House Price Crash Forum

What effect will the Trump presidency have on UK house prices?

HOLA441
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

They will be blaming brexit, after all we showed the establishment can be beaten.

There last chance is a hedgefund manager and bunch of judges?

did you ever consider that brexit may have been set up by the establishment to make people think that the establishment has been beaten??

HOLA443
25 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Arguably Julian Assange and wikileaks has been a huge anti-Clinton  influence. Wonder if he will now suddenly find all charges dropped. 

Not too sure that the Podesta emails hurt Clinton as much as they 'should' have - the Clinton campaign concocted the 'It was the Russians' BS and the mainstream media ran with it, suppressing the true story as much as possible.

The mails probably just confirmed the PoV of people who already thought she was corrupt and a liar.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Higher mortgage rates globally...

US 10 year yield now risen above 2% reflecting Trump's budget deficit funding gap. UK swap rates (and hence mortgage rates) already being pulled up with it. UK 10yr already up to 1.25% (from sub 0.8% post brexit) and could go to 2%.

3%++ mortgages by next year anyone?

HOLA446
7 hours ago, cashinmattress said:

Meh. Won't make a bean of difference seeing as the Fed bailed out British banks to the tune of hundreds of billions of greenbacks. They are inextricably linked. Americas rates are going nowhere, as is the UK's.

On the plus side, my big stake on Mr Trump at the bookies came in... a free month of living thank you.

I thought Trump was supposed to be firmly against all things QE, bail out, ZIRP related?

Or are the Fed as out of control as the BoE?

HOLA447
8 hours ago, stuckin2up2down said:

Who said they would?

Their egos are hurt.

...they speak with their feet ...walk away ...don't watch the 'I'm all right Jacks' who have shown their political hands....Donald will remember them also....:rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA448
HOLA449
6 hours ago, Lovely Rum said:

did you ever consider that brexit may have been set up by the establishment to make people think that the establishment has been beaten??

So far may is sticking with anti immigration which will stop feeding the ponzi. It will depend if they can implement the 'nick clegg' brexit, that's one where we leave yet still keep the four freedoms of the ponzi intact...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'd label myself as a left leaning liberal, but all this 'It's the end of the world as we know it' is really getting on my t**s.

It was funny watching rednecks stocking up on ammo and M16s when Obama won, but to have the so call intelligent left do the same is simply embarrassing.  I went from Remain to Brexit after the referendum because of the wailing.

It's Democracy; we give brexit a chance and will hold all of them accountable (I won't forget the £330M for the NHS). 

The US gave trump a chance; he has a chance to pull back from the really psycho rhetoric now, but he better deliver. Otherwise they will soon sharpen their sights. 

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
14 hours ago, spyguy said:

Theyll shoot up - there will be a massive shortage of bricks as he builds that fkcing big wall.

I dont know what all fuss is about his proposed wall...barriers between nations are common place out there in the real world. There already is a fence...with armed patrols....so what?

HOLA4414
32 minutes ago, Wayward said:

I dont know what all fuss is about his proposed wall...barriers between nations are common place out there in the real world. There already is a fence...with armed patrols....so what?

..ha..ha...yes the Romans built two walls across the breadth of Scotland 'Antonines' and 'Hadrians' ...but I managed to get through both many years ago.....:rolleyes:

Edited by South Lorne

HOLA4415
1 hour ago, msi said:

I'd label myself as a left leaning liberal, but all this 'It's the end of the world as we know it' is really getting on my t**s.

It was funny watching rednecks stocking up on ammo and M16s when Obama won, but to have the so call intelligent left do the same is simply embarrassing.  I went from Remain to Brexit after the referendum because of the wailing.

It's Democracy; we give brexit a chance and will hold all of them accountable (I won't forget the £330M for the NHS). 

The US gave trump a chance; he has a chance to pull back from the really psycho rhetoric now, but he better deliver. Otherwise they will soon sharpen their sights. 

...the £330m was quoted against the NHS as an example of possible usage...but I'm sure there will be many claims for other uses by the time it comes into play..housing must be high on the agenda ...and infrastructure which means we channel less people through the NHS than at present ..we also need to cut health tourism and make the weekend drunks pay for their treatment in A&E....:rolleyes:

HOLA4416
5 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

So far may is sticking with anti immigration which will stop feeding the ponzi. It will depend if they can implement the 'nick clegg' brexit, that's one where we leave yet still keep the four freedoms of the ponzi intact...

..Nick Clegg is a man of the past (was he ever there) ...and if another General Election is called hopefully he will disappear ...we don't need self appointed pseudo 'liberal elites' who are anything but 'liberal'.......:rolleyes:

HOLA4417
5 hours ago, Wayward said:

Obama disappointed his support base, Trump will do the same x2.

Trump has already vastly exceeded the expectations of most of the Trump supporters I know. They just expected him to cause chaos in the Republican primaries, but now he's gone and eviscerated the Republican party, made Hillary Clinton cry, become President, caused a global SJW meltdown, and started a campaign for California to secede from the United States. Who knows what a man like that can achieve from here?

Trump. For the lolz.

Edit: oh, yeah, rumour has it he's going to make Sarah Palin the new Secretary Of The Interior. Drill, baby, drill!

Edited by MarkG

HOLA4418
7 hours ago, South Lorne said:

...the £330m was quoted against the NHS as an example of possible usage...but I'm sure there will be many claims for other uses by the time it comes into play..housing must be high on the agenda ...and infrastructure which means we channel less people through the NHS than at present ..we also need to cut health tourism and make the weekend drunks pay for their treatment in A&E....:rolleyes:

As a more-or-less neutral, I found this one of the more irritating pieces of bremain ****-wizardry.  It was quite clear that saving £300m a year meant we could spend it on the NHS. Not that we would spend all of it that way. 

Add to that any idea that Europe funds anything, when Britain is a net contributor to the EU. If your Eu funded research is worthwhile, then make a case for your share of the £300m saving.  The money still exists, it just gets allocated by the UK instead of the EU. 

HOLA4419

I think that Trump is essentially an unknown quantity when it comes to politics. All the panic is based around what he said in the campaign, when he was clearly making shit up as he went along.

His victory is a sad day for humanity, but not for political reasons.  We live in a world where idiot narcissists are rewarded with wealth and power, and financial wealth is the ultimate measure of your value as a human being. 

Any decent tribe would have long-ago banished all the trumps to go and live out their days alone in the wilderness.  What we do instead is to find the biggest, most odious, most burdensome parasites and make them chief. 

That said, he's not even nearly the most insane member of the Republican Party, nor the most radical.  Hmight actually turn out to be a decent president despite himself.

HOLA4420
15 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

the only change in immigration policy that brexit will bring is the country of origin

HOLA4421
10 minutes ago, Grumpysod said:

I totally get why the American people voted Trump into power, and I probably would have done the same. They were in my opinion just sending out a message of desperation, a message of look what you have made me do now, I have voted a muppet into power rather than put up with one more conveyor belt politician.

Clinton would have just continued looking after the top 1% or 10% we always talk about or whatever number you want to choose, I think it is probably 15% or 20% who benefit greatly from modern era of spin BS politics. It is the reason why websites such as our HPC exist, while the present type of politics continues in the western world the homes we need building will never be built purely because the top elite will lose value in their homes.

European elections next year could well be a massive wake up call with more joining the revolution.

For me voting for someone who receives money from the Saudis would be liking kissing someone with Ebola - I could never do it ever.

(Before someone asks suppose the other person was like Hitler, the Saudis would have funded Hitler, so that couldn't happen).

HOLA4422
3 hours ago, BuyToLeech said:

I think that Trump is essentially an unknown quantity when it comes to politics. All the panic is based around what he said in the campaign, when he was clearly making shit up as he went along.

His victory is a sad day for humanity, but not for political reasons.  We live in a world where idiot narcissists are rewarded with wealth and power, and financial wealth is the ultimate measure of your value as a human being. 

Any decent tribe would have long-ago banished all the trumps to go and live out their days alone in the wilderness.  What we do instead is to find the biggest, most odious, most burdensome parasites and make them chief. 

That said, he's not even nearly the most insane member of the Republican Party, nor the most radical.  Hmight actually turn out to be a decent president despite himself.

I think that's why there is a sense of profound depression outside the US about Trump, particularly amongst the young.

If the US want to elect what many might think of as a loon or an idiot, then that's their business and quite rightly so. (a la George W)

But with Trump, its how he could elected, adopting all the tropes of an outrageous reality tv contestant and constantly using hate or being a bully to get attention - I doubt he really has half the problems he claims with Mexicans, Muslims, NAFDA and the rest; but it worked in his favor to incite the masses against them to get power.

And it worked.. henceforth, we will be stuck with even more lying make-believe politicians over the next however many years looking to do the same..

Drop in the polls - blame the foreigners, promise make-believe money, do everything to avoid giving a genuine choice to the electoral and letting them make a mature decision.. keep them in la la land of infinite growth, trickle-down economics and if it isn't working then find someone else to blame.

:(

(might have to rename myself 'sad-man-leftie' to complete my remoaning ways :-)

HOLA4423
18 hours ago, LondonBound said:

Higher mortgage rates globally...

US 10 year yield now risen above 2% reflecting Trump's budget deficit funding gap. UK swap rates (and hence mortgage rates) already being pulled up with it. UK 10yr already up to 1.25% (from sub 0.8% post brexit) and could go to 2%.

3%++ mortgages by next year anyone?

LondonBound

This will be the big effect. Since 2008 all governments have pretended to have financial prudence (while discreetly printing money), but Trump is going further. He is actively intending to go for a huge chunk of Keynesian fiscal stimulus. 

By being explicit it will push base rates up ( perhaps he actually understands how toxic the actions of central banks have been?).

If US base rates go up, then UK follows within hours.

And the 10 year fixed rates are all about the swap rates. 

So this could start an unpleasant pulling of long term deals, and that will surely hurt the market... and what's more, I don't think the UK government can do anything about it!

HOLA4424
12 minutes ago, Optobear said:

LondonBound

This will be the big effect. Since 2008 all governments have pretended to have financial prudence (while discreetly printing money), but Trump is going further. He is actively intending to go for a huge chunk of Keynesian fiscal stimulus. 

By being explicit it will push base rates up ( perhaps he actually understands how toxic the actions of central banks have been?).

If US base rates go up, then UK follows within hours.

And the 10 year fixed rates are all about the swap rates. 

So this could start an unpleasant pulling of long term deals, and that will surely hurt the market... and what's more, I don't think the UK government can do anything about it!

Do you think it's likely that Trump will raise Interest Rates?

The current guesses is that the election will prompt US Interest Rates to remain the same in December (whereas they may have gone up if Hilary/continuity had won) - then I guess it is up to Trump and the Republicans whether they will notch them up or not.

Don't the US need low interest rates due to their massive national debt mountain? (same as the UK)

HOLA4425

ETF Daily News has some very frank quotes from "Orange Swan" Trump which could have been written for him by many on here.

“Interest rates are artificially low. If interest rates ever seek a natural level, which obviously they would be much higher than they are right now — you have some very scary scenarios out there. The only reason the stock market is where it is is because you get free money  [...] They’re keeping the rates artificially low so that Obama can go out and play golf in January and say that he did a good job. 

http://etfdailynews.com/2016/08/03/trump-says-to-sell-all-your-stocks-now/

http://etfdailynews.com/2016/11/03/trumps-rise-threatens-orange-swan-event-for-stocks/

http://etfdailynews.com/2016/09/27/trump-warns-of-stock-market-crash-when-interest-rates-rise/

http://etfdailynews.com/2016/09/06/mark-cuban-stocks-will-crash-if-donald-trump-elected-president/