House Price Crash Forum

If you had the capital and the motivation what business would you like to start?

HOLA441
1 hour ago, longgone said:

Is it even easy to open any kind of business anymore with all the red tape tax rubbish to sort out. 

cash in hand and a mobile phone number is the kind of business i like. 

It's prostitution for you, then....

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Huh. Whatever happened to the lighthouse family? They were everywhere when I was a teenager, then they just vanished forever :lol:

Relevant: I would start a lighthouse but it would be used to make obscene hand shadows at France.

HOLA445
5 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Huh. Whatever happened to the lighthouse family? They were everywhere when I was a teenager, then they just vanished forever :lol:

Relevant: I would start a lighthouse but it would be used to make obscene hand shadows at France.

maybe they all got lifted ?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The Ops question is something I pondered in my 20s (probably like a lot of people). If I had the capital at that time I would have set myself up with a stable base (modest home, no debts, at least 6months cash as expenses) and then done something that I could be passionate about. Room for a bit of trial and error and making your own luck.

If I already had a course of action about a business that I was 100pc confident in then I might be tempted to take more risks.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Arms dealer - not joking, my major hobby is shooting. I find anything to do with that really interesting and it would not feel like work. Plus if I were trading internationally I could get a section 5 license and could legally own all the good stuff :)

HOLA4415

Soup kitchen....NFP.....it's gonna be big business soon/now... Government will give you massive subsidies which you can embezzle with impunity.....just as long as you get the vagrants off their official numbers...doesnt matter if a few go missing either, so you can double up with the first idea :ph34r:

Edited by Maximus Skepticus

HOLA4416

If you employ just one person you must now enroll them in a pension, it’s the law according to the radio today. What’s the point? If I was 20, based in London, and wanted to stay there I would get pregnant and go on benefits.

HOLA4417
16 minutes ago, Maximus Skepticus said:

Soup kitchen....NFP.....it's gonna be big business soon/now... Government will give you massive subsidies which you can embezzle with impunity.....just as long as you get the vagrants off their official numbers...doesnt matter if a few go missing either, so you can double up with the first idea :ph34r:

Ha, I had an identical idea.  Seriously.  Even touring around with it in a van.  Or a depression themed kitchen, just to make it cool and acceptable.  Would be healthy too!

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, tomandlu said:

2nd hand book and record shop with a bar/cafe and a performance space. And a cat.

I was about to say bookshops seem to be doing a lot better than record shops. Then I thought I'd see if I can find some figures, then I saw this:

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/record-shops-uk-figures-2016/

But the "optimistic landscape is caveated by this year’s change in reporting. For the first time, retail chains like Boots, Primark, WHSmith and Urban Outfitters were included in the data."

Edited by Kosmin

HOLA4419
50 minutes ago, doomed said:

If you employ just one person you must now enroll them in a pension, it’s the law according to the radio today. What’s the point? If I was 20, based in London, and wanted to stay there I would get pregnant and go on benefits.

I think the point is to deflect attention from the real problems. A lot of people earn very little and can't save much. If we can pretend that they don't save for their retirement because "pensions are complicated" or some nonsense, then it's a lot easier than actually facing up to difficult issues.

On the other hand, though auto-enrolment seems an annoyance in this instance, I imagine other regulations could be more troublesome like maternity/paternity leave.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I'm told weed will be legal within 10 years in the UK. 

Seems to be a really strong growth industry in America. Not in the stereotypical stoned teenager way either. A lot of older folk are ditching the prescribed opiates for self-medicated (giggly) pain relief over there.

I've a very anti-drug right-wing Texan aunt that has gone from being convinced one toke will leave you a jibbering schizo addict to absolutely swearing by the stuff. 

HOLA4424

I would think just about any business could succeed at present if it 

• had no debt, and the costs were minimal
  • appealed to folk who were not that well off or at least were watching the pennies
  • somehow different from nominally similar businesses

When I was a kid there were loads of what we called "hippy shops" selling joss sticks and so on. The best ones had a cafe attached where you could sit all afternoon with a tea and a bowl of lentil nibbles. The decor was "rejuvenated sally army furniture" and stripped pine. Only problem these days would be business rates :(

HOLA4425