House Price Crash Forum

House Prices, Dirty Lane, Fishlake, Doncaster

HOLA441

Whilst Boris' mop and bucket did bugger all, I do wonder what flood defence improvements in the North might have achieved. 

What really surprised me about Doncaster was how low some of the house prices are: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/fishlake/#expired

I didn't realise you could still get houses for £80k

HOLA442
56 minutes ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

What really surprised me about Doncaster was how low some of the house prices are: https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/fishlake/#expired

I didn't realise you could still get houses for £80k

Go a bit further outside Doncaster and you can (just about) get a house for under £50k ... e.g. https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/51037910

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
2 hours ago, Grayphil said:

Just bought a 2 bed end terrace for 34000, up in the lakes. It's valued 85000 on zoopla, think the crash has happened in parts up north

I wouldn't take Zoopla valuations too seriously if I were you.

For that price I'm guessing you've bought something that needs gutting (if it's not already been gutted by the previous tenants or the friendly locals) and by ''the lakes'' I'm guessing you mean one of the very rough and deprived former pit villages or towns in Cumbria rather than somewhere actually in the Lake District National Park?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
41 minutes ago, Andy T said:

Only in the shitty areas, no jobs, minimum wage, social problems, crime.

Anywhere half decent it's £200k at the least.

This 100%. 

working in Liverpool currently. 

House in Seaforth? Cheap as chips. Half a mile from there in Crosby? Stupid money. 

It's only cheap in places nobody wants to really put down any roots. 

HOLA4411
53 minutes ago, Andy T said:

Only in the shitty areas, no jobs, minimum wage, social problems, crime.

Anywhere half decent it's £200k at the least.

Shitty areas......you could have said that about certain places in London not that long ago......the North needs vital investment, lots going for it, the people are the salt of the earth......all that is needed is for government to believe in them and all they have got to offer......since the 70s and 80s it has been neglected in many ways.....time for change, big change.?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
43 minutes ago, “Nasty Piece of work” said:

London, Tuesday.

Yes, quality of life is still poor and rents a ripoff....but can always get work, a job that doesn't cover the cost of living....

Apart from housing London is one of the cheapest places to live....CT, water, communication, transport...more invested per capita than anywhere else in the country.?

HOLA4414
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Yes, quality of life is still poor and rents a ripoff....but can always get work, a job that doesn't cover the cost of living....

Apart from housing London is one of the cheapest places to live....CT, water, communication, transport...more invested per capita than anywhere else in the country.?

That's not true!  Have you ever bought a pint of beer in a London pub, or bought a season ticket on the London underground?  An annual Zone 1-6 London Underground ticket is over £2,500.

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

That's not true!  Have you ever bought a pint of beer in a London pub, or bought a season ticket on the London underground?  An annual Zone 1-6 London Underground ticket is over £2,500.

Who goes to a pub? set up for the tourists and those with plenty of money....you buy down the local sells everything and more 24hour opening store or local supermarket......have you tried travelling to work when living  outside london, the trains are very expensive and because of distance fuel costs and parking are high .....easy to cycle to work if live in London working in London.....?

HOLA4416
22 minutes ago, winkie said:

Who goes to a pub? set up for the tourists and those with plenty of money....you buy down the local sells everything and more 24hour opening store or local supermarket......have you tried travelling to work when living  outside london, the trains are very expensive and because of distance fuel costs and parking are high .....easy to cycle to work if live in London working in London.....?

The pub is just an example, and clearly not everyone in London can cycle to work (but yes some oustide have high costs).

So OK let's skip the anecdotals - can you point the HPC readership to any source that backs up your assertion "Apart from housing London is one of the cheapest places to live"?  Everything I recall seeing on the subject says the exact opposite.

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, winkie said:

come on, give some example costs of Council tax, water rates, transport etc

and we'll have a comparison with Manchester.

HOLA4418
13 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

The pub is just an example, and clearly not everyone in London can cycle to work (but yes some oustide have high costs).

So OK let's skip the anecdotals - can you point the HPC readership to any source that backs up your assertion "Apart from housing London is one of the cheapest places to live"?  Everything I recall seeing on the subject says the exact opposite.

Council Tax for mid band D.... Water rates for same....food in many ethnic stores, also eating out in the right places, got to know your area... free museum entry, parks, because of competition very many services cost less such as a good plumber or decorator...cabs cost less so do buses....I could go on.?

HOLA4419
15 minutes ago, winkie said:

Council Tax for mid band D.... Water rates for same....food in many ethnic stores, also eating out in the right places, got to know your area... free museum entry, parks, because of competition very many services cost less such as a good plumber or decorator...cabs cost less so do buses....I could go on.?

None of those are a factual information source - it's just a list of more assertions and opinions.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Just now, nome said:

I wouldn't take Zoopla valuations too seriously if I were you.

For that price I'm guessing you've bought something that needs gutting (if it's not already been gutted by the previous tenants or the friendly locals) and by ''the lakes'' I'm guessing you mean one of the very rough and deprived former pit villages or towns in Cumbria rather than somewhere actually in the Lake District National Park?

Yup! But still will get enough summer bookings for Air b n b to make it worthwhile

HOLA4424
Just now, stuckmojo said:

This 100%. 

working in Liverpool currently. 

House in Seaforth? Cheap as chips. Half a mile from there in Crosby? Stupid money. 

It's only cheap in places nobody wants to really put down any roots. 

You are correct, I live in Netherton, 90 grand for a 3 bed semi with large front and back gardens, everyone says its meant to be rough, I go to all the local pubs,, everyone talks to you, lot friendlier than down south for sure.

I kinda like it

HOLA4425