House Price Crash Forum

The "My mate's lost his job" thread

HOLA441

Hi Folks,

I've got about 6 people who've now lost their jobs, about to lose their jobs or have taken a pay cut, all attributable to the current down turn.

I just found out about 1 manager thirty mins ago, he moved house this year and is now up the creek with less than 1 paddle.

My list, so far, is:

1 engineer

2 managers

1 pilot

1 in finance ( out of work since Jan )

1 in HR 

Also, 

1 in advertising is on a shoogly peg

1 in finance possibly going on a 3 day week

That's a lot considering I only know 10 people :lol: 

Anyway, what is happening with your circle of friends/colleagues ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

A few people I know who work in hospitality, sales, HR and marketing are pretty screwed to be honest.

Lots of talk that the JSS announced by the Chancellor isn't going to make any difference, all expecting to be gone by the end of Oct if not the end of the year.

Boris and Hancock's legacy...

HOLA443
HOLA444

A few people I know who work in hospitality, sales, HR and marketing are pretty screwed to be honest.

Lots of talk that the JSS announced by the Chancellor isn't going to make any difference, all expecting to be gone by the end of Oct if not the end of the year.

Boris and Hancock's legacy...

Thatchers Legacy.  

I remember as a young lad my dad saying to me, we'll all end up in soup kitchens with those ****s in power.

How right he was.

HOLA445

Immediate family....

2 accountants.

2 aeronautical engineers.

1 mathematician.

1 solicitor.

All working, mostly from home, all confident their jobs are secure.

Fingers crossed....

Bruce, you want the  "My mate's not losing his job" thread :lol: 

Glad to hear it's not all doom and gloom.

Is "mathematician" a real job ?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Sadly my daughter was made redundant today after 4 years of working 10 hours plus a day and often over the weekend, super diligent and not a day off sick.  She recruited top grad at Russell Group Univs for a large consultancy.  A friend lost her job in an estate agents (I know!) and another in Marketing is worried once furlough ends so will her job, 

HOLA4410

Sadly my daughter was made redundant today after 4 years of working 10 hours plus a day and often over the weekend, super diligent and not a day off sick.  She recruited top grad at Russell Group Univs for a large consultancy.  A friend lost her job in an estate agents (I know!) and another in Marketing is worried once furlough ends so will her job, 

Even in the midst of the "mini boom", how did that happen?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I lost my job in February before all this happened and miraculously found a another one in May. Job is for an energy consultancy and they have a full order book thanks to the government throwing money at a green recovery. 

Friends and family are all OK so far. 

Most at risk is my brother who works buying land for a house builder. He thinks the mini boom will be over by Spring next year and is not optimistic about his job prospects next year. 

Looking at LinkedIn connections most people who've become unemployed have found a new job in a few months. The main exception is those contacts in the travel trade. 

Believe the impact has been felt hardest amongst the lower paid. 

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I don’t have any friends, but people I know are talking about people they know 

most of the huawei staff in the UK but that is because of trump

also internet retail as the general public has less money 

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Hi Folks,

I've got about 6 people who've now lost their jobs, about to lose their jobs or have taken a pay cut, all attributable to the current down turn.

I just found out about 1 manager thirty mins ago, he moved house this year and is now up the creek with less than 1 paddle.

My list, so far, is:

1 engineer

2 managers

1 pilot

1 in finance ( out of work since Jan )

1 in HR 

Also, 

1 in advertising is on a shoogly peg

1 in finance possibly going on a 3 day week

That's a lot considering I only know 10 people :lol: 

Anyway, what is happening with your circle of friends/colleagues ?

I am always expecting that but the facts are

Me: between my mate and I our consultancy business three major contracts - food produce going great guns quelle surprise, relocation  - lots  of activity moving out but base fee gone back to where it was and commission coming in. Corporate film 20% down as a business  so we all took a 20% haircut but getting paid quicker than before  all this

Wife beauty business - in catch up mode works from home averaging two clients a day twice as much as normal.

Son: Corp in the US - Sales Director - still doing deals added 16 guys to his team 4 weeks ago

Daughter: Digital within the Government just had a pay rise - say no more

My nephews: One in ERP sales got a new job during lockdown, the other in new tech research grants busier than ever

My mates lads: one ERP software manufacturer just got promoted, the other on the accountancy  track in both cases no discernible difference to their expected career path

Mates garage - doing really well

My wife is also a film extra - job boards lively again

My Bulgarian builder Mate - who comes to mind because he owes me a drink after putting him into a £150k job as busy as ever

HOLA4419

I don’t have any friends, but people I know are talking about people they know 

most of the huawei staff in the UK but that is because of trump

also internet retail as the general public has less money 

funnily enough euro telecom companies are doing quite well because of trumps ban on hwawei, a lot of stuff that was shifted to china 10 years ago because of cost has now found themselves fallen foul of IP theft and defence implications...needless to say they are bringing A LOT of stuff back in house.

on top of that you have the telecom networks having to play catch up on infrastructure building because they underinvested in 4g(after being stung by 3g spectrum auctions),and now everyone wants massive amounts of data the likes of O2,vodafone,EE,BT,Virgin etc can't cope with.

covid being the catalyst that made everyone want to webinar,remote work,stream, cloud game etc etc..

HOLA4420

I am always expecting that but the facts are

Me: between my mate and I our consultancy business three major contracts - food produce going great guns quelle surprise, relocation  - lots  of activity moving out but base fee gone back to where it was and commission coming in. Corporate film 20% down as a business  so we all took a 20% haircut but getting paid quicker than before  all this

Wife beauty business - in catch up mode works from home averaging two clients a day twice as much as normal.

Son: Corp in the US - Sales Director - still doing deals added 16 guys to his team 4 weeks ago

Daughter: Digital within the Government just had a pay rise - say no more

My nephews: One in ERP sales got a new job during lockdown, the other in new tech research grants busier than ever

My mates lads: one ERP software manufacturer just got promoted, the other on the accountancy  track in both cases no discernible difference to their expected career path

Mates garage - doing really well

My wife is also a film extra - job boards lively again

My Bulgarian builder Mate - who comes to mind because he owes me a drink after putting him into a £150k job as busy as ever

You are too positive, why did mumsnet bar you

HOLA4421

Sadly my daughter was made redundant today after 4 years of working 10 hours plus a day and often over the weekend, super diligent and not a day off sick. 

Really sad to hear that - but as an ex IBMer our favourite phrase was a career is a job without overtime

You are paid to do a set amount of hours its not called a contract without reason. If you have no equity get paid for what you do - the good thing is I guess she has now learnt that

She will find something I am sure soon enough 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

LOL - its the truth that's why I was trying to put some detail in - its my little bubble and I am sure you know me well enough on here to know I am really worried about the damage this government is doing to the chances of our youngsters 

You have to in character, can you please say some depressing things, like this

Things like business is down 50%, my son is laying off 4 members of staff, my neighbours house is being repossessed, my daughter has had a pay cut, my wife has no work so has taken up flower arranging.

..You have ruined a perfectly good thread.

Edited by shlomo
advice

HOLA4424

Really sad to hear that - but as an ex IBMer our favourite phrase was a career is a job without overtime

You are paid to do a set amount of hours its not called a contract without reason. If you have no equity get paid for what you do - the good thing is I guess she has now learnt that

She will find something I am sure soon enough 

Having always been self employed since 22 I tried my best to stop her working all the hours she did! but shes young (29) and "that's what you have to do" .... I do hope she learns.  The roles she is applying for have 300 or so applications but she has a third online interview next week so hopeful....thank you .  Also, her boyfriend hasn't worked for a few months as was a contractor in the recruitment industry and its brutal in that line of work, about 500 application for every job he applies for .  He luckily got a pub job only because he knew someone, but there was well over a 100 people going for that including lawyers! 

HOLA4425

Having always been self employed since 22 I tried my best to stop her working all the hours she did! but shes young (29) and "that's what you have to do" .... I do hope she learns.  The roles she is applying for have 300 or so applications but she has a third online interview next week so hopeful....thank you .  Also, her boyfriend hasn't worked for a few months as was a contractor in the recruitment industry and its brutal in that line of work, about 500 application for every job he applies for .  He luckily got a pub job only because he knew someone, but there was well over a 100 people going for that including lawyers! 

This is a brilliant postBindy_win.jpg