House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

My feeling is a no deal is better than the deal and staying in is better than the deal. 

Edited by Confounded

1 minute ago, Confounded said:

You might be right, on that basis I expect they will not vote for an extension and we will leave on the 29th as planned. It would prove to all the doubters we were lucky to get the deal we were offered. 

And who will bare the responsibility, the blame?

10 minutes ago, yelims said:

Did this electorate not vote in these MPs AFTER the referendum? Please explain if they do not represent the population according to you then who voted them in?

The true lies came from the remainer MP's that stood for election on brexit manifesto's in 2017.

If they HADN'T lied, parliament would look very different, the voting would have been much smoother,  and we could have avoided this shambles.

12 minutes ago, smash said:

And who will bare the responsibility, the blame?

The public, the politicians have already cleared their names from a no deal, legislation might force it. However I suspect it is in the EUs interested we are saddled with a “deal” .

18 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Welcome to the leave side. :)

Hopefully, your remainer's reticence will have evaporated and you can answer the question now?

EU's digital tax is dead https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/the-eus-digital-tax-is-dead-long-live-the-oecds-plans/

EU simply cannot force taxes on its members. They couldn't when Ireland was broke after great recession, they can't now because Lisbon

46 minutes ago, smash said:

This was the little gem I saw when the IFT launched. Maybe it's me but I find this just bizarre. I thought that human beings were in possession of the ability to completely reject evolutionary psychologys' claims but no. We are indeed motivated by the hunter gatherer of distant past, it's just that we need to enslave the compulsion. Double quadruple LOLs at this garbage.

No one is born a free trader. We have the instincts of hunter-gatherers: to hoard food, to provide against famine, to seek self-sufficiency. But these instincts can make it difficult to accept the economic dependence on which open trade is based. We will use videos and online resources to make the case in a way designed to appeal to sceptics – which is to say, to almost everyone.

http://www.ifreetrade.org/about

No mention of the Great Financial Crash on the front page. Too busy painting the walls of their caves, I suspect.

13 minutes ago, allfiredup said:

The true lies came from the remainer MP's that stood for election on brexit manifesto's in 2017.

If they HADN'T lied, parliament would look very different, the voting would have been much smoother,  and we could have avoided this shambles.

Name them

18 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Welcome to the leave side. :)

Hopefully, your remainer's reticence will have evaporated and you can answer the question now?

LMAO whatever Owen Patterson and his secretly funded fellow schills want out of this count me out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/britain-new-singapore-brexit-democracy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

14 hours ago, yelims said:

Why are brexiters not being called out on their lies in media?

Easiest trade deal ever?!

EU will fold at 11th hour?!

No jobs will be lost?!

Millions of pounds to NHS?!

and so on

Maybe we can infer something about media bias from this.

Keir Starmer Retweeted Nick Robinson

This evening the Brexit Secretary voted against his Government’s own motion on Brexit, which earlier in the day he had defended in the House of Commons. That’s the equivalent of the Chancellor voting against his own Budget. This is a Government that has lost complete control.

BBC

I think the Brexit charade will get worse and finish with revoking A50.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/14/world/europe/volkswagen-ceo-nazi-slogan.html

BERLIN — Volkswagen’s chief executive has apologized for using a phrase that echoed a Nazi-era slogan, “Arbeit macht frei,” or “Work sets you free,” that was emblazoned on the gates of Auschwitz and other concentration camps, saying the connection did not occur to him at the time.

The German carmaker’s chief, Herbert Diess, repeatedly said, “Ebit macht frei” — referring to profits within the company’s divisions — when speaking on Tuesday to hundreds of managers at an internal company event after Volkswagen’s annual earnings news conference, German news media reported. Ebit is an acronym for “earnings before interest and taxes.”

23 minutes ago, yelims said:

EU's digital tax is dead https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/the-eus-digital-tax-is-dead-long-live-the-oecds-plans/

EU simply cannot force taxes on its members. They couldn't when Ireland was broke after great recession, they can't now because Lisbon

I know, hence the question about Ireland vetoing the EU's digital tax policy.  

OECD it is then, so the EU is a rule taker again? ;)

UK and some other European countries have already moved on DST:

UK will impose 'digital services tax' on tech giants even if other countries won't, says Philip Hammond

Chancellor likens dominance of a handful of internet giants to fears about 'Standard Oil and the railroad cartels' in 19th century America...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-digital-services-tax-tech-giants-apple-google-philip-hammond-conservative-conference-tory-budget-a8563521.html

Do you think Ireland should maintain its veto on the EU's CT policy as well?

And tensions within the Tory party are boiling over

George Freeman MP

Extraordinary. Many of us chose to resign from Government because we disagreed with the PM & respect collective responsibility. Now anything goes. But when a Prime Minister’s own Cabinet Ministers & Whips vote against them, it’s all over.

Tom Newton Dunn

...and: the Chief Whip Julian Smith abstained. His deputy Chris Pincher also voted against the PM, with most of the senior whips. Hard to think of a more insulting blow to May's authority.

Guardian

Edited by rollover

2 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

I know, hence the question about Ireland vetoing the EU's digital tax policy.  

OECD it is then, so the EU is a rule taker again? ;)

UK and some other European countries have already moved on DST:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-digital-services-tax-tech-giants-apple-google-philip-hammond-conservative-conference-tory-budget-a8563521.html

Do you think Ireland should maintain its veto on the EU's CT policy as well?

Great news if UK shoots itself in other foot then even better for us. As for veto what veto? EU has no say in state taxation policies of its members, there's nothing to veto because Lisbon. Sigh still having to teach brexiters about EU despite 2 years of in depth education on EU

Further Labour resignations over Brexit vote

Three more Labour shadow ministers have resigned from the party’s frontbench – taking today’s total to five – over their decision to ignore the leadership’s instruction to abstain from the vote on whether or not to call a second referendum.

Guardian

Cable to stand down as Lib Dem leader

The leader of the Liberal Democrats, Sir Vince Cable, will stand down the role after the local elections in May.

Guardian

1 hour ago, Confounded said:

My feeling is a no deal is better than the deal and staying in is better than the deal. 

Yes, no deal is better than May's deal but staying in would be the best option, so hopefully A50 can still be be revoked before 29th March.

If May gets her wretched deal through on the 3rd attempt we need to chuck her, and Corbyn, and all their cronies out PDQ, appoint a new government and hold a referendum on whether to rejoin the EU on the best terms we can get.

A good scenario would be if the EU takes control and refuses to allow a short extension of A50 insisting on an extension long enough for us to hold a GE and appoint a new government that is capable of starting from square one with a new and properly worded referendum.

50 minutes ago, pig said:

LMAO whatever Owen Patterson and his secretly funded fellow schills want out of this count me out.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/britain-new-singapore-brexit-democracy?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

:lol: Still can't answer the Irish question then as a remainer or a leaver?

Back to your question, this appeals to me...

From your link...

… 

There is plenty to admire. While there is inequality in Singapore, there is also a strong sense of loyalty and shared sacrifice. Young men required to do compulsory military service form friendships across social boundaries. State schools attended by all strata of society are among the world’s best for maths and science. At lunch hour, rich and poor mingle in hawker centres, tucking in to the same mouthwatering plates of laksa, popiah and chicken satay.

Forging this consensus required a leader with singular determination and vision – Singapore’s founding father, Lee Kuan Yew, who declared: “We decide what is right. Never mind what the people think.” He was surrounded by a gifted group of politicians, backed by an efficient civil service, and showed a willingness to sweep away nearly any impediment...

… but this doesn't and these conditions exist in the UK already...

… 

It would also require deeper sacrifices than Britons are accustomed to. Ordinary people in Singapore put up with modest living space and know they will never earn enough to afford a car...

… so, and simplistically, I would vote for a party which pledges to improve QoL.

I voted Labour last time but will see what the Independent group come up with... :unsure:

27 minutes ago, yelims said:

Great news if UK shoots itself in other foot then even better for us. As for veto what veto? EU has no say in state taxation policies of its members, there's nothing to veto because Lisbon. Sigh still having to teach brexiters about EU despite 2 years of in depth education on EU

veto
[ˈviːtəʊ]
NOUN
  1. a constitutional right to reject a decision or proposal made by a lawmaking body.
    "neither state was given a veto over amendments to the Act" ·
VERB
  1. exercise a veto against (a decision or proposal).
    "the president vetoed the bill"
    synonyms:
    reject · turn down · throw out · dismiss · say ‘no’ to · rule against ·

I'll take it you don't want Ireland to harmonise its tax rate(s) with the EU26 then? 

Call a free vote for all MP's on each of the follow:

A/ Mays Deal

B/ 2nd Referendum

So far the only free vote has been on No Deal, which lost, so is effectively binned now and can be excluded from any further parliamentary free votes.

Edited by MonsieurCopperCrutch