• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
2 hours ago, juice05 said:

Story doing it's round. Home building stocks down 4%. Unfortunately have to register to view which I can't do right now...

"The government has embarked on a review of the Help to Buy housing scheme, which could result in it being wound down or replaced before its scheduled end in April 2021...."

http://m.propertyweek.com/5090767.article?mobilesite=enabled

Now being reported on BBC News Business. Apparently it's knocked the builders' share prices, particularly Taylor Wimpey, for six.

HOLA443

From the FT

https://www.ft.com/content/c807ea4d-c41b-3a31-b90c-72da45d53cf8

The Department for Communities and Local Government has said it is committed to continuing the Help to Buy equity loan scheme for homebuyers until at least 2021, after a report suggested it could be scrapped early. Homebuilders’ shares dropped sharply Friday morning after Property Week reported a review of the scheme might result in its ending ahead of schedule. But the DCLG said: “As we said in our Housing White Paper, we have committed £8.6 billion for the Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme to 2021, ensuring it continues to support homebuyers and stimulate housing supply. “The government also recognise the need to create certainty for prospective home owners and developers beyond 2021, so will work with the sector to consider the future of the scheme.” A person close to the scheme said any implication it would end early was “simply incorrect”. An executive at a major housebuilder said: “It’s a positive if anything, that they are thinking about what happens post 2021 and working with industry on what post 2021 looks like. ” The scheme, which enables homebuyers to purchase newly built homes with a deposit of only 5 per cent, is currently scheduled to end in April 2021. Since its launch in 2013 it has aided more than 120,000 home purchases but has proved controversial because of its contribution to profits and dividend payouts at listed housebuilders.

HOLA444

But to do this itd take a little backbone and May has absolutely none of that, seem Hammond who was Gidiots sidekick when this policy was announced has more control than her.

I remember when Blair came into power, he literally changed as much as he possibly could as quickly as he could and managed to create a feel good factor.

Cameron and May have been so utterly stunned at getting a job way beyond their ability they've ended up doing sweet FA and have shown zero courage to make their zero conviction.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
21 minutes ago, Mr Banks said:

Come on do you think the government are about to be removing props. Next you will be telling me interest rates are going up. Amazed people believe this stuff.

Exactly that theyve got their Surrey middle class core voters to look out for, the lack the wit, conviction or basic decency to allow the free markets to work.

And for being a Keynesian Blairite prty they will lose the next election.

HOLA448

Actually

9 minutes ago, Habitationi Bulla said:

Exactly that theyve got their Surrey middle class core voters to look out for, the lack the wit, conviction or basic decency to allow the free markets to work.

Actually telling people it will end soon is a way to kick people into 'making use' of htb which would spir up transactions. We saw this as the end of the last stamp duty holiday

HOLA449
HOLA4410
26 minutes ago, Habitationi Bulla said:

I think this is probably true.

HOLA4411

I don't really want FTB going after the housing stock I'm after.

i would not touch new builds, and they have been channeled into that.

if it brings prices down then cool. But I suspect I will have more competition for quality houses now. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

I don't really want FTB going after the housing stock I'm after.

i would not touch new builds, and they have been channeled into that.

if it brings prices down then cool. But I suspect I will have more competition for quality houses now. 

I know of people with bad credit records unable to secure a mortgage on a non-new build getting a larger mortgage using Help to Buy Bail Banks. That's reduced your competition but the scheme has pushed up prices overall. The ridiculously high new build prices made other houses look "cheap" by comparison. Since it started I've always suggested I don't think it can end overnight. It can only be tapered down over years or they would crash the whole market.

HOLA4414

Was shocked to read this story as it made no sense to me.

if things continue as they are the Tories lose the next election as they only get a third of the votes of non-home owners whilst homeowners split their votes much more evenly.

Thats why they have identified housing as their number one priority.

it would therefore make zero sense for them to end HTB early thereby kicking FTB's, construction companies and most of all the banks squarely in the balls.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
6 hours ago, Option5 said:

From the FT

https://www.ft.com/content/c807ea4d-c41b-3a31-b90c-72da45d53cf8

The Department for Communities and Local Government has said it is committed to continuing the Help to Buy equity loan scheme for homebuyers until at least 2021, after a report suggested it could be scrapped early. Homebuilders’ shares dropped sharply Friday morning after Property Week reported a review of the scheme might result in its ending ahead of schedule. But the DCLG said: “As we said in our Housing White Paper, we have committed £8.6 billion for the Help to Buy Equity Loan Scheme to 2021, ensuring it continues to support homebuyers and stimulate housing supply. “The government also recognise the need to create certainty for prospective home owners and developers beyond 2021, so will work with the sector to consider the future of the scheme.” A person close to the scheme said any implication it would end early was “simply incorrect”. An executive at a major housebuilder said: “It’s a positive if anything, that they are thinking about what happens post 2021 and working with industry on what post 2021 looks like. ” The scheme, which enables homebuyers to purchase newly built homes with a deposit of only 5 per cent, is currently scheduled to end in April 2021. Since its launch in 2013 it has aided more than 120,000 home purchases but has proved controversial because of its contribution to profits and dividend payouts at listed housebuilders.

Gotta love how one whiff of Tory party donors losing market cap and they double down on the Help to Buy madness.

Wonder if the Property Week journalist responsible had a hedge fund cousin with a major short position in Taylor Wimpey...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 hours ago, ThePrufeshanul said:

if things continue as they are the Tories lose the next election as they only get a third of the votes of non-home owners whilst homeowners split their votes much more evenly.

it would therefore make zero sense for them to end HTB early thereby kicking FTB's, construction companies and most of all the banks squarely in the balls.

It will mean prices fall so people dont have to take on the extra 20% of debt to gift to developers as a nice Brucey bonus, your comment is as idiotic as Help to Buy itself..

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, ThePrufeshanul said:

It would make perfect sense for them to end HTB early and the sooner the better!

HTB, combined with FLS and TFS (which has just been increased by a further £15bn) have continued to inflate the house price bubble that has priced out a generation.

Edited by Bruce Banner

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The obvious point that both of you have missed is that I don't agree with what the Tory party are doing but it makes sense for them to do it to improve their electoral chances and that's why they have been doing it for so many years - it's why they continues to state their support for it and it's why they slammed into reverse gear pretty *****ing quickly when it was suggested today that it was going to end.

The latter point - as I wrote - came as no surprise whatsoever, well not to me anyway. 

HOLA4422
9 hours ago, moonriver said:

I think they read somewhere these have not had a big uptake due to ether being too complicated or not many banks offerring them. But even if that is right, they must of been introduced as yet another prop to housing.

Only the Skipton offers a cash lifetime isa - with a couple of providers offering equity ones. That has had a much slower take up. It offers a £1k bonus for every £4k invested annually up to age 50 but can only be withdrawn before age 60 to buy a first property up to £450k UK wide as otherwise you are hit with a 25% penalty. Its also ageist - 39 year olds can open one but not 40 year olds. So clearly the government doesnt want the votes of non homeonwers over 40!

The help to buy isa has been popular - pretty much every bank and building society offers one. However it takes longer to build up the bonus - it takes you five years of maximum saving to claim the maximum £3000 although you could get £400 after 3 months. Its also very bureaucratic - you can only claim in a small window post completion, is limited to £250k properties outside London and £450k ones in London (and that includes for shared ownership not the share you buy but the total price) and your solicitor takes £50 of your bonus for processing it. Get the admin wrong or pick a non registered solicitor - and you won't get the bonus at all. It is ridiculously complicated - for a scheme designed for first timers.

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Osborne's HTB schemes rather remind me of Brown's vote-buying by hosing the public sector with money up until the late 2000s. Ultimately the combination of money and political will, will be lacking, and it will over shoot to the other side. One day.