House Price Crash Forum

BTL Tax Evasion - "Project Scare" is starting

HOLA441
On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:02 PM, Tiger131 said:

I've wondered why registered professionals such as doctors, dentists and solicitors don't seem to worry about being classed as a criminal and being struck off if they get caught evading tax on their BTLs?

I must agree.

I am astounded at the utterly casual way in which some of my acquaintances ( not, I stress, my friends), blithely dismiss the prospect of any real punishment from HMRC for what seems to me to be deliberate and obvious tax evasion associated with BTL.  These are educated people, so the defence of " I had no idea" would seem to be non-existent- and its apparently non-existent in law as a defence to tax evasion in any case. 

And yet their confidence that everything will be hunky dory is nothing less than in your face obvious, and obnoxious. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Society of fools said:

I am astounded at the utterly casual way in which some of my acquaintances ( not, I stress, my friends), blithely dismiss the prospect of any real punishment from HMRC for what seems to me to be deliberate and obvious tax evasion associated with BTL.  These are educated people, so the defence of " I had no idea" would seem to be non-existent- and its apparently non-existent in law as a defence to tax evasion in any case. 

When you have been doing something for long enough then it feeels like the normal and natural state of the world, why would it change? Hopefully HMRC are getting on with it.