House Price Crash Forum

Annoying things people have said to me about houses

btd1981

HOLA441
On 08/07/2017 at 8:13 PM, thisisthisitmaybe said:

If you are in a position to help your daughter then that is good advice. Unfortunately a lot of young people don't have parents in a strong financial position. My sister's husband walked out on her, leaving her with two young kids, and forced her to sell the house. My parents now have to pay for their holidays, rental moving costs (they've had to move three times in four years), it is all very upsetting.

I would say to your daughter, meet the right man, but let me as your dad have a strong word as to whether I think he is suitable. 

(Obviously this can also work the other way for men who marry the wrong woman).

Good points, although I am not planning (unless things improve a lot) on so much financial help as time (assuming she lives close enough to me).*

Was your sister's husband obviously a wrong un before hand?  I have met people and thought x or y is a really bad choice but others looked fine and it ended badly.

I would rather not go on holiday for a few years and spend time looking after my grandchildren than not have grandchildren which anyone who has paid holidays can do.**

One interesting thing about my idea is that the more children you have the less time and energy you will have to look after each child's grandchild, so only children really benefit. (Unless they all have children at the same time which requires a lot of luck and planning).

*It amazes me that if you are on benefits and ipso factor have time to look after your children then you get housing where you want, because of family support even though you are using housing that people who work in that area would like to have.

**I have 25 days a year if I take one off a fortnight and her father in law does the other then it is one days free childcare per week - wonderful with a baby, would really have helped me with lack of sleep.

BTW I am not saying people have to do this it is all of course lifestyle choice, if you prefer having 2 weeks in Spain/Cornwall and risking less grandchildren it is fine.  However I think women should be told about the fertility timebomb.  For example in this case I mentioned earlier

I know someone who is a devout catholic and never got pregnant after 32 despite almost certainly obeyed the Vatican teachings on contraception (this was not in the UK) as she had already had 5 children this was more a blessing than a curse for her - but does show the effect of age on fertility.

Neither her nor her daughters realized the danger for them (fortunately they all had children but less than they would have wanted).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
52 minutes ago, Tom82 said:

"We don't even use our dining room" bloomer at a BBQ on Friday evening 

What is wrong with that ? We used to have a room that was only used in the summer by my wife while drying her hair.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

a few gems off facebook

" what's the point in becoming a landlord if it's not for the capital appreciation" (well, yes, but he's still becoming a landlord)

" stopping property speculation would remove the incentive to work"

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Speculation is not work.

Indeed. People actually think it is. They call the UK property market the goose that lays the golden economic egg.

They're all so alpha, macho and aggressive. Grrrrrrr.

HOLA447

Omg. Latest missive is that proposing an LVT is anti ownership and anti investment. I then asked where would all the houses go then. Got the response that LVT is anti ownership and anti investment. It just is. Obvious apparently.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, GrizzlyDave said:

I am now at the stage in my life where I will make do and mend the small modest house I own

There's a Spectator article this week by a serving prisoner. His cell is 7x7 ft, and he says that he has everything he needs in there (bar a toilet), and he can't imagine rattling around in a house even if he gets out. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 24/06/2017 at 7:41 PM, Diver Dan said:

There was a story in the local rag about someone trying to sell a country pile between Glasgow and Edinburgh who had resorted to a raffle instead. Here was my Facebook comment and how one internet lady respobded.

Me: Desperate wheezes like this always indicate that the market is beyond overheated. The house is patently not worth anywhere near what they are claiming, otherwise they'd have sold it by now.

Internet Lady: This is not true, big houses aren't selling right now - too much uncertainty over brexit and independence and that neep over the sea.  My parents hotel has been on the market for over 5 years with the recession and previously mentioned things.  They have reduced the price of theirs to under what it is worth just to try and sell it so they can retire.  It's not a good time to be trying to sell a large property as there's just not the people with the money, it doesn't mean the houses aren't worth their prices!

Me: I have to disagree with you because you don't seem to understand the basic fundamental truth about how markets function. A buyer will always seek to pay as little as possible while a seller will try to get the most possible.

If there are no buyers at a certain price, the price is too high. You can add in as much hyperbole about political uncertainty or emotional attachment to family businesses etc. but if not a single buyer is prepared to part with their money for something, then it's simply too expensive. It doesn't matter if it's a plot of land or a pot of jam.

Internet Lady: I understand what you're saying, and yes I know buyers want a low price (hence all my properties over the years being brought from fixed price as I can't stand being outbid!).  Surely it could be that the right person just hasn't seen it yet - or that there isn't a "market" for that particular item of course.  It doesn't mean the item isn't worth the price.  I mean this house is valued at over 600k but on the market for 400k so I don't see he could afford to reduce the price even further below valuation.

Me: The "right person" is anybody who is ready, willing and able to pay money to buy something. If no such person has made themselves known, then it doesn't exactly take a genius to work out why. 

It doesn't matter that how ever many years ago when the house was last on the market that people were outbidding each other to get the place. Something is only worth what the marginal buyer is willing to pay.

No reply

Stop talking sense you moron.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Stop talking sense you moron.

The line about hating to be outbid is the bit that sticks out for me. I can't be the only one to heave a sigh of relief when I see an outbid notification the morning after a late-might ebay excursion. "Some Muppet paid, 'How much?'!"

HOLA4415
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
On 07/08/2017 at 9:30 AM, Si1 said:

"it's very simple. Supply and demand. Basic maths."

Saw one of the quotes on a property article, cant remember which, was reminded of it today.

"Bought in 1983 for 60K, now worth £650K, you do the maths"  

Clearly, they've havent done the maths and worked out what comes next

HOLA4418
On 08/08/2017 at 10:11 AM, Diver Dan said:

The line about hating to be outbid is the bit that sticks out for me. I can't be the only one to heave a sigh of relief when I see an outbid notification the morning after a late-might ebay excursion. "Some Muppet paid, 'How much?'!"

Have you seen those locker auction type program where they all bid silly money for a heap of sh*t.

Now and again someone will just try and push up the price to annoy the other bidders, because they can and can afford it.

Always good to see when they get stuck with it.

HOLA4419
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Have you seen those locker auction type program where they all bid silly money for a heap of sh*t.

Now and again someone will just try and push up the price to annoy the other bidders, because they can and can afford it.

Always good to see when they get stuck with it.

For as long as I can remember, house prices have been whizzing past what i would consider to be fair and reasonable values often purchased as a btl or a seldom-visited holiday home.

Maybe it's a form of catharsis when somebody (several boomer relatives) gets stuck with a house that they can't sell or rent out and is costing them a fortune for it not to fall apart.

HOLA4420

She hates to be outbid as she is entitled to pay less than others. She must not sell for less than it's worth, that demeans her. She manages to get a vendor to do the dirty on her and she turns regular people into neighbours from hell.

What's not to like?

HOLA4421
On 2/17/2017 at 9:11 PM, Arpeggio said:

"Nobody has a right to affordable housing"

Neither does the entire human race have a right to not get hit by an extinction sized meteor. My only issue is context, which is that we live in something called a society with taxes, laws, a police force, NHS and education etc. with 0% VAT on food due to a principle that everyone has a right to not die of starvation. All of this as a construct of what we define as the kind of society we want to live in.

"Property is my pension"

No it's not. The person who buys it off you is your pension.

:D   Cacked me pants reading that 2nd line.  Shat m'self laughing.

Incredible how THICK so many people are:blink::wacko::P

Edited by eric pebble

HOLA4422
On 6/24/2017 at 7:41 PM, Diver Dan said:

There was a story in the local rag about someone trying to sell a country pile between Glasgow and Edinburgh who had resorted to a raffle instead. Here was my Facebook comment and how one internet lady respobded.

Me: Desperate wheezes like this always indicate that the market is beyond overheated. The house is patently not worth anywhere near what they are claiming, otherwise they'd have sold it by now.

Internet Lady: This is not true, big houses aren't selling right now - too much uncertainty over brexit and independence and that neep over the sea.  My parents hotel has been on the market for over 5 years with the recession and previously mentioned things.  They have reduced the price of theirs to under what it is worth just to try and sell it so they can retire.  It's not a good time to be trying to sell a large property as there's just not the people with the money, it doesn't mean the houses aren't worth their prices!

Me: I have to disagree with you because you don't seem to understand the basic fundamental truth about how markets function. A buyer will always seek to pay as little as possible while a seller will try to get the most possible.

If there are no buyers at a certain price, the price is too high. You can add in as much hyperbole about political uncertainty or emotional attachment to family businesses etc. but if not a single buyer is prepared to part with their money for something, then it's simply too expensive. It doesn't matter if it's a plot of land or a pot of jam.

Internet Lady: I understand what you're saying, and yes I know buyers want a low price (hence all my properties over the years being brought from fixed price as I can't stand being outbid!).  Surely it could be that the right person just hasn't seen it yet - or that there isn't a "market" for that particular item of course.  It doesn't mean the item isn't worth the price.  I mean this house is valued at over 600k but on the market for 400k so I don't see he could afford to reduce the price even further below valuation.

Me: The "right person" is anybody who is ready, willing and able to pay money to buy something. If no such person has made themselves known, then it doesn't exactly take a genius to work out why. 

It doesn't matter that how ever many years ago when the house was last on the market that people were outbidding each other to get the place. Something is only worth what the marginal buyer is willing to pay.

No reply

:D:P  As I have said many times here on hpc.....  It's mind boggling how THICK people can be...:D

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Si1 said:

"it's an investment [a mortgaged house they can barely afford] and I expect we'll be compensated if we lose money"

?#!?+?

Who said that?! Compensated by who!?

HOLA4425