House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since Monday I have cut down my coffee intake. I feel more like a human being.

I never liiked it when I was very young but developed a taste for coffee  since I was 15 years old when I needed something to get me going at 5.20am. I used to make up the paper rounds for the delivery boys & girls - and had a round to do myself.

I've been sleeping better and I seem to be waking up less tired. :unsure: Also, I seem to be more constantly 'with it' throughout the day and less 'tetchy' at work (in my opinion anyway!).

In 2014 I saw my GP as I thought I had depression. He did ask how much tea and coffee I drunk a day. Although he never advised me cut down on the stuff, so he probably considered my intake at the time to be normal. I was prescribed Citalopram. Upon reflexion it was anxiety rather than depression. I think the coffee intake wass the main culprit.

Once I finish my jar of supermarket brand coffee then that will be it for me. I just have one cup in the morning while I use that up and then it will just be tea and cold drinks from now on.

So is it just me or does a copious amount of coffee send others a bit do-lally? :wacko: :blink: I don't think experts were kidding when they said it was a drug! It's like my central nervous system has been under someone else's control for over 20 years.

I have switched to decaffeinated six months ago and haven't looked back.

I used to have a twitch in my left eye lid when I got stressed. Now it's gone with dropping caffeine.

It is a very powerful drug, and should be treated as such.

Mormons don't do coffee!

Since we have a posh coffee shop on site now I see many going for their "fix".

I once worked at a place where we got into the habit of cafetière coffee.  We shared a pot before starting, morning, lunch and then afternoon.  I put down to stress that I always felt better when on leave. :lol:  I felt jittery, headaches, which I never suffer from, not able to think straight or to concentrate. 

I love the stuff but do two a day max and try and keep to one a day. 

16 minutes ago, MattW said:

So is it just me or does a copious amount of coffee send others a bit do-lally? :wacko: :blink: I don't think experts were kidding when they said it was a drug! It's like my central nervous system has been under someone else's control for over 20 years.

One cup a day is enough for me. I think I've had 2 or 3 today so probably will try not to have any tomorrow.

I've cut it out but never actually used to feel it was in any way debilitating me. I was reluctant to let it go but don't miss it.

I've been drinking Rooibos tea since which is naturally caffeine free. I drink a variety of other poncey teas too. The only thing with poncey teas is some do stain your teeth quite badly.

10 minutes ago, 200p said:

I used to have a twitch in my left eye lid when I got stressed.

I sometimes get an almost cramp like sensation in my right foot when I get stressed (I'm left sided). At one point about ten years ago it came on as I was driving a van in traffic and it started to hurt badly.

13 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Since we have a posh coffee shop on site now I see many going for their "fix".

Yes, I wonder if the explosion in chain coffee shops has turned many of our citizens into zombie like beings? Get the populous hooked on coffee - AND get them pay three or four effin' quid for the priviledge. Probably accounts for a lot of the angry driving I witness on the roads these days. That and those taurine energy drinks perhaps.

5 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I've cut it out but never actually used to feel it was in any way debilitating me. I was reluctant to let it go but don't miss it.

I've been drinking Rooibos tea since which is naturally caffeine free. I drink a variety of other poncey teas too. The only thing with poncey teas is some do stain your teeth quite badly.

Why not take them out, and use a straw?

2 minutes ago, MattW said:

I sometimes get an almost cramp like sensation in my right foot when I get stressed (I'm left sided). At one point about ten years ago it came on as I was driving a van in traffic and it started to hurt badly.

Yes, I wonder if the explosion in chain coffee shops has turned many of our citizens into zombie like beings? Get the populous hooked on coffee - AND get them pay three or four effin' quid for the priviledge. Probably accounts for a lot of the angry driving I witness on the roads these days. That and those taurine energy drinks perhaps.

I used to get quite bad leg cramps and cutting right back on sugar and carbs has seen them disappear.

1 minute ago, MattW said:

I think our works coffee shop is heavily subsidised. I rarely have one. It's the new "habit" now smoking is discouraged.

7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I've been drinking Rooibos tea since which is naturally caffeine free.

Oooh that was an answer on Pointless last week. It means 'Redbush' in an African language. :) Afrikaans or Swahilli? Might give that a go.

1 minute ago, MattW said:

Oooh that was an answer on Pointless last week. It means 'Redbush' in an African language. :) Afrikaans or Swahilli? Might give that a go.

It's horrible! Stick to green tea.

By 10am each morning, I've had at least six cups.

By 3pm - at least another four.

By 6pm, two beers and a stiff whisky.

By 11pm, at least another half-bottle of whisky.

Rinse and repeat...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

By 10am each morning, I've had at least six cups.

By 3pm - at least another four.

By 6pm, two beers and a stiff whisky.

By 11pm, at least a half-bottle of whisky.

Rinse and repeat...

XYY

Is this you XYY?

feck, picture didn't embed again  new software.....

7 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Is this you XYY?

Only until this Friday.

From whence I can neck much more beer & whisky - and a whole-lot less coffee - between then and January 3rd..!

XYY

5 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Only until this Friday.

From whence I can neck much more beer & whisky - and a whole-lot less coffee - between then and January 3rd..!

XYY

You lucky b****r finishing work on Friday. Enjoy....

37 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

I do two cups before 1pm. Doesn't keep me awake that way. Sharpens me up. 

Not sharp enough to realise you posted the same thing half hour apart!!!:P

13 minutes ago, One-percent said:

You lucky b****r finishing work on Friday. Enjoy....

Was lucky to get it.

My manager normally blocks anyone booking the week before Christmas from around the first week in October onwards - and he stayed true-to-form this year.

Got my holiday-form in on September 30th..!

:)

XYY

I drink quite a lot when I'm in the office because we have a free-vend machine.  I have to hit it pretty hard to notice any obvious side effects though.

It is annoying that there doesn't seem to be an office coffee machine in the land that offers decaf. I'm sure it's a conspiracy to keep employees permenantly wired..!

We cut back on the coffee at our house a few months back, we now use the coffee machine for tea, and wake up to a nice big pot of brewed tea :)

I still like a coffee in a morning, but it was getting ridiculous, as I drink a pint pot, and I was necking 3 or 4 in a morning.

Gave it up completely 2 months ago.  I drink lots when I work in the US and always get headaches when back in the UK that are fixed by a caffeine intake. Recently, I started to also drink coffee here and noticed that if i was away for a few days on field work without access to coffee I'd get headaches. So I've cut it out and don't miss it.

26 minutes ago, bendy said:

Not sharp enough to realise you posted the same thing half hour apart!!!:P

Ha ha! Well spotted. :D

2 hours ago, MattW said:

In 2014 I saw my GP as I thought I had depression. He did ask how much tea and coffee I drunk a day. Although he never advised me cut down on the stuff, so he probably considered my intake at the time to be normal. I was prescribed Citalopram. Upon reflexion it was anxiety rather than depression. I think the coffee intake wass the main culprit.

Did you try the Citalopram? I've got an uncollected prescription sitting here from a month or two ago. This is my last week in work and then I'm off for over 3 weeks so was gonna see if I could grind out the side effects then. I'll probably chicken out again though.

As for coffee, I didn't drink my first cup until the second half of my 20's. I adore it, although I only ever have one cup a day, at around 3 in the afternoon. I'm quite sensitive to caffeine; normally have to rush to the bog a bunch of times after having my daily coffee.

I guess the reason I really like it is that for the most part I try to have coffee with people, so I associate it with sitting in a cafe shooting the shit with a mate. I much prefer it to alcohol - with coffee it feels like someone's pushed an accelerator in my brain, with alcohol it's the opposite.

If my use of coffee ever increased I'd have to knock it on the head - I don't think it's a drug that those with a tendency towards depression/anxiety should be taking too much of.