House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
7 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Who knows, there are so many variables it's impossible to say.

Whatever the answer is it won't be much affected by terrorism. As worries go terrorism it's near the bottom of any list of things likely to hurt/kill you living in the UK, probably somewhere around falling over and banging your head while putting your underpants on.     

Maybe so at the moment, There are so many terror attacks in the world the news don’t even bother to show them.. even the government are admitting it’s getting worse with more and more plots foiled each and every year.. 

HOLA442
On 10/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, HairyOb1 said:

The question was, quite simply, are British folk more culturally closer to Asians, or Europeans.  It's quite a simple question with a very easy, should I even say obvious, answer...

Ah yes, I'm simply sorry, indeed a simple question with a simple answer in a simple context for a simple..

Edited by Tapori

HOLA443
1 hour ago, macca13 said:

If you read my sentence I clearly write “historical imigration” so remove all Islamic migration since WW2 would lead to “0” terror attacks.. this is self inflicted terror.. all our problems are created by the elites.. they created the slave trade not the common man, they opened the boarders not the person in the shops working for £7 an hour. They hold the land which they stole by beating peasants.. but I have to put up with all the rubbish they have created.. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/youth-violence-and-murder-soar-in-london-new-crime-figures-show-as-man-is-stabbed-to-death-for-his-a3660541.html

hand on heart can you honestly tell me the country is better for imigration! 

We've had Islamic immigrants  pre ww2 - doesn't matter when they came, the fact is they have been  born and raised here - much like the Soho nail-bomber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland except he was white, so doesn't count as a terrorist

No response to my previous point re irish terrorism  and your zero terrorism - other than your silly attempt at sophistry

And yes, I can put hand on heart and honestly tell you the country is better for immigration - I wouldn't be here otherwise!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
33 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Jeeze Germany says exit bill is nearer 100 billion. Now we know why they are stalling on 20. Not looking good is it.

33 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Jeeze Germany says exit bill is nearer 100 billion. Now we know why they are stalling on 20. Not looking good is it.

12 years of net payments? Wow.

HOLA447
HOLA448
4 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

12 years of net payments? Wow.

Rock and hard place. There is no equivalent cash cow waiting in the wings should we leave. 

If Europe's electorate so valued the EU as claimed (as the benefits so obviously outweigh the cons :rolleyes:) then the remaining members would have no fear to ask their electorate's to stump up more tax to pay for it. Must be worth the extra tax to do away with that annoying member state and carry on.  

Ultimately this is why a No Deal scenario is extremely likely. We will end up paying an amount because something is better than nothing. Nothing and the wheels come off. 

HOLA449
10 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

But riedquat just sees Mumbai everywhere.  Laughable. 

You don't see at all. Tragic. An inability to view the world as anything other there to be used and abused. Life really is wasted on some people.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Which is why we should'nt pay anything once we leave. You have noted that Germany's FDP - very infuential after the latest election setbacks for Merkel and (worse) the SDP - have strictly ruled out any EU fiscal sharing? Why should we pay to subsidise the Euro if the German's wont?

Edited by dryrot

HOLA4411
15 hours ago, Thorn said:

Nope. 

What has happened before is there's been  a Reframing of the Question followed by the Second Referendum.

Stymied Brexit is the reframing of the question.

Well for me the Remain option would have to be reframed to include putting in place the immigration control that the government has always had.

Other than that calling it 'reframing' is of course disingenuous nonsense. It would be the FIRST referendum with an actual Brexit option on display and a Brexit designed and curated by Brexiters, not 'stymied' by them.

We wouldn't be off to a good start if Brexit politicians couldn't take responsibility for their own idiocy and / or incompetence.

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

You don't see at all. Tragic. An inability to view the world as anything other there to be used and abused. Life really is wasted on some people.

Be honest - not likely to be true.

For my part I'll resist the temptation to row and say while I profoundly disagree with your outlook at least there is some internal consistency and, above comment aside, honesty even! Unfortunately that is gold dust on the Leave side.

HOLA4413
15 minutes ago, pig said:

Well for me the Remain option would have to be reframed to include putting in place the immigration control that the government has always had.

Other than that calling it 'reframing' is of course disingenuous nonsense. It would be the FIRST referendum with an actual Brexit option on display and a Brexit designed and curated by Brexiters, not 'stymied' by them.

We wouldn't be off to a good start if Brexit politicians couldn't take responsibility for their own idiocy and / or incompetence.

I’d love another referendum based on truth.

you could tell people that if they remain the UK govt still won’t enact any of the controlling powers they’ve had for years and if we leave the EU will demand a lot of money and make it very awkward for us.

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Yawn - this is an invented figure being quoted by the papers as it makes for a good headline. For the politicians It also serves a purpose in that it will make the eventual deal more palatable to the British public.

The real bill will be between 35-55bn.

The lower figure is what the EU were prepared to accept at the outset of the A50 process.

Since them attitudes have hardened in both Germany and France and an earlier willingness to offset the bill with a share of the EU's assets is now looking politically difficult (legally we don't have a right as we didn't pay for a share of the EEC's assets when we joined). This would increase the bill by around 10-13bn.

Another factor that could add another 6-7bn to the bill is the UK's desire to make a clean break paying of long term liabilities such as pensions up front. This means we need to do it on current actuarial calculation which are at all time highs, and could add another 5-6bn over what it would probably coat to cover the liabilities on an ongoing basis. 

In summary the less than brilliant negotiations conducted by David Davis have probably increased our exit bill by around 20bn. It's no wonder DexEU staff are leaving in droves.

HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Riedquat said:

There is lots of good news out there if you are prepared to see it. The world population is going to peak at around 10bn, well within what the world can support and with far less impact than we have on it today.

Have a look at the YouTube I posted and you will see population growth in a different light, no complex maths or guestimates just an explanation of where we already are in the growth cycle.  

HOLA4416
18 minutes ago, pig said:

Be honest - not likely to be true.

For my part I'll resist the temptation to row and say while I profoundly disagree with your outlook at least there is some internal consistency and, above comment aside, honesty even! Unfortunately that is gold dust on the Leave side.

Fair enough. I've met a few Remainers who seem passionate about the EU too, and similarly I can respect that even though I profoundly disagree with a lot of what they say (HairyOB1 seems to be one of those for example - he seems motivated more by loving the look and feel of EU Europe, and I'd guess that's why he gets annoyed by those who don't).

I admit to failing to resist the temptation to draw deliberately insulting conclusions more by a desire to draw them than thinking they completely stack up.

HOLA4417
12 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Who knows, there are so many variables it's impossible to say.

Whatever the answer is it won't be much affected by terrorism. As worries go terrorism it's near the bottom of any list of things likely to hurt/kill you living in the UK, probably somewhere around falling over and banging your head while putting your underpants on.     

Tell it to the parents of the dead and maimed kids in Manchester.

Still, price worth paying for your warm glow of progressive self-righteousness.

HOLA4418
11 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

We've had Islamic immigrants  pre ww2 - doesn't matter when they came, the fact is they have been  born and raised here - much like the Soho nail-bomber https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Copeland except he was white, so doesn't count as a terrorist

No response to my previous point re irish terrorism  and your zero terrorism - other than your silly attempt at sophistry

And yes, I can put hand on heart and honestly tell you the country is better for immigration - I wouldn't be here otherwise!

Would we have more, less or the same amount of terrorism without Islam?

Take your time.....

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

There is lots of good news out there if you are prepared to see it. The world population is going to peak at around 10bn, well within what the world can support and with far less impact than we have on it today.

Whilst predications about doom, mass starvation and so on are probably exaggerated, and that peak may well be plausible, I simply don't like the idea of what the world will have to be in order to support that number, even though it probably can.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
2 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Tell it to the parents of the dead and maimed kids in Manchester.

Still, price worth paying for your warm glow of progressive self-righteousness.

Not being directly concerned about the risks of terrorism doesn't mean being indifferent to it when and where it does happen, and treating those perpetuating it as heavily as possible. You can be not terribly concerned without being callous and uncaring.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Whilst predications about doom, mass starvation and so on are probably exaggerated, and that peak may well be plausible, I simply don't like the idea of what the world will have to be in order to support that number, even though it probably can.

The good news is we can support all these people with far less impact on the environment.  

HOLA4425
14 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

The final EU quota system, for Sugar, finished in September 2017. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-3488_en.htm

Farmers think the idea that they could increase production is 'tripe'.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/16/chris-graylings-claims-that-uk-can-grow-more-dismissed-as-tripe

OK quotas seem to be over with agreed.  However they are still having a mass cull of dairy cattle in the Netherlands because of EU rules on slurry pollution.

The Guardian article concerns seem to be mostly about imported farm labour than anything else.  If a small densely populated country like the Netherlands can be one of the world's largest food exporters I don't see why we can't.

As I said before, we have 800,000 NEETS in this country plus untold thousands of indebted students who would benefit from summer jobs.