified group of US based suppliers that has been shrunk so much that lead times are insane, when the value of gbp nosedived a few years ago it really hammered our already thin margins. 

I hope it gets better soon. I take it you're a employee? Contractors will take the brunt of the early headcount cuts i think. Plenty jumped ship for the impressive day rates in my friend circle. Unfortunately they're finding out they're first to go when things get tough. 

I know one company here where the new component they make, previously made in-house by the prime, has turned into a money pit. The prime gets away making it in a shed and the local company has to drop millions on capex. They hope to get profitable work on the back of it...eventually. Many a company has failed trying the same. 

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Was it in Only Fools and Horses - The Movie? ;)

Lol - close - main claim to fame was marrying Gary Webster's sister as he took over the Dennis Waterman role in Minder. Special action couple of lines as I remember. But did loads all day or two here and there  Octopussy, Gieves and Wooster, Prince of thieves and so on - a lot around in the late eighties early nineties no cgi.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

A bloke I know used to work as a camera person on films / TV.

We tossed him some cash to fix our patio when life got hard for him.

Apparently he is back on the camera now (but he's too busy to talk).

I can believe the last line though with a mate last night said his friend a stunt coordinator is as busy as ever

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The new Jurassic park - same thing perhaps 😉

Corporate film and comms pretty busy in my world as well

I went to the Vue Cinema in wood green a few weeks ago, no one was watching "Tenet" the film maybe a total of 4 or 5 people.

HOLA4418

I went to the Vue Cinema in wood green a few weeks ago, no one was watching "Tenet" the film maybe a total of 4 or 5 people.

I hadn't thought of it before, but I wonder if cinema is going to be an industry just killed by COVID?

Given Netflix and Large Screen HD TVs so many people will now have a cinematic experience showing whatever films they want in their own homes that I wonder whether it's a dead duck industry now?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I hadn't thought of it before, but I wonder if cinema is going to be an industry just killed by COVID?

Given Netflix and Large Screen HD TVs so many people will now have a cinematic experience showing whatever films they want in their own homes that I wonder whether it's a dead duck industry now?

The concept of big box office movies paying A-listers multi millions will also be casualty, when choosing from Netflix you only have a small box and then you have to click on film to see the info.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Cinemas need 28% utilisation to break even usually thats at the weekend normally just got to encourage people in the week.  But I think the Vue's, cineworld's etc will find it tough the Spoons equivalent of cinemas - art house and trendy small ones will do ok can always show back movies

What did you think of Tenet ?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

As I have posted previously in another thread, I dont believe that we are going back to the old "normal".

HOLA4425
21 hours ago, scottbeard said:

It could be, then again people thought that TV would cinema many times in the past.