House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
1 minute ago, jonb2 said:

I think there is a lot more uncertainty now across the board - especially for the young bods.

There was a problem with industry waning - but Thatcher made it part of her Day Zero religion.

You're right about the colours ... I blame Dulux and Brexit.

Let’s not forget also that houses were cheap. And the common man could afford a semi detached for the family with the Mrs at home to help with the kids.

G R A V Y

HOLA442
11 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

As opposed to zero hour contracts?

Different flavour of crap I suppose. Now it seems like these problems are firmly established and here to stay for a dreadful future job-wise, although it might be the benefit of hindsight that sees the employment issues of the 70s as a temporary thing. After all "it's different this time" is usually a cause for eye-rolling. Decent beer wasn't all that common then either.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA443
HOLA444
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Let’s not forget also that houses were cheap. And the common man could afford a semi detached for the family with the Mrs at home to help with the kids.

G R A V Y

They were and then they were less so. Super-inflation led to big hikes.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/2647/economics/history-of-inflation-in-uk/

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
23 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Yes - that’s the whole point brexit vote was broad not kipper narrow.

vote1b.png

There's an interesting point here for statistical types.

These data are correlated.  Age and education level are correlated variables. 

Older people are less likely to have a degree than young people.  Not because they are lower in IQ, but that far fewer went on to University in their generation.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

They were and then they were less so. Super-inflation led to big hikes.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/2647/economics/history-of-inflation-in-uk/

Did you notice the big spike post 1973 ?  This was the effect on food prices of joining the common market.

I was wondering if the industrial relations ills of the later 1970's could be traced back to this event.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
2 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:
  • Threat to companies like the car industry electric cars are coming Germany - your workforce will be halved, maybe even three quartered.
  • Dyson might get his farm subsidy directly from our British pockets New electric car in 2020ish!

Sorry to cut up your & Jonb2's quotes, but the only way I could see to quote easily with this board software

The Dyson electric car sounds like big news. It'd be great if he builds it in the UK. Finally some competitors to the German carmakers?

https://masterinvestor.co.uk/evil-diaries/dyson-electrify-west-country/

Dyson to electrify the West Country: I think Sir James Dyson’s intervention in the electric car market is very telling. He is clearly very intelligent and the public believe in him. He could float Dyson vehicles right now. Of how many people could the same be said? Not many.

He will have had the advantage of watching Tesla make all those errors where they now find themselves promoting an out of date design. And then there is General Motors and Daimler Benz coming along. I give Tesla no chance whatsoever. As for its current capitalisation ($50 billion or so) this must be counted the biggest load of phooey de nos jours.

HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Errol said:

Daniel Hannan on Twitter - 

Scots vote on leaving UK? Democracy.
Kurds on leaving Iraq? Democracy.
Catalans on leaving Spain? Democracy. 
Brits on leaving EU? Racism!

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-26/three-cheers-mep-dan-hannan-why-not-better-brexit-deal-everyone

Daniel Hannan is some clown.

He proclaims that free trade is wonderful, yet he proposes leaving one of the worlds largest free trade blocks for a very uncertain future. Genius.

HOLA4414
28 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

G R A V Y

Houses were cheap in large part because after basic living expenses most people had little or no spare money.  Also I am not sure there ever was a time when the common man could afford a semi, who lived in all those terraced houses and council flats. 

HOLA4415
4 minutes ago, NuBrit said:

Daniel Hannan is some clown.

He proclaims that free trade is wonderful, yet he proposes leaving one of the worlds largest free trade blocks for a very uncertain future. Genius.

I'm not sure 'free trade' can be quoted when it's 'free trade as long as it's with us'

Let's work as a team and do it my way.

HOLA4416
8 minutes ago, kzb said:

There's an interesting point here for statistical types.

These data are correlated.  Age and education level are correlated variables. 

Older people are less likely to have a degree than young people.  Not because they are lower in IQ, but that far fewer went on to University in their generation.

There is also the age correlation with the fact that as you get older you realise you won’t ever be rich, you are stuck in a crappy house and driving a tulip car, in a dead end job with a boss you hate; so you reflect on the world and your country and get more and more bitter about the whole loaded deck, and think to yourself, you know what, let’s rock the Kasbah...

HOLA4417
28 minutes ago, highYield said:

Sorry to cut up your & Jonb2's quotes, but the only way I could see to quote easily with this board software

The Dyson electric car sounds like big news. It'd be great if he builds it in the UK. Finally some competitors to the German carmakers?

As you say - he’s having a crack at it (and there aren’t many Brits out there doing that). Best of luck to him, I say.

HOLA4418
22 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Houses were cheap in large part because after basic living expenses most people had little or no spare money.  Also I am not sure there ever was a time when the common man could afford a semi, who lived in all those terraced houses and council flats. 

Yeah - maybe not. Still a lot more house for your buck BIND.

HOLA4419
14 minutes ago, highYield said:

Dyson to electrify the West Country: I think Sir James Dyson’s intervention in the electric car market is very telling. He is clearly very intelligent and the public believe in him. He could float Dyson vehicles right now. Of how many people could the same be said? Not many.

He will have had the advantage of watching Tesla make all those errors where they now find themselves promoting an out of date design. And then there is General Motors and Daimler Benz coming along. I give Tesla no chance whatsoever. As for its current capitalisation ($50 billion or so) this must be counted the biggest load of phooey de nos jours.

I doubt this Dyson car will ever see the light of day, by 2020 BMW, Mercedes and Audi will all have a range of high quality long range electric cars on sale.

As for seeing off Tesla, where does the comedian you are quoting get the idea that they will be promoting an out of date design. The motor/drivetrain is state of the art and Tesla's software (rapidly becoming the most important bit of an electric car) is years ahead of the opposition and developing faster.

HOLA4420
24 minutes ago, Noallegiance said:

I'm not sure 'free trade' can be quoted when it's 'free trade as long as it's with us'

Let's work as a team and do it my way.

That’ll be Trump you’re talking about ;)

HOLA4421
28 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I doubt this Dyson car will ever see the light of day, by 2020 BMW, Mercedes and Audi will all have a range of high quality long range electric cars on sale.

As for seeing off Tesla, where does the comedian you are quoting get the idea that they will be promoting an out of date design. The motor/drivetrain is state of the art and Tesla's software (rapidly becoming the most important bit of an electric car) is years ahead of the opposition and developing faster.

My guess is that your guess is wrong. We'll know by about 2020 hopefully.

I don't know where Evil Kenevil gets the idea that Tesla will be promoting an out of date design - he's a man of few words, busier shorting than typing. Telsa does seem overvalued, especially if the Germans are as unbeatable as you appear to believe.

edit: you do have a good point about the software, though.

Edited by Guest

HOLA4422
8 minutes ago, highYield said:

My guess is that your guess is wrong. We'll know by about 2020 hopefully.

I don't know where Evil Kenevil gets the idea that Tesla will be promoting an out of date design - he's a man of few words, busier shorting than typing. Telsa does seem overvalued, especially if the Germans are as unbeatable as you appear to believe.

edit: you do have a good point about the software, though.

I don't think the Germans are unbeatable but they will set a very high bar for anyone trying to take them on. If anyone can do it my money would be on it being either Tesla or the Chinese (I read somewhere that they see electrification as their chance to break into the world car market).

Dyson's £2.5bn wouldn't go very far trying to compete with the Germans/Tesla, unless just perhaps he is the front for the Chinese manufacturers .   

HOLA4423
21 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I don't think the Germans are unbeatable but they will set a very high bar for anyone trying to take them on. Absolutely, or they just write some funky cheat software to make their dirty cars get over the bar. If anyone can do it my money would be on it being either Tesla or the Chinese (I read somewhere that they see electrification as their chance to break into the world car market).

Dyson's £2.5bn wouldn't go very far trying to compete with the Germans/Tesla, unless just perhaps he is the front for the Chinese manufacturers .   

HOLA4424
HOLA4425