House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
1 hour ago, pig said:

Yes but you don't get 'kidnapped' by anti-EU bigotry you arrive at it by lazy, sloppy thinking (or even worse the Daily Mail) - it's more a lack of mental discipline than malign external force.

This is a real situation, there is no comfort to be had in the pernicious daydreams of pre-Brexit 'kippers

Bitter, bitter, bitter.

I bet you will still be whining in 20 years time.

HOLA442
6 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Assume you mean "because Section 30 of the Scotland Act 1998" but if so you are dreaming. Perhaps you would like to check out the history of the many states who have done this already and the UN General Assembly is perfectly fine about recognising them afterwards. There is no way,none, that the SNP will just fall into line with Theresa's Hard Brexit, if she gets back in.

Just so I'm clear on this - you think the SNP will just declare independence and that will be that ? :rolleyes:

HOLA443
HOLA444
6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

On the other hand we've had 800 pages of Remainers seemingly doing their best to portray the EU in a rather negative light, with only a few unconvincing appeals to greed as reasons we shouldn't have voted leave. The reason people to struggle to think of a viable stragey for a credibly better relationship with those countries is because of the EU, the last thing it wants is its members to have a good relationship with the UK and thus calling it in to question. But that's no defence for remaining.

This is the 'house of cards' argument and it has been proven false by events since June last year.  If it were true that the EU prevented a better form of relations between its members then as soon as one headed for the exit, it would have collapsed.  That didn't happen because it isn't true.

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Byron said:

Bitter, bitter, bitter.

It is too soon to say. I can't wait for Friday.

The result of General Election has been plunged into uncertainty,  after a series of polls suggested Labour’s recent boost in support could threaten the Prime Minister’s hopes of a Commons majority.

According to the Times, one Whitehall source said: “A senior civil servant sat in a meeting and said, ‘We’ve just all been told to prepare our plan for a hung parliament.’ This goes further than before.” Two weeks ago that only minor preparations had been made for scenarios which did not involve the Tories winning a majority on Thursday.

Sources have reportedly told the newspaper that Labour frontbenchers have increased their communications with senior Whitehall officials in recent days. Express

HOLA446
HOLA447
4 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

This is the 'house of cards' argument and it has been proven false by events since June last year.  If it were true that the EU prevented a better form of relations between its members then as soon as one headed for the exit, it would have collapsed.  That didn't happen because it isn't true.

How many times must this complete drivel be posted on here.

I'm not even going to bother typing out why it's complete drivel again. Myself and others already have numerous times. 

HOLA448
7 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

LOL.  In 20 weeks' time you'll be the one whining, believe me.

Why should I believe you?

You are one of those who delight in posting dire warnings without any real substance.

HOLA449
10 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

So, what exactly will be happening in 20 weeks time that will make those who voted to Leave to start whining?

Can we have your precise predictions please and see if they come about in 20 weeks time?

You may of course be predicting things that would make you whine but which I rate as precisely nil in the grand scheme of things. So, let's test it.

Check the Brussel's Brexit negotiating timetable, and you can see it for yourself.

HOLA4410
11 hours ago, Byron said:

Bitter, bitter, bitter.

? Well if even Leavers believe the UK is in for 20 years of misery wouldn't it be be more constructive to get off your metaphorical ass and start working up viable ideas to avoid that fate ?

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I know the timetable. I just don't know what he is frightened of. Is he saying Brexit is not going to happen or a so-called 'Hard' Brexit is going to happen or some sort of one-sided deal etc etc. Is he scared we won't be able to import food? Will everyone be laid off because we have no access to markets. Will we be visited by a plague of frogs?

Perhaps you could set out your version of what will happen.

I said Brexiteers like Byron will be whining, not that there is anything to be scared of per se.  The main thing they will be whining about is how the weak and crumbling EU is actually strong and stable and they will interpret this as a vindictive punishment.

HOLA4412
32 minutes ago, pig said:

? Well if even Leavers believe the UK is in for 20 years of misery wouldn't it be be more constructive to get off your metaphorical ass and start working up viable ideas to avoid that fate ?

Most Brexiteers do not believe that the UK is in for 20 years of misery.

HOLA4413
14 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

I said Brexiteers like Byron will be whining, not that there is anything to be scared of per se.  The main thing they will be whining about is how the weak and crumbling EU is actually strong and stable and they will interpret this as a vindictive punishment.

What a ridiculous explanation.

I wish the EU all the best. Many of my friends live there. I often visit there, I speak quite a bit of French

HOLA4414
5 minutes ago, Byron said:

What a ridiculous explanation.

I wish the EU all the best. Many of my friends live there. I often visit there, I speak quite a bit of French

You live there too don't forget.  The EU isn't somewhere else.

And even after the UK leaves, the British Isles will not be free of the EU.  The UK will likely rejoin piece by piece: NI though reunification, Scotland through independence, and England after all the failure of Brexit.

HOLA4415
7 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

You live there too don't forget.  The EU isn't somewhere else.

Don't agree. 'Europe' has always been everything on the other side of the British Channel. I don't consider myself European and have very little in common with the vast majority of those living there.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

So what's the conclusion? That 'Europe' doesn't just mean continental Europe?

My personal conclusion, depends.

The British Isles (i.e. Ireland and Britain, and the speckled islands) are part of the continent of Europe, but not part of continental Europe. Does that make the British European? Probably. Do I consider myself European? Sometimes. Do I consider myself a citizen of the EU? No. Because the EU is not (yet) a country.

I feel more kinship with Scandinavia and America than I do with most of Continental Europe.

HOLA4420
2 hours ago, hotairmail said:

So, what exactly will be happening in 20 weeks time that will make those who voted to Leave to start whining?

Can we have your precise predictions please and see if they come about in 20 weeks time?

You may of course be predicting things that would make you whine but which I rate as precisely nil in the grand scheme of things. So, let's test it.

We know as little now of May’s plan for Brexit as we did before the election

But first, a word about those rapidly approaching rocks. Over the past few weeks, I have talked to quite a few European leaders. Shockingly, they all say that Britain’s Brexit talks with the remaining 27 members of the EU will most probably break down.

This could occur over the next few months – before a new German government is in place – over the question of how much Britain should pay the EU for its outstanding commitments. At that moment, we will need a Commons that says: “Hold on, Prime Minister – ‘no deal’ is worse than a bad deal, so get back to the negotiating table.”

Certainly, we can’t rely on this prime minister to get the best deal. Theresa May says it’s the Brexit election, the most important in her lifetime (so much for you, Margaret Thatcher) but completely fails to tell us what Brexit will look like. Guardian

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
2 hours ago, Byron said:

Most Brexiteers do not believe that the UK is in for 20 years of misery.

We seem to be in a permanent state of misery ever since the late 1970's.

We really do not know how we'll be in 20 years.  What I do know is that 20 years ago, we had just joined the single market.

Since that time, the prospects for 80% of the population have declined markedly.  This is what I do know.

HOLA4424

Geographically Ireland and the UK occupy part of Europe. Culturally they've got rather less in common (although one end of Continental Europe to the other has just as wide a cultural difference), there's more culturally in common with Ireland and even more between the various bits of the UK. And more in common culturally with the Europe than with, say, China or Chile.

The EU though is not Europe, whatever some of its stranger adherents say. It just happens to mostly occupy that geographical area so using "European Union" as a shorthand for "A group of countries that happen to occupy geographical Europe" is fair enough. Saying "EU == Europe" is just plain wrong though.

HOLA4425
3 minutes ago, kzb said:

We seem to be in a permanent state of misery ever since the late 1970's.

We really do not know how we'll be in 20 years.  What I do know is that 20 years ago, we had just joined the single market.

Since that time, the prospects for 80% of the population have declined markedly.  This is what I do know.

To be honest I don't think we can at all blame the EU for all of that, although it certainly hasn't helped in the slightest. Our own country is run by people who regard the things that bring on that decline as worthwhile progress.