House Price Crash Forum

Dilemma

RedMercury

HOLA441

I moved to the US 9 years ago, bought a house, had 3 kids, but I still miss home, friends and family.  More importantly I'm not sure I really want to live under the auspices of that orange wotsit twit in the White House.

I keep having thoughts about moving back (managed to save a LOT in the US, house + savings is around 800k USD, up from around 30k USD when I moved here).  After seeing the pound crash and with probably more to come in March, housing is starting to look a lot more attractive.  Given a year or so and a hard brexit, it might look amazingly attractive.

Tell me why I'm mental and why its a bad idea!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

The UK economy is doing better than most EU countries.

You won't get paid a fortune here.:huh:

But you probably won't find a job in Spain or Greece.

HOLA445

What then for London house prices.

Go up even faster :wacko:, as the US old-media moguls fleeing elites see London as a "safe haven". Now when I have heard that before?

Expect to see the Obama/Clintons administration to move to Mayfair.

Already one step ahead. ^Quoting from my speculation. There maybe many other Americans moving lock stock and barrel to what is perceived as the world safe haven, London. Move now or don't move at all? I suspect London House prices will double from here in the next 5 years, and the average house price will be near £1m. I don't have any London property and I don't care which way it goes, but a lot of people are feeling "that they don't have a choice" but to leave now.

If the EU breaks up, then expect more capital flight to London from the well heeled from many countries in Europe.

Facebook, and Google post EU referendum have already made their moves, and are massively increasing their workforces in London. Can you imagine all the other internet giants following suite? Amazon, Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, Youtube, Linkedin, Microsoft + 10 other bluechips etc....

---

Of course the other thing that might happen, is they take him round the back in a windowless room and give him a good talking to, and give him $10bn, and all will be fine in the US.

HOLA446
Guest TheBlueCat
10 hours ago, RedMercury said:

I moved to the US 9 years ago, bought a house, had 3 kids, but I still miss home, friends and family.  More importantly I'm not sure I really want to live under the auspices of that orange wotsit twit in the White House.

I keep having thoughts about moving back (managed to save a LOT in the US, house + savings is around 800k USD, up from around 30k USD when I moved here).  After seeing the pound crash and with probably more to come in March, housing is starting to look a lot more attractive.  Given a year or so and a hard brexit, it might look amazingly attractive.

It depends on what you want out of life as to whether it's a good idea or not. The  clear downsides to moving to the UK will be fewer tech job opportunities (although there's still a lot) and vastly more expensive housing (even vs. SF) anywhere near those jobs. I don't see any good reason why Brexit should make much difference as clearly neither do Facebook, Google and Amazon, all of whom have upped their presence in the UK since the vote.

Assuming you're a US citizen by now, you'll also have to go through all the hassle of continuing to file US tax returns every year and finding that a lot of financial services firms won't deal with you if you let on due to FATCA (the big ones are all fine, but they will send all your info to the IRS every year).

HOLA447
10 hours ago, RedMercury said:

Your old friends and family have forgotten you exist. In any event, they will be bored of your tales of your exotic life in America. The only people you will ever feel any connection to is other disillusioned ex-pats.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I'd say if you are unhappy in the US where you are, move to a different part of the US more like what you are seeking from your memory of the UK.  The UK of 10+ years ago is dead and gone.  As an expat I can say that.  Social/demographic change is massive in most areas that are not at the edges.  Cost of living much higher than most of the USA (not includingt NY/SF etc).

PLus - I do expect the pound to collapse at some point and the UK to face some very tough times with a fractured populace.  As a recent returner, you won't have the established networks you will need in a deep recession.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Move back immediately you poor, homesick bastad.

And my advice would be to the North-East of England, or Scotland.

Both ensure a reasonable distance between you and the Surrey relatives who think you're loaded, and also guarantee the best quality of life available in the UK in exchange for the least number of your Yankee Dollars.

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4414
12 hours ago, RedMercury said:

Why not give the orange wotsit twit a chance. It may not turn out as bad as you think.

The UK isn't going anywhere is it..... It will still be here in 4 years and they will not cancel your UK passport.

Funny the main  part of the forum is full of people who would be off this island the first opportunity they got, give what we have the UK in this day and age. You have the ability to work in the US have settled and it looks to be earning well and doing well for yourself.

I can understand  missing friends home and family but for such what seems a switched on chap you are not thinking logically. Not to mention uprooting your kids who I assume are well established in the US education system. If nothing else think of the damage you could do there.

The media have hugely over rated Trump and the potential for him being a bad leader. As his opponent said when she conceded he must be given the chance to lead....

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
55 minutes ago, ccc said:

I will ask what everyone else is thinking - how the ****** did you save circa $100k per year at the same time as having 3 kids and a wife in the US ?

if you are not living in the expensive coastal cities, the US can be very very lucrative.  lots and lots of free things, and rent/housing can be very cheap in the right areas.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
11 hours ago, ccc said:

I will ask what everyone else is thinking - how the ****** did you save circa $100k per year at the same time as having 3 kids and a wife in the US ?

Tech here had a massive boom over the past few years, and the domain I'm in (VR & AR) is on the up.  We bought slightly past our means in 2011 during the post 2008 dip, the house has put on an easy 50% in that time.  I think that this HPI is unsustainable, so I'm thinking about cashing our chips in.

The money is all well and good and we've been very fortunate, but as I said before we miss our family.  They're not getting any younger and I feel a certain sense of duty towards them.

I have my citizenship test this week but it's more in case we want to leave and come back at some point down the road.  Of course like others have said it might not be all that bad, time will tell.

HOLA4424
21 hours ago, Oliver Sutton said:

So you want to move to and tie your childrens' future to a country that looks like having a Muslim majority within a few decades from a country that has just escaped that fate?

^^^ This. I dread to think what it will look like here in 10 years time let alone a few decades. 

HOLA4425
On 27/11/2016 at 5:37 PM, RedMercury said:

Tech here had a massive boom over the past few years, and the domain I'm in (VR & AR) is on the up.  We bought slightly past our means in 2011 during the post 2008 dip, the house has put on an easy 50% in that time.  I think that this HPI is unsustainable, so I'm thinking about cashing our chips in.

The money is all well and good and we've been very fortunate, but as I said before we miss our family.  They're not getting any younger and I feel a certain sense of duty towards them.

I have my citizenship test this week but it's more in case we want to leave and come back at some point down the road.  Of course like others have said it might not be all that bad, time will tell.

Well nice one you've done well - suppose that's now why your concerned with how to put it to use ? Understandable but not a bad position to be in.

Personally I agree with others. Unfortunately the UK is going to the dogs. Really is sad to see.

Archived