House Price Crash Forum

Wetaher Bomb For Scotland Wednesday & Thursday

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

What a picture!

_79604217_swell.jpg

A chart showing the movement of swells of up to 40ft from 06:00 to 15:00 on Wednesday

Severe gales have been forecast and sea swells for parts of Scotland of up to 40ft (12m).

40ft swells!! Crikey, no strolling along the beach tomorrow.

A tad windy for the rest of us by the look of it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30393614

Edit for link.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Would not fancy being on an oil rig - is this the kind of thing that they evacuate the rigs for?

Fortunately I think they're all in the North Sea (or up by Shetland/Orkney) where it doesn't look as if thing will be too bad. I still wouldn't fancy it though.

HOLA445

Strange things going on - sky full of breasts!

JS52607690.jpg

Mammatus clouds over Byker, Newcastle

Scary looking clouds created apocalyptic scenes across Newcastle this morning. Eagle-eyed readers spotted the strange clouds formations - known as mammatus cloud - above parts of the city at around 11am. The Chronicle photographer Simon Greener snapped a photo of the clouds above Byker. Others headed to social media to express their shock of the sightings.

North East-based weather forecaster Jennifer Bartram said: “They form when there is a lot of turbulence within the cloud, often alongside a thunderstorm. “It’s not a cloud in its own right, but a strange pattern of pouches that can form underneath a cloud when conditions are right.” Mammatus clouds take their name from the Latin for ‘udder’ or ‘breast’, and if you see one, it’s not difficult to understand why. Underneath the cloud hang hundreds and hundreds of udder-like, smooth, round lumps.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-weather-apocalyptic-scenes-caused-8256412

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Serious technical question - what is a 40ft swell?

Does that mean that the average water level is 40ft higher? Than what, mean sea level? normal tide?

Or does it mean that the peaks of the waves are 40ft higher? And higher than what?

I took it to mean a 20ft wave, i.e. peak to trough in the open sea 40ft.

Add in winds, waves heighteneing as they come in to shallow water, and the increased sea height owing to low pressure and you don't want a house by the sea in the western isles.

The one saving grace is that tides are not at their highest thsi week, reasoanbly so but not the peaks they were this time last month.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Would not fancy being on an oil rig - is this the kind of thing that they evacuate the rigs for?

No! They get evacuated when I fart!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I've noticed the BBC have started using Belgium as a reference point - bl**dy EU! If it is not Wales then I have no idea how big something is.

I mean, Belgium? Is that the size of a snail or as big as the Milky Way.

Using Belgium makes some sense as it is metric.

For example, it is one milliBelge from my house to the post box. I am 1.37 microBelges tall.

Archived