House Price Crash Forum

BTL Tax Evasion - "Project Scare" is starting

HOLA441
13 hours ago, Dorkins said:

If only there was some kind of land registry that HMRC could use to track down landlords.

If you are renting try this out ( I have in the past) - do a search on the property on the Land Registry site (costs £3).

The owner of the house you are living in may have his address stated as the actual property. Even if you have been living there years and never seen him, he is under no obligation to update his contact details. So Land Registry can't put anybody in touch with him.

You can of course forward any mail to him , if you ever know where he lives!

Edited by frankief

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
37 minutes ago, frankief said:

If you are renting try this out ( I have in the past) - do a search on the property on the Land Registry site (costs £3).

The owner of the house you are living in may have his address stated as the actual property. Even if you have been living there years and never seen him, he is under no obligation to update his contact details. So Land Registry can't put anybody in touch with him.

So therefore, HMRC can't get their data from the LR reliably. :(

HOLA443
1 hour ago, frankief said:

Well, looking at HMRC's website, they are pretty clear that you "must" keep name and contact details up to date. I can't find find info on any penalty for not doing so, but the terminology "must", certainly implies there is a penalty for failing to do so.

"4. Update or correct the register

You must tell HM Land Registry if anything in the register changes or it is incorrect.

Update or correct contact addresses

You can register up to 3 addresses (including email and non-UK addresses) with HM Land Registry for each property.

To change your contact details or those of other owners or agents send a request to update registered owners’ contact address."

https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/update-or-correct-the-register

HOLA444
HOLA445
16 minutes ago, bomberbrown said:

Every tenancy agreement in U.K. must by law contain the landlords address. Not sure if this can be the letting agencies address mind you. 

It can be the letting agents address, providing they are managing the property. However, the letting agent has a legal responsibility to forward their clients landlords details to HMRC

HOLA446
4 hours ago, SOLZHENITSYN said:

Well, looking at HMRC's website, they are pretty clear that you "must" keep name and contact details up to date. I can't find find info on any penalty for not doing so, but the terminology "must", certainly implies there is a penalty for failing to do so.

"4. Update or correct the register

You must tell HM Land Registry if anything in the register changes or it is incorrect.

Update or correct contact addresses

You can register up to 3 addresses (including email and non-UK addresses) with HM Land Registry for each property.

To change your contact details or those of other owners or agents send a request to update registered owners’ contact address."

https://www.gov.uk/registering-land-or-property-with-land-registry/update-or-correct-the-register

Yes, I have read the Land Registry website and seen that.

However, when I had a problem with a rented house next door and I used Land Registry search to try and locate the registered owner, his address came back as - next door! Even though it has had several tenants in there over the years, he is not resident there. Ditto the other rental he owns in the next street. I never did locate him.

Either some people are not updating addresses, unaware that they have to or the search does not give updated info, just that available at date of sale.

Or the info is confidential? 

HOLA447
43 minutes ago, frankief said:

Yes, I have read the Land Registry website and seen that.

However, when I had a problem with a rented house next door and I used Land Registry search to try and locate the registered owner, his address came back as - next door! Even though it has had several tenants in there over the years, he is not resident there. Ditto the other rental he owns in the next street. I never did locate him.

Either some people are not updating addresses, unaware that they have to or the search does not give updated info, just that available at date of sale.

Or the info is confidential? 

The address on the  land register is not the address that the landlord lives at, it is the address to which he wants official notices sent to

• 3 months later...
HOLA448

The Investigatory Powers Act 2016.

List of authorities allowed to access Internet connection records without a warrant:

• Metropolitan Police Service
  • City of London Police
  • Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
  • Police Service of Scotland
  • Police Service of Northern Ireland
  • British Transport Police
  • Ministry of Defence Police
  • Royal Navy Police
  • Royal Military Police
  • Royal Air Force Police
  • Security Service
  • Secret Intelligence Service
  • GCHQ
  • Ministry of Defence
  • Department of Health
  • Home Office
  • Ministry of Justice
  • National Crime Agency
  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Department for Transport
  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
  • NHS National Services Scotland
  • Competition and Markets Authority
  • Criminal Cases Review Commission
  • Department for Communities
  • Department for the Economy
  • Department of Justice (Northern Ireland)
  • Financial Conduct Authority
  • Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
  • Food Standards Agency
  • Food Standards Scotland
  • Gambling Commission
  • Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
  • Health and Safety Executive
  • Independent Police Complaints Commission
  • Information Commissioner
  • NHS Business Services Authority
  • Northern Ireland Ambulance Service
  • Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
  • Health & Social Care Business Services Organisation
  • Office of Communications
  • Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
  • Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
  • Scottish Ambulance Service Board
  • Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
  • Serious Fraud Office
  • Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Fence said:

The Investigatory Powers Act 2016.

List of authorities allowed to access Internet connection records without a warrant:

• Metropolitan Police Service
  • City of London Police
  • Police forces maintained under section 2 of the Police Act 1996
  • Police Service of Scotland
  • Police Service of Northern Ireland
  • British Transport Police
  • Ministry of Defence Police
  • Royal Navy Police
  • Royal Military Police
  • Royal Air Force Police
  • Security Service
  • Secret Intelligence Service
  • GCHQ
  • Ministry of Defence
  • Department of Health
  • Home Office
  • Ministry of Justice
  • National Crime Agency
  • HM Revenue & Customs
  • Department for Transport
  • Department for Work and Pensions
  • NHS trusts and foundation trusts in England that provide ambulance services
  • NHS National Services Scotland
  • Competition and Markets Authority
  • Criminal Cases Review Commission
  • Department for Communities
  • Department for the Economy
  • Department of Justice (Northern Ireland)
  • Financial Conduct Authority
  • Fire and rescue authorities under the Fire and Rescue Services Act 2004
  • Food Standards Agency
  • Food Standards Scotland
  • Gambling Commission
  • Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority
  • Health and Safety Executive
  • Independent Police Complaints Commission
  • Information Commissioner
  • NHS Business Services Authority
  • Northern Ireland Ambulance Service
  • Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service Board
  • Health & Social Care Business Services Organisation
  • Office of Communications
  • Police Ombudsman for Northern Ireland
  • Police Investigations and Review Commissioner
  • Scottish Ambulance Service Board
  • Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission
  • Serious Fraud Office
  • Welsh Ambulance Services National Health Service Trust

yebbut - north korea, poor brown people, china?

f*cking CHINA over THERE!!!

HOLA4410

I've wondered why registered professionals such as doctors, dentists and solicitors don't seem to worry about being classed as a criminal and being struck off if they get caught evading tax on their BTLs? I always thought tax evasion was pretty serious yet the penalties must still be quite light.

Edited by Tiger131

HOLA4411
39 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

I've wondered why registered professionals such as doctors, dentists and solicitors don't seem to worry about being classed as a criminal and being struck off if they get caught evading tax on their BTLs? I always thought tax evasion was pretty serious yet the penalties light must still be quite light.

Because a lot  are idiots.

Those professions tend to think they are above the law/little people. Lancelet Spratt in the flesh.

They have no grasp how quick computers can search and reconcile the data out their.

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Because a lot  are idiots.

Those professions tend to think they are above the law/little people. Lancelet Spratt in the flesh.

They have no grasp how quick computers can search and reconcile the data out their.

They seem to be getting away with it so far, until there are some well publicised prosecutions by HMRC not much is going to change.

HOLA4413
4 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

They seem to be getting away with it so far, until there are some well publicised prosecutions by HMRC not much is going to change.

Hmrc really are not deferential, like a 1950s OAPs.

Again, chasing money owed for io btl is a new thing. Hmrc are are just limbering up.

HOLA4414
4 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Again, chasing money owed for io btl is a new thing. Hmrc are are just limbering up.

+1. There was little reason to chase up until this tax year as you could easily show a none profitable BTL (and you don't actually legally need to report anything where tax is not due despite what HMRC claim.) From this tax year with S24, HMRC have a real reason to chase up every BTLer and property as the interest relief has to be claimed and the higher income levels are going to have a real impact on the child benefit and other clawbacks...

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, Tiger131 said:

HOLA4416
2 hours ago, Tiger131 said:

I've wondered why registered professionals such as doctors, dentists and solicitors don't seem to worry about being classed as a criminal and being struck off if they get caught evading tax on their BTLs? I always thought tax evasion was pretty serious yet the penalties must still be quite light.

pah if everyones doing it, wheres the harm in it? innit

when my primary school teacher sister sold her house at a loss a couple of years ago and went balls deep on a cr@ppy newbuild she wanted to "just rent the old one out" innit cos that's what all her teacher pals were doing, yeah it might be a bit cheeky and against the law or whatever, but we're teachers right? am I right?

HOLA4417
On 08/07/2017 at 10:37 PM, mrtickle said:

I'm sure a tenant would, but to play devil's advocate: what punishment is available to them in Law if they don't? What legal powers does Merton Council now have, that they didn't before, to compel the tenant to provide those details - the tenant may only have the agent's details, without much/any information of the landlord.

The deposit protection csertificate, which the LL is now obliged by law to give to the tenant within a certain period, does also have to give the LL's name and address.  This applies whether a letting agent is managing the property or not. 

So in theory there is no reason why a tenant should not be able to give this info.  

However I'm sure there are plenty of scumlords who still don't protect or provide the certificate, and won't unless they think they are highly likely to get caught. 

It's high time there was some public service advertising on TV/radio to inform tenants of the LL's responsibility re deposits,  and that they can claim (I think) 3 months' rent if the LL fails to comply. 

Edit to add, friend of ours was recently contacted directly by an ex tenant, via the info on the deposit protection cert., because he was having trouble getting the letting agent to refund his deposit, even though the LL had already agreed to it being returned in full. 

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4418
22 hours ago, Tiger131 said:

HMRC is simply interested in getting the tax and continuing to do so. Cutting off the taxpayers ability to feed the system is counterproductive and most taxpayers know it. Pay the tax , the fine and continue.

HOLA4419
23 hours ago, thewig said:

pah if everyones doing it, wheres the harm in it? innit

when my primary school teacher sister sold her house at a loss a couple of years ago and went balls deep on a cr@ppy newbuild she wanted to "just rent the old one out" innit cos that's what all her teacher pals were doing, yeah it might be a bit cheeky and against the law or whatever, but we're teachers right? am I right?

My father in law is exactly the same. But instead ofbtl he's been temping as a supply chemistry teacher and paying himself via a company in the Isle Of Man and paying something like 10% tax. I've warned him and got something similar about all teachers do it and what can you expect when wages are so low...

Saw a headline in the FT last week, HMRC crackdown on nurses and teachers who have used these schemes going back 20 years. There seemed to be some sympathy and they seem to be arguing that chemistry/maths teachers arent intellingent enough to understand the scheme and didnt know paying 10% tax was illegal....ffs.

HOLA4420
On 04/11/2017 at 9:02 AM, Tiger131 said:

Ive had a think about this.

The majority of io btlers i know of idiots without much of a pot to pi55 in.

High earning dentists and consultants dont normally go for high leveraged get risk scheme. Most go for lowering income tax and maximising pension investments.

Must solicitors are pretty p1ss poor at the mo - too much competition, not enough fees.

I do know of a few tweedy EAs who are balls deep in io btl. Theyre fuxed. One going bust will bring the partnership down, ruin the sipp, etc. Totalky insane leverage and risk.

HOLA4421
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

My father in law is exactly the same. But instead ofbtl he's been temping as a supply chemistry teacher and paying himself via a company in the Isle Of Man and paying something like 10% tax. I've warned him and got something similar about all teachers do it and what can you expect when wages are so low...

Saw a headline in the FT last week, HMRC crackdown on nurses and teachers who have used these schemes going back 20 years. There seemed to be some sympathy and they seem to be arguing that chemistry/maths teachers arent intellingent enough to understand the scheme and didnt know paying 10% tax was illegal....ffs.

Yeah.

They get suckered into saving 20%. Sign up to these elaborate schemes - iom umbrella, paid in conche shells, etc etc etc. 

If theres no business reason for standing on one leg in Jersey then the scheme is tax avoidance scam and illegal.

The hare brained lawyers and accountants always give away their client list after one meeting with hmrc. Always.

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

It's high time there was some public service advertising on TV/radio to inform tenants of the LL's responsibility re deposits,  and that they can claim (I think) 3 months' rent if the LL fails to comply. 

Edit to add, friend of ours was recently contacted directly by an ex tenant, via the info on the deposit protection cert., because he was having trouble getting the letting agent to refund his deposit, even though the LL had already agreed to it being returned in full. 

Agreed about the advertising. With your friend, what happened next? What's the rest of the story - I hope they remonstrated with the letting agent, and made it absolutely clear they were never to do that again? Failing that sacked them and went with a different agent?

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, regprentice said:

That's a f***ing lie as well (on his part). I know a lot of teachers, and many of them are MASSIVELY overpaid enjoying huge golden pensions that I'd have to pay 35% of my gross income into to match, as well as 12 weeks off every year. Easily 20K more than I think they should get as a public sector employee.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425