• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election/2015/results

Electorate: 46,425,386 - Percentage that voted 66.1%
Top parties with over 1m votes.
Con 11,334,920 Lab 9,347,326 SNP 1,454,436 Lib Dem 2,415,888 UKIP 3,881,129 Green 1,157,613

So in our wonderful system 18m plus did not vote Tory. About 15.7m did not Vote and you've got Cameron acting like he has a clear majority and mandate from the people. 63.1% of the electorate who voted did not want Cameron. Although whoever governs effectively most of the country don't want them.

Our bizarre system allows the Lib Dems to get 8 MP's whilst UKIP who got a higher number of votes get 1 MP. The system clearly isn't democratic.

HOLA444

An imminent casualty already hinted at will be the internet! All-encompassing communications act on the way.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/08/new_government_new_security_powers/

Sadly, I think the next 5 years are going to be very bleak indeed. This would have been the case whoever got in, probably.

I forsee massive civil liberty clamp-downs, internet bans/censorship, civil unrest, economic strife etc etc.

The Conservatives will lose the next election in the manner of John Major losing to Tony Blair. Labour should win if they get the 'right' candidate.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I think Chuka Umunna will be the next Labour leader. They can sell him as a UK version of Obama (his name even sounds similar) and he is a relatively fresh face, untarnished by nuLabour association.

Somehow I don't think the country's ready for an ethnic minority PM.

He'll look absolutely fantastic in the opinion polls, but once people get into the polling booth they'll vote for someone else.

HOLA447

Sadly, I think the next 5 years are going to be very bleak indeed. This would have been the case whoever got in, probably.

I forsee massive civil liberty clamp-downs, internet bans/censorship, civil unrest, economic strife etc etc.

The Conservatives will lose the next election in the manner of John Major losing to Tony Blair. Labour should win if they get the 'right' candidate.

The Tories are pretty good with civil liberties. Its Labour and the left you need to worry about on those.

As far as Labour winning if the get the right candidate. None appear to be electable. Brown really screwed over the last, current and next generation in making sure he got to be PM.

HOLA448

Somehow I don't think the country's ready for an ethnic minority PM.

He'll look absolutely fantastic in the opinion polls, but once people get into the polling booth they'll vote for someone else.

I don't think so.

Chukka was rolled out to tick the business friendy and ethnic boxes.

I have a feeling - but no knowledge - that his financial affairs will not stand to much scrutiny.

And he's a vapid, lightweight.

And the Unions will not like him,

HOLA449

The Tories are pretty good with civil liberties. Its Labour and the left you need to worry about on those.

As far as Labour winning if the get the right candidate. None appear to be electable. Brown really screwed over the last, current and next generation in making sure he got to be PM.

Ahem...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/05/08/new_government_new_security_powers/

In my experience, they all tend towards cracking down on civil liberties after they've been in power for a while.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

63.1% of the electorate who voted did not want Cameron. Although whoever governs effectively most of the country don't want them.

64.8% of the electorate who voted did not want Blair in 2005

You have to go back to 1931 and Stanley Baldwin to find a PM that the majority actually voted for (thanks Wiki!)

HOLA4412

Jesus Christ - put like that this result looks absolutely shocking.

To take this to its logical conclusion: Con got 11.33m votes out of an electorate of 46.43m, so less than 25% of eligible voters voted for them.

No doubt there are plenty of similar historical cases, but it's a good reminder of how our system and the public's disposition combine.

HOLA4413

I don't think so.

Chukka was rolled out to tick the business friendy and ethnic boxes.

I have a feeling - but no knowledge - that his financial affairs will not stand to much scrutiny.

And he's a vapid, lightweight.

And the Unions will not like him,

Chukka Umunna is so obviously a career politician that it would be complete suicide for Labour to elect him. What does he honestly believe in? Social justice? Which explains why he became corporate lawyer.

Umunna is emblematic of Labour's core problem -- they're a state in search of a nation. The Labour Party leadership represents the state apparatus, but they've disowned the nation which that state is supposed to serve.

HOLA4414

Chukka Umunna is so obviously a career politician that it would be complete suicide for Labour to elect him. What does he honestly believe in? Social justice?

Don't disagree, but EXACTLY the same thing goes for Camoron. If not more so.

HOLA4415

You have to go back to 1931 and Stanley Baldwin to find a PM that the majority actually voted for (thanks Wiki!)

I suppose you could argue that Cameron was in the same position until yesterday, the combined con-lib vote was over 50% in 2010.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Con got 36.9% of the vote and got 50.9% of MPs

Lab got 30.4% of the vote and got 35.7% of MPs

UK got 12.6% of the vote and got 0.15% of MPs

SNP got 4.7% of the vote and got 8.6% of MPs

A wonderful electoral system.

We dont vote for a party or a PM, we vote for representative MPs.

At least that way you get the MP who has a majority in your consituency and is accountable to his/her electorate.

If you simply gave Farage 50 mps or whatever when he lost in every consituency bar 1 that would be about as undemocratic as I could imagine.

So Ed Balls for instance was kicked out by his consituents. Ditto Danny Alexander. Seems quite a reasonable outcome.

Edited by R K

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

It's hard to see how UK politics is going to be sustainable. Cameron gets elected with a tiny majority and most of the country voted against him.

The conservatives have no mandate for Scotland, it's hard to see how you can govern a country when effectively one part of it has told you to feck off. Labour have successfully managed to make themselves unelectable with the devolution plan which they thought would give them Scotland to rule in perpetually.

The Tories now have a real problem if English nationalism raises the English Democrats could start to challenge them along with perhaps UKIP. It's hard to see how the first past the post system will be maintained, Cameron now has to hope his MP's stay fit he could see his majority quickly erode with by-elections.

It's a tiny majority and he has no mandate for the country. 5 years of political uncertainty now.

Yep, although my prediction that the Tories wouldn`t get their majority was way off, this is even better, it is going to be Thatcher V the Unions/miners on steroids, the battle lines have been drawn. They might even have to put the wall back up.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

WRT Jarvis

ok might have a bit of respect for this guy as he's done a proper job.

what about frank field??......one of the only truly decent labour mp's not stuck in class war student union dogma.

Edited by oracle

HOLA4425

How is that going for you?

Not that I trust your judgement less than I would a creche run by Jimmy Savile and Cyril Smith but your post had all the hallmarks of a classic HPC contra-indicator.

And I trust your judgement less than I would a creche run by Jimmy Savile and Cyril Smith.

Well the party I voted for just had a landslide victory, so I`ll get over it.