House Price Crash Forum

Prince

SHERWICK

HOLA441

I've got the George Harrison Tribute DVD.

Its a belter.

Billy Preston doing My Sweet Lord is up there*.

* Not religious in any way.

Having become bored with mainstream pop over the years, my taste has moved to other areas of 'world music'.

I'm not religious at all, but I enjoy a lot of American Gospel singing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

There are many very talented musicians including brilliant guitar players....most people do not know their names...prince was the complete package bundled up marketed and sold very successfully. ;)

Not sure anout that. Musical prodigy from a young age, wrote, arranged and produced pretty much everything he did. Like everything that requires talent: there are levels, and there are levels.

HOLA444
Guest TheBlueCat

I can do that.

How many lead guitar players does it take to change a lightbulb? Ten, one to change it, nine to stand around saying "I could have done that."

HOLA445
HOLA446

he also didnt seem to throw himself into the celebrity nonsense and get all preachy like so many others, cough, madonna, geldof, bono do. Rather lived a quiet and private life.

Something to do with having genuine talent. He was a musical savant by all accounts. The others you mention are mediocre musicians that have aggressive PR and ruthless ambition.

HOLA447
Guest TheBlueCat

Something to do with having genuine talent. He was a musical savant by all accounts. The others you mention are mediocre musicians that have aggressive PR and ruthless ambition.

He had Mozart levels of talent from what I can tell. Not just a huge catalogue of his own material but a string of hits written for other people too.

HOLA448

he also didnt seem to throw himself into the celebrity nonsense and get all preachy like so many others, cough, madonna, geldof, bono do. Rather lived a quiet and private life.

Apart from knocking on doors and handing out the Watchtower. :)

HOLA449

Apart from knocking on doors and handing out the Watchtower. :)

Ha ha! He did that too, but always stayed in Minnesota, which is probably cheaper than Beverly Hills.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

He based himself in Mineosotta too.

Like the artic circle, without the fun.

Each to his own! I bet the fun followed him round.

He was a much better musician than I gave him credit for way back then.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Did anyone see Lisa Stansfield on breakfast?

Firstly, she was clearly smashed.

Secondly, she asked on of the presenters if she'd slept with Prince

But my favourite car-crash moment was when they asked her "So, what's your favourite Prince song?"

Quite a long pause, then eyes darting about until she finally answered whatever popped into her head after a seemingly excruciating long time.

Quite a bonkers interviewee to get on the show to talk about Prince

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Did anyone see Lisa Stansfield on breakfast?

Firstly, she was clearly smashed.

Secondly, she asked on of the presenters if she'd slept with Prince

But my favourite car-crash moment was when they asked her "So, what's your favourite Prince song?"

Quite a long pause, then eyes darting about until she finally answered whatever popped into her head after a seemingly excruciating long time.

Quite a bonkers interviewee to get on the show to talk about Prince

I am annoyed I missed this.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yes, Prince was a genius.

Just listen to his guitar playing at the end of this clip from 3:27 in:

(Also worth pointing out how brilliant Tom Petty and - ESPECIALLY - Jeff Lynne sound too, but you need to listen from the start to hear that!)

Anything as good as that nowadays?

Nope.

3.35> plenty more out there aswell

HOLA4421

I was actually referring to all of them together: Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne (WHAT.A.VOICE!), Dhanni Harrison (of couse, son of the original songwriter George Harrison) and Prince.

What an ensemble.

Glastonbury ELO this year can`t wait he`s sound a bit like Kelly Jones on this one

HOLA4422

3.35> plenty more out there aswell

When that chap has written the song he's playing then it might be be worth a look, but he needs to write and sell 100 million albums before he is close to what Prince was capable of. Don't be me wrong their are plenty of people capable of playing the guitar better than Prince (although he has always made it in to Top guitarist lists, 33 in the Rolling Stones top 100), but they don't come close to the level of musical talent that Prince possessed.

Anybody who has seen Prince live will know the talent of the man, he basically made the set up as he went along most the time. I remember on one occasion when I saw him, he opened with Purple Rain, a song many people will know but have probably never heard the full version as it's far too long for radio. For most musicians that would have been the pinnacle of their writing and performing talents, saved up and treasured and brought out right at the end of the concert as their crescendo. Not for Prince, basically knocks it out of the park from the off because it's just one in a catalogue of amazing songs.

His only issues is he was a little excentirc and did go a little bit mental with the whole Slave business, that was also at a time when I think he was at his peak.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived