House Price Crash Forum
btd1981

Annoying things people have said to me about houses

In the last few months:

"We struggled too, you know"

-My parents. Five kids. Single income. Raised family during last forty years or so in house purchased with benefit of right to buy.

"They had no chance" With smile on face.

- Buy to Let Landtard describing first time buyers he saw at open house.

"Prices are only ever going to go up"

-Colleague at work. Seemingly unaware of the many instances in history where this wasn't the case.

"I bought my first house at 19. Three bed semi."

Guy at work. No formal qualification but good with construction etc. Nothing against the guy, but who ever said things were no more difficult these days?

'Landlords should be able to do whatever they want with their own property' 

Shelter advisor, 2013

He was supposed to be helping me resist a retaliatory eviction but decided he was on the side of my landlady instead.

'You know that squatting has recently been made illegal'

My mother when I told her about refusing to leave my home just because the landlady was trying to avoid doing maintenance.

'You're intentionally homeless so we don't have to do anything to help you'

Council housing advisor when a judge later agreed with Shelter and I was told that retaliatory eviction was not a thing...and duly evicted.

'Tenants like the flexibility of renting' 

Unknown politician (George Osborne?) when asked to bring in longer tenancies to protect tenants.

'We bought our first house with a loan of just £100'

My grandmother, several times and always with a self-satisfied look on her face.

'I worked really hard to get this place!'

My current landlady, aged 27, who bought her sister's old house with a £20,000 deposit from an inheritance that her mother had invested for her about 15 years earlier i.e. with no actual effort on her part whatsoever.

13 hours ago, btd1981 said:

"We struggled too, you know"

-My parents. Five kids. Single income. Raised family during last forty years or so in house purchased with benefit of right to buy.

Similar circumstances to me. 3 kids and one and a half x income, house bought from the council in 1982 for £13k after 13 or so years of tenancy and a fair amount of £ spent on cigarettes!

"Yes but wages were much lower then"

(Completely oblivious to that relative to house prices at the time). you'll never "win" in an argument with a stupid person.

5 hours ago, MattW said:

Similar circumstances to me. 3 kids and one and a half x income, house bought from the council in 1982 for £13k after 13 or so years of tenancy and a fair amount of £ spent on cigarettes!

Ha ha! My memories of childhood are my dad chain smoking and going to the pub after work nearly every day. Hard times!

4 hours ago, Arpeggio said:

"Yes but wages were much lower then"

(Completely oblivious to that relative to house prices at the time). you'll never "win" in an argument with a stupid person.

It dawned on me recently that my old banger cost around 30k in around 2000. A similar car world cost similar money now I reckon. Maybe 10k more at a push. I wish houses had tracked this kind of increase. And if second hand houses depreciated like cars I'd be laughing as it only cost me a grand.

Here's another good pair:

"house price increases are normal and good and will always go up etc. blah blah"

then another time by the same person...

"all the work is going abroad to places like China"

mmmm wonder one of the reasons why?

15 hours ago, btd1981 said:

Ha ha! My memories of childhood are my dad chain smoking and going to the pub after work nearly every day. Hard times!

Yeah similar from my childhood... My dads single, unskilled wage was enough for him to comfortably support a wife and 2 kids, pay off a mortgage, save a six figure sum by 50 and still religiously follow his football team home and away and throughout Europe!

People justifying interesting in property because savings rates are so low, as if there's no other possible option for your money, and no risk comparison to make either.

"Why don't you just buy a house?"

My dad in a recent conversation. Was living in South East at the time. 'Simples' I thought.

"You should never have sold that house."

My dad in recent, but earlier conversation, discussing my forced sale and relocation after losing my job in 2011. Had tried to do the decent thing and save to get back on my feet before I bought another place. Obliterated by recent inflation, idiot that I am for trying to be sensible.

"You should never have bought that house."

My dad again, discussing the very same place not long after my wife and I had bought it just before the financial crisis.

Full of sympathy and constructive suggestions, this one.

A long retired council employee who brought a family of 4 up on a single wage, wife never worked -

"I bought my house for £440. Had to borrow most of it and my father said to me...you'll rue the day boy that you borrowed all that money...." then he couldnt speak any more because he was laughing so much.

Woman, early 60's married and kept by husband, ranting about her married son living down south. Son and wife both working.

"Says he can't afford to buy a house because they're too dear. Well houses have always been dear, we struggled to get ours. I just wonder what the hell they're doing with their money"

"I bought my house for tuppence, and now it's worth squintillion pounds. You do the maths"

Usually said because they are unable to do said maths. 

"They aren't making land anymore"

No, but they seem to have plenty of sky and brownfield sites...and in the case of places like Isle of Dogs and flood plains, it does indeed seem like they are producing more land. 

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

My brother in law in reference to my partner and I looking at houses (I do love him but he's just getting into BTL so we're on different wavelengths):- 

"You know, you just need to get on with it and put a proper asking offer in because otherwise you'll never buy a house".

To put some context there, he decided to get into BTL after splitting up with his SO and after getting pipped to the post on the first property he looked at (offered 88K on a 90K house) he then bought the next one he looked at a few days later at the asking price....

"you just need to get a massive mortgage in life and that's how it is, otherwise you're not really committed"

(Said by someone who received £70k bomad and has family money behind him incase things go wrong)

On 20/12/2016 at 0:37 PM, Si1 said:

People justifying interesting in property because savings rates are so low, as if there's no other possible option for your money, and no risk comparison to make either.

Having brought a house almost 2 years ago it's gone up 25 k apparently.  It just can't carry on going up. It got to blow soon.

I brought my home to live in

After having revealed your HPC leanings, their response begins ' but if you think about it' before repeating standard bubble speak which they clearly haven't thought about.

Edited by Si1

"We doubled our money"

Father in law talking about my wife's parents' first step on the good old ladder.

Possibly they wonder sometimes why their 38 year old son still lives in his old bedroom and why they've only got two grandchildren from four offspring that are aged in their early to late 30s.

1 minute ago, btd1981 said:

"We doubled our money"

Father in law talking about my wife's parents' first step on the good old ladder.

Possibly they wonder sometimes why their 38 year old son still lives in his old bedroom and why they've only got two grandchildren from four offspring that are aged in their early to late 30s.

Perhaps your reasoned response might be, well the only ones who will benefit are your offspring when you pop your clogs, unless you plan on selling to live in a tent.  

It's only money on paper until  it can be realised through selling 

On 24/12/2016 at 9:19 AM, Si1 said:

"you just need to get a massive mortgage in life and that's how it is, otherwise you're not really committed"

(Said by someone who received £70k bomad and has family money behind him incase things go wrong)

Gawd I hate these people.

I think my Dad's was brilliant "You shouldn't complain about houses costing more now, houses were cheaper for my father in the 1920s and I didn't complain".

(I don' think it was true).

"I don't know how you do that drive every day"

my parents, a 90min car trip each way to work (for the last 10 years); yes that's the cold reality of modern working.

"the garden is too small and it doesn't have the wow factor"

my parents, when I send them a property that they could downsize to, (we are taking houses in the £500-£650k bracket here, detached, charming, 4-5 bed). And this is BEYOND any home their kids could ever dream of.