House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

By 10am each morning, I've had at least six cups.

By 3pm - at least another four.

You are like me on the coffee front.

My worst ever effort was whilst revising for exams once at University- I finished 3 large (six cup/3 mug) cafetières by about 10am (started at 6am).

That did completely destroy my ability to stay sat down and study after that. But on the whole I have a very high caffeine tolerance and usually manage 6 mugs a day.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I used to be a coffee addict.

Not too easy to get off it.

Like all drugs, your tolerance increases over the years, then you hit the wall and slide down the other side becoming more and more intolerant.

Because you don't get intoxicated, it is easy to ignore your addiction.

But the side effects become more pronounced, nervousness, headaches, bad temper.

HOLA443
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

It's horrible! Stick to green tea.

I have to agree with The Pin; Rooibos tea is not to my taste.  I have been drinking green tea for nearly 20 years and it is by far and away the best drink to quaff on a regular basis. Indian (or black tea) tends to make me thirsty and dehydrated but its just about tolerable without milk; best avoided IMO.  I still drink coffee but usually only one or two cups a day.

HOLA444
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

I have to agree with The Pin; Rooibos tea is not to my taste.  I have been drinking green tea for nearly 20 years and it is by far and away the best drink to quaff on a regular basis. Indian (or black tea) tends to make me thirsty and dehydrated but its just about tolerable without milk; best avoided IMO.  I still drink coffee but usually only one or two cups a day.

HOLA445
3 hours ago, MrPin said:

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I've given up smoking.

I've cut back the drink to a few cans once a week, and a couple of proper pub sessions a month (I used to go to the pub every day, either lunch time, after work,  in the evening, or all three)

So you can take my coffee from my cold dead hands. It's all I've got left. :)

HOLA449
10 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Did you try the Citalopram? I've got an uncollected prescription sitting here from a month or two ago.  

Oh yes i took the citalopram and it worked. i have a box of it sitting in my cupboard that was ordered in Dec 2014! i did pop a tab last Sunday, helped stave off the anxiety  but shortly after that was when i had the lightbulb moment of trying to cut down on the coffee. citalopram makes me feel rather nautious.

All's good so far!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I drink a fair amount of coffee, more out of habit than anything to be honest. It's become a work routine and gets me up and away from the desk. 

Doesn't really seem to affect me in all honesty and can take it or leave it. Never get the feeling that I desperately need one and don't tend to bother with them at the weekends. 

I just prefer it to tea which doesn't really have enough flavour for me. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
12 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

Did you try the Citalopram? I've got an uncollected prescription sitting here from a month or two ago. This is my last week in work and then I'm off for over 3 weeks so was gonna see if I could grind out the side effects then. I'll probably chicken out again though.

I've taken Citalopram in the past. I found it really good for my anxiety in particular. I didn't really notice any side effects but that might be because I hadn't reacted well to the prozac they tried me on first.

HOLA4414

I was always a tea person but my wife got me into drinking coffee, she can drink it all day no side effects.

One thing i noticed was that if i have robusta beans then i get anxious, twitchy and feel really wired and uncomfortable. Arabica on the other hand seems to suit me fine, drink sometimes 5-6 mugs a day and i'm ok. I do intend to cut it down though as i think it does maybe affect my mood sometimes.

Tea is the best drink by far!

HOLA4415
8 minutes ago, raindog said:

I was always a tea person but my wife got me into drinking coffee, she can drink it all day no side effects.

One thing i noticed was that if i have robusta beans then i get anxious, twitchy and feel really wired and uncomfortable. Arabica on the other hand seems to suit me fine, drink sometimes 5-6 mugs a day and i'm ok. I do intend to cut it down though as i think it does maybe affect my mood sometimes.

Tea is the best drink by far!

Arabica tastes stronger, but Robust is actually stronger (more caffeine).

My preference is 100℅ Arabica.

HOLA4416

I can't go without my pre-school run Italian blend (Sainsbury's) coffee and 11am milky (d.egberts) instant with my waffle.

We have the Thermoplan machines in our pubs where I work at w/ends and in the last place (recently transferred) it was free whilst on duty so I had 4-5 cappuccino from 6pm-1am and it never affected my ability to fall asleep. I've gone cold-turkey now we have to pay 25p and feel more alive so I must be sleeping better.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I've got one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-Espresso-Cappuccino-ESAM4200/dp/B001EOMZ5E/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1481627732&sr=1-2&keywords=bean+to+cup+coffee+machine

five years and still going.  It makes fantastic coffee and I buy the beans from Costco. Mind, they have gone from about six quid to over a tenner. In the last few years 

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, hotairmail said:

My link didn't attract any comments so I presume no one went there - I'll copy the text instead.

4 Surprising Benefits of Coffee

Can’t live without your daily cup of java? We don’t blame you! Although studies have historically shown the “negative” effects of coffee, recent studies indicate how it can actually improve your health – from boosting brain power, to delaying Alzheimer’s disease and improving memory as you age. Read on for the surprising benefits coffee has on your body and mind.

4 Surprising Benefits of Drinking Coffee

1. Coffee Can Delay Onset of Alzheimer’s

Studies show that coffee and caffeine can delay the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, even in seniors who already have some form of mild dementia. Research shows that caffeine blocks inflammation in the brain, specifically adenosine receptors, which can start a chain reaction that begins the mind’s cognitive decline.

Coffee can have such a positive effect on inflammation in the brain, that adults over the age of 65 who had higher levels of caffeine in their blood, were found to avoid or delay the onset of Alzheimer’s

Neuroscientist Chuanhai Cao, said of the study: “These intriguing results suggest that older adults with mild memory impairment who drink moderate levels of coffee — about three cups a day — will not convert to Alzheimer’s disease or at least will experience a substantial delay before converting to Alzheimer’s.”

2. Coffee Positively Affects Key Protein In Alzheimer’s Disease

Similar to the beta-amyloid protein, the tau protein is very closely linked with Alzheimer’s. Build up of the protein is present in brain scans of Alzheimer’s patients, and it is thought that the tangles of tau can kill brain cells and lead to cognitive decline.

Results from another recent study show that caffeine has a positive effect on the tau protein. Caffeine is an adenosine receptor antagonist, which means it blocks some receptors in the brain that contribute to the build of and entanglement of tau. Researchers hope their findings will lead to a new class of drugs to treat Alzheimer’s disease.

3. Coffee Boosts Brain Function and Memory

A study done at the University of California in 2014, showed that adults who consumed 200 mg of caffeine before taking a memory test had significantly greater scores on the test.

Participants were asked to look at images and take the caffeine pill, then come back one day later to identify the images that they had seen, images they had not seen, and images that were similar, but not identical. Researchers found that caffeine enhances long term memory by improving the consolidation process so that recall becomes easier.

It is important to note that participants who received 300 mg of caffeine did not do significantly better on the test and reported negative side effects such as feeling jittery and having headaches.

4. Coffee Can Protect Against Type 2 Diabetes, Which Can Lead to Alzheimer’s

Do you enjoy coffee but not like the side effects of caffeine? You can still enjoy coffee’s benefits. Studies have shown that even decaffeinated coffee can lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Authors of the study wrote, “Compared with no coffee consumption… six cups a day of coffee was associated with a 33% lower risk of type 2 diabetes.” The study found that increasing your coffee intake by one cup per day led to a 9% reduction in risk while one cup per day of decaf coffee led to a 6% reduction in risk.

Approximately 70% of people who suffer from type 2 diabetes go on to develop Alzheimer’s disease. Studies done in late 2013 even suggest that Alzheimer’s may be the late stages of type 2 diabetes or even a third type of diabetes.

Have you seen the positive effects of coffee or caffeine consumption in a loved one? Let us know in the comments below.

I think that they claim similar for nicotine which is not apparently too different to caffeine

HOLA4420
3 hours ago, Errol said:

For those looking for really top quality coffee, I highly recommend Sea Island Coffee.

The Clifton Mount Estate Blue Mountain is astonishing. £50.00 a jar but worth every penny.

https://www.seaislandcoffee.com/?gclid=CPHvh-f-8NACFc287QodxJ0ChQ

Will check it out had a friend go to jamaica recently and brought back 4kg of blue mountain lucky gave me a bag 500g saving it for new coffee machine at xmas

I used to be a huge tea drinker but needed sugar with it to much sugar

Anyway switched to black coffee from freshly grinded beans not the jar instant stuff and as other have mentioned pure coffee has benefits just like high coca dark chocolate 
but most drink stuff full of syrups and mostly frothed milk
Probably drink 2-3 cups a day 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
39 minutes ago, phantominvestor said:

Consider that you are demoralised rather than depressed.

Coffee is delicious, I try to replace drinks with tea and wean off it.

Nice article.

Most depressed people actually have Shit Life Syndrome. (When there's nothing wrong with your brain chemistry other than the fact that it's telling you the truth about how shit things are.)

HOLA4423

Coffee: honestly, I couldn't give a damn.

Suspect people's obsession must be a drug thing, despite what folks claim about taste.

Same with chocoholics, smokers, drinkers. Do people honestly believe flavour can be that motivating?

HOLA4424
7 hours ago, Errol said:

For those looking for really top quality coffee, I highly recommend Sea Island Coffee.

The Clifton Mount Estate Blue Mountain is astonishing. £50.00 a jar but worth every penny.

https://www.seaislandcoffee.com/?gclid=CPHvh-f-8NACFc287QodxJ0ChQ

50 smackers for a jar of coffee!!!

That said I guess people do the same with whiskey and cigars etc.  I think the curve of satisfaction to price starts to narrow as things become more expensive but you do get what you pay for in many cases to a degree.

May I ask how you prepare such a coffee as this, I assume it's not just add water and drink?

HOLA4425
14 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

You have to first of all feed the beans to a virgin marmoset. Collect the faeces and store in a humid cupboard for 3 years, 12 weeks, five days and 10 minutes. Gently peel off the mould with tweezers and a soft brush, crush into medium sized coarseness using a mortar and pestle (don't use a machine as they can get too hot) and then just add pre boiling water.

So, do you crush and add water to the beans or the mouldy virgin marmoset sh!t?

Archived