House Price Crash Forum

Prince

SHERWICK

HOLA441

I remember a television discussion around 1989, at a time when the New Romantics were on the way out, and the conclusion from the pop ''experts'' was that Priince was the biggest pop star in the world with Michael Jackson at number two.

Have to say his music and image hasn't quite been as durable as Jackson's image and his songs (written for him). I did think at the time that Jackson was bigger.

Jackson always sought to be in a trinity with Elvis and the Beatles and he is certainly a bigger candidate than Prince.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Glastonbury ELO this year can`t wait he`s sound a bit like Kelly Jones on this one

When I was a boy I was listening to ELO and got all their albums, a lot of us were in the 1970s. Unfortunately according to the BBC on one of their history of pop music programmes scripted by someone who was born in 1990 we were all punks. no we bloody well weren't they were laughed at and sold hardly any records. There are more punks about today.

ELO totally under rated and written out of history by the BBC to boot.

HOLA443

I remember a television discussion around 1989, at a time when the New Romantics were on the way out, and the conclusion from the pop ''experts'' was that Priince was the biggest pop star in the world with Michael Jackson at number two.

Have to say his music and image hasn't quite been as durable as Jackson's image and his songs (written for him). I did think at the time that Jackson was bigger.

Jackson always sought to be in a trinity with Elvis and the Beatles and he is certainly a bigger candidate than Prince.

There isn't really any doubt that Jackson was bigger than Prince - but Prince was more talented and about 1000000 times cooler. He's in the trinity with Bowie and Hendrix (well, add any other talented cool musicians, ... but then it won't be a trinity...).

Anyway, given what Jackson was (supposedly) up to I'm surprised we have to get to listen to any of his output at all.

HOLA444

When that chap has written the song he's playing then it might be be worth a look, but he needs to write and sell 100 million albums before he is close to what Prince was capable of. Don't be me wrong their are plenty of people capable of playing the guitar better than Prince (although he has always made it in to Top guitarist lists, 33 in the Rolling Stones top 100), but they don't come close to the level of musical talent that Prince possessed.

Anybody who has seen Prince live will know the talent of the man, he basically made the set up as he went along most the time. I remember on one occasion when I saw him, he opened with Purple Rain, a song many people will know but have probably never heard the full version as it's far too long for radio. For most musicians that would have been the pinnacle of their writing and performing talents, saved up and treasured and brought out right at the end of the concert as their crescendo. Not for Prince, basically knocks it out of the park from the off because it's just one in a catalogue of amazing songs.

His only issues is he was a little excentirc and did go a little bit mental with the whole Slave business, that was also at a time when I think he was at his peak.

:lol: It`s a lass and my point was you don`t need to be a mega star to be a capable guitar player ,shes not a mega star by a long logn way but has done plenty of her own very very original stuff and is in the rolling stone top one hundred if you see that as real measure of things personally i don`t give much credence

Prince was undoubtedly one of the most talented musicians /songwriters ..i was just responding to the part "you don't get that these days" Marisa paternoster is a very talented songwriter/musician in her own right she's just not a mainstream mega star

HOLA445

When I was a boy I was listening to ELO and got all their albums, a lot of us were in the 1970s. Unfortunately according to the BBC on one of their history of pop music programmes scripted by someone who was born in 1990 we were all punks. no we bloody well weren't they were laughed at and sold hardly any records. There are more punks about today.

ELO totally under rated and written out of history by the BBC to boot.

Punk lived and died in 4-5 years and very little of any notoriety came from that era apart from a few classics from the sex pistols/stranglers/SLF and noe were what you could call technically great ...most of the music was politically inspired which i suppose is not a bad thing

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Punk lived and died in 4-5 years and very little of any notoriety came from that era apart from a few classics from the sex pistols/stranglers/SLF and noe were what you could call technically great ...most of the music was politically inspired which i suppose is not a bad thing

That was rather the point of punk rock. It was meant to be a reaction against overblown pretentious stadium pomp rock. The musics DIY and disposable nature was its essence. The idea was that you did not need to go to Wembley or the O2 to worship some toss pot rock star because you could have as much fun forming a band with your mates in a garage. In that respect it was a back to basics Puritan reaction to the music of the early 1970s. A lot of the bands were pretty limited but that did not stop it having its moments or producing its own classic songs. I still prefer watching semi-professional bands playing in a local boozer to the over hyped stars and their febrile rock God worshipping audiences on the big gig circuit.

HOLA449

That was rather the point of punk rock. It was meant to be a reaction against overblown pretentious stadium pomp rock. The musics DIY and disposable nature was its essence. The idea was that you did not need to go to Wembley or the O2 to worship some toss pot rock star because you could have as much fun forming a band with your mates in a garage. In that respect it was a back to basics Puritan reaction to the music of the early 1970s. A lot of the bands were pretty limited but that did not stop it having its moments or producing its own classic songs. I still prefer watching semi-professional bands playing in a local boozer to the over hyped stars and their febrile rock God worshipping audiences on the big gig circuit.

Yep and that describes the driving force behind the band i posted YT videos of ,but they are a far more technically accomplished and have not got the political slant they started playing in people's basements in New Brunswick and still do to this day even when they have done the stadium bit supporting the likes of the Arctic Monkey /Garbage and others

I`m the same to some extent when it comes to modern stuff it`s just to corporate with very little originality ever making it to the top

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Yep and that describes the driving force behind the band i posted YT videos of ,but they are a far more technically accomplished and have not got the political slant they started playing in people's basements in New Brunswick and still do to this day even when they have done the stadium bit supporting the likes of the Arctic Monkey /Garbage and others

I`m the same to some extent when it comes to modern stuff it`s just to corporate with very little originality ever making it to the top

It is probably worth noting that the Minneapolis music scene that spawned Prince in the 1970s was very much like the one you describe.

Moreover, both Prince's Mum and Dad were jazz musicians

He seems destined to be in the business from a very young age

HOLA4413

Archived