House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
1 hour ago, Itssimple said:

Just shows how worried they are. If all was going swimmingly well this would not be important. Totally out of touch with the masses. 

Europe that Protects: implementing the EU's Action Plan against disinformation and measures to secure free and fair elections [updated 15/03/19 at 13:20] With the European elections fast approaching, the European Commission and the European External Action Service, in coordination and cooperation with the other EU institutions and EU Member States, have stepped up their action to make sure that our citizens' choices are free from manipulation, disinformation, or any interference coming from inside or outside the EU. To this end, implementation of the EU Action Plan against disinformation, presented by the Commission and the High Representative on 5 December 2018, is fully underway. Furthermore, in February 2019 the Commission published reports by Facebook, Google and Twitter (signatories of the Code of Practice), covering the progress made on their commitments to fight disinformation. On this occasion, the Commission asked the platforms to accelerate their efforts as well as to do more across all Member States to help ensure the integrity of the European Parliament elections in May 2019.Vice-President Ansip, Commissioners Jourová, King, and Gabriel will meet representatives of online platforms on Tuesday to discuss further progress on the implementation of the Code of Practice. On Monday, the Rapid Alert System, which was one of the key deliverables under the Action Plan, will be launched. The Rapid Alert System aims to strengthen coordination, analysis and joint responses to disinformation through creating a dedicated digital platform for a network of contact points from the 28 EU Member States and the EU institutions, working in close cooperation with the European Election Cooperation Network. Following up on the measures presented to secure free and fair elections as part of the State of the Union Address of President Juncker in September 2018, Commissioner for Justice, Consumers and Gender Equality, Věra Jourová, has written to national political parties calling on them to ensure transparency of political advertising, to be ready to face cyberattacks and to respect European data protection rules during the campaign.(For more information: Nathalie Vandystadt – Tel.: +32 229 67083; Christian Wigand– Tel.: +32 229 62253; Maja Kocijancic – Tel.: +32 229 86570)   

That looks like both the Ministry of Information and Pre-crime.

Unless what is accused a lie goes through due legal process to establish actual slander / libel, of which there seems to be on mention.

HOLA442
HOLA443
38 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

EFTA bears no relation to what it was when we founded it as a half-arsed attempt to rival the EEC.

Yes it does. You’re talking ****.

It works for Norway, and Switzerland.

Iceland seem happy having cancelled their application to join the EUSSR.

HOLA444
HOLA445
32 minutes ago, copydude said:

It still sounds significant to me.

Taken as a bloc, the EU is the UK's largest trading partner. In 2017 the EUaccounted for 44% of UK exports and 53% imports. ... In 2017, the UK recorded an overall trade deficit with the EU of -£67 billion. A surplus of £28 billion on trade in services was outweighed by a deficit of -£95 billion on trade in goods.11 Jan 2019 

I can't imagine you're not aware that this might be due to how the UK has been part of the EU for many years. There is no "control subject" for comparison of a UK having been outside of the EU with its trade surplus or deficit in services and goods with the world at large.

If you aren't simply stating facts, I can't see an opinion other than "Change isn't good". That might just be me missing something.

1 hour ago, kzb said:

Most UK trade is with non-SM world.  And it is growing faster than with SM trade, which has more or less flatlined.

As you might know, 94% of growth is outside the EU (but apparently I'm a "Little Islander" as a Brexit Voter). I've never bought any EU or UK funds, something didn't feel right. Made money on Latin America, India and Russia. Oh dear I said Russia.

Living in the UK but investing some ISA allowance into a Russian fund will lose me any credibility with some here. Then again I'm not in cahoots with South America, India, Robotics or the alternative energy industry either. Simply, I put my money where I see potential.

HOLA446
24 minutes ago, rollover said:

Are the DUP about to back May's Brexit deal in return for ANOTHER £1bn?

The Brexit dividends just keep giving.

I can't believe that would happen. Then again, I wouldn't have believed it would come around a third time.

That Lord Heseltine was on the box last night. He said it bringing it again, plus threats, was 'contemptible'.

But that's not all. Some other Spad typer on Sky said that if Mrs May could not get it through the house she should really go to the public. I nit you shot.

So, it may just come around a 4th time . . . 

HOLA447
1 hour ago, kzb said:

On the other hand UK trade with the rest of the world has been growing faster than with the SM. 

So it can't be that problematic.

Thanks to the EU it's been growing

50% trade still with Eu, all about to be impacted by dipshits

HOLA448
12 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

When Macron calls everyone else’s sons and daughters to fight in the EU Army you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

The Brexiter "un-elected bureaucrats" thing might have a hint of "little islander pleb mentality" in the perception of Remainers from Cheltenham.

"An Army under the command of the un-elected" is an interesting new angle.

"An Army under the command of the un-elected" said the uninformed Brexit pleb. Everyone knows an Army under the un-elected is a GOOD thing. Especially Tony Blair.

HOLA449
25 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

When Macron calls everyone else’s sons and daughters to fight in the EU Army you don’t have to worry about it anymore.

Was it not Labour and neoconservatives that called on NATO to join their adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Who has the EU invaded?

Edited by yelims

HOLA4410
2 minutes ago, yelims said:

Thanks to the EU it's been growing

50% trade still with Eu, all about to be impacted by dipshits 

I'll assume you aren't crediting outside EU growth to the EU, and that you are are saying the EU is an enabler for the UK to trade outside of the EU while having no comparison of the UK retrospectively outside of the EU, to draw from.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
1 minute ago, Arpeggio said:

I'll assume you aren't crediting outside EU growth to the EU, and that you are are saying the EU is an enabler for the UK to trade outside of the EU while having no comparison of the UK retrospectively outside of the EU, to draw from.

All those trade deals were negotiated by EU for all its members, aside Irish non EU trade was growing at much faster rate than UK

HOLA4413
Just now, yelims said:

All those trade deals were negotiated by EU for all its members.

Yes, that's what I was implying you were getting at.

1 minute ago, yelims said:

aside Irish non EU trade was growing at much faster rate than UK 

It is good to know there is growth outside of the EU (94% of it), whether done through the EU or not.

As I have previously mentioned, Ireland payed 25% of its GDP to the EU bailout while Germany paid 1.5% of it's GDP.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/42-of-europes-banking-crisis-paid-by-ireland-219703.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/why-do-the-irish-still-owe-more-than-the-greeks-1.3001026

HOLA4414
20 minutes ago, yelims said:

Was it not Labour and neoconservatives that called on NATO to join their adventures in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Who has the EU invaded?

Afghanistan was NATO - and the only time Article 5 has been used. Due to the attacks on 911.

Iraq 2, wasn’t a NATO mission. It was a coalition of the willing which included NATO members participating.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
18 minutes ago, yelims said:

All those trade deals were negotiated by EU for all its members, aside Irish non EU trade was growing at much faster rate than UK

Irish double sandwich distorts. Let's see how the Irish react when it is closed by the EU, as it will be at some point.

HOLA4417
2 minutes ago, Itssimple said:

Irish double sandwich distorts. Let's see how the Irish react when it is closed by the EU, as it will be at some point.

Erm all those schemes were closed 4 years ago and yet the country booms, with UK shooting itself in ass we get to be gateway to Europe

HOLA4418
8 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Afghanistan was NATO - and the only time Article 5 has been used. Due to the attacks on 911.

Iraq 2, wasn’t a NATO mission. It was a coalition of the willing which included NATO members participating.

So UK ended up in wars due to its agreements that have nothing to do with EU, Ireland didn't

HOLA4419
16 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Yes, that's what I was implying you were getting at.

It is good to know there is growth outside of the EU (94% of it), whether done through the EU or not.

As I have previously mentioned, Ireland payed 25% of its GDP to the EU bailout while Germany paid 1.5% of it's GDP.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/42-of-europes-banking-crisis-paid-by-ireland-219703.html

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/why-do-the-irish-still-owe-more-than-the-greeks-1.3001026

We bailed out our banks in same fashion as UK done,  now these banks are paying back billions. Between the banks and Nama we stand to make more than was spent, something I am myself surprised at.

As added bonus the real house price crash we had in Ireland made me an owner of my home and two other properties without any debt. Cha ching.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

That’s because 1) Ireland isn’t in NATO and 2) Ireland doesn’t really have much of a military.

It's called being neutral, same as those Swiss you admire

Eitherway has nothing to do with EU and your imagined EU army, from our point of view over here there is a European army, it's called NATO and UK is still a member.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The Irish border question seems to have gone a bit quieter of late, and not sure how the last bout ended, but i thought this was mildly relevant from one of my youtube subscriptions.

oh, it doesn't seem to have embedded at the time stamp. The border gets mentioned at 6:41 and then is actually crossed at 8:01. He also mentions having crossed the border (which I assume is the bridge) at  about 10:30 and 14:10. - I appreciate these are pedestrian/cycle ways.

He crosses a road border at 24:50. It seems like cars entering Switzerland have paused, while the ones entering Germany just slow down a bit.

Obviously it's a fairly quiet road, and no doubt there are major routes that commercial traffic is expected/required to use. But I assume 90% of the apparently thousands of irish border crossings are quiet roads. This by the way, is by Basel (Switzerland's 3rd city).