• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Then they’d get some business school shill to write an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal and the telegraph about how this was inevitable – and how, really, you should be grateful.

Addition in bold.

Now and then they'll do a contrary view just to cover themselves.

Edited by billybong

HOLA447

Well, to be fair, they're masters of "clickbait", like the Daily Mail as well. That's ultimately the job of their online headlines. To get people to click. I don't think it would have had the same effect if his headline had been, "I'm Somewhat Narked At This Phones4U Thing".

But anyway, I'm surprised someone hasn't said to him, "OK... you first."

HOLA448

Without reading the article I could think of several reasons.

Huge mortgages, precarious jobs, onerous laws and punishments for doing so...

Need I go on?

brainwashing with jeremy kyle and nonsense telly?

..kept busy doing nothing and getting nowhere...busy,busy,busy...must be distracted from what's really happening.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Telegraph comes out at last. It was Fatch. We always knew it was her doing.

I disagree.

the loony left put so much stifling micromanagement and regulation in the way of doing anything productive people all feel like they are trapped on the hamster wheel going nowhere..but are scared to fall off.

it is a form of repression/bullying.

HOLA4413

I disagree.

the loony left put so much stifling micromanagement and regulation in the way of doing anything productive people all feel like they are trapped on the hamster wheel going nowhere..but are scared to fall off.

Yes it was all those sandle wearing hippies that stole all the money from phones4u.

ian-hippie.jpg

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I disagree.

I disagree.

It's both.

Just because Labour were loony and awful doesn't mean Fatch wasn't as well.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Some middle class kids did riot as I recall, during the protests about student loans.

I expect the middle classes read all about it the penalties imposed then, and after the London riots, in the Telegraph. That should have put them right off.

It seems if students dare protest, even to the benefit of staff, attempts are made to ruin their lives. Transpose that intimidation to the nation as as a whole and I'm not surprised by the inertia.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/university-of-birmingham-suspends-two-students-for-nine-months-after-protest-9621032.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-25234991

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

The article talks about the people laid off at Phones4U as the middle class that they should be up in arms.

I can't put Phones4U staff and middle class terms together. How much do they get paid to sell phones? Apple staff so I read are not far off minimum wage, even though they pull in £1000s of pounds for Apple each day.

Teachers, doctors, private equity bods are the middle class or upper middle class, or am I wrong?

Edited by 200p

HOLA4422

My wife met the 10 years younger version of herself at work the other day.

They had done the same degree at the same University and this person had just started working in the same lab that she started in.

However this person was 25 rather than 21 when they got into the job and had had to work their way up to what used to be an entry level position.

The salary nearly 14 years on from when my wife started was only about £1500 a year higher.

Most glaring difference is we were paying £695 a month to rent a 2 bedroom house in central-ish Cambridge (before buying a 3 bedder for under £140k) and they were paying £500 a month for a room in a house 5 miles from Cambridge with literally zero hope of buying.

The young are screwed. I told the Lib Dem canvasser who phoned me earlier that I could never vote for them with what they had signed young people up to with the university costs.

HOLA4423

The article talks about the people laid off at Phones4U as the middle class that they should be up in arms.

I can't put Phones4U staff and middle class terms together. How much do they get paid to sell phones? Apple staff so I read are not far off minimum wage, even though they pull in £1000s of pounds for Apple each day.

Teachers, doctors, private equity bods are the middle class or upper middle class, or am I wrong?

Middle class because they don't work in a factory...

Call centre workers, shop workers etc. are as working class as someone working in a factory or warehouse.

The middle classes are like you say those with "professions", doctors, accountants, engineers... If you need to Chartered or a member of a similar professional body to do your job you're somewhere in the middle class spectrum.

I once heard someone define the middle classes as those who didn't need to work all of the year to live fairly comfortably. I think that's more of a historic definition from the days before mass mortgages where the middle classes would be able to buy property and the working classes would have to rent.

HOLA4424

I think the violent reaction to some of this tightening of the screw by the 0.1% is actually what we are seeing with some young British Muslims going of to Syria/Iraq/ISIL. If there was more opportunity for them, I suspect less of this would happen.

In 200 years time, if Britain has a referendum to merge with ISIL the bankers might finally get some sort of punishment. And whilst some might relish that, I am quite sure many others will live and die to regret it.

HOLA4425

My wife met the 10 years younger version of herself at work the other day.

They had done the same degree at the same University and this person had just started working in the same lab that she started in.

However this person was 25 rather than 21 when they got into the job and had had to work their way up to what used to be an entry level position.

The salary nearly 14 years on from when my wife started was only about £1500 a year higher.

Most glaring difference is we were paying £695 a month to rent a 2 bedroom house in central-ish Cambridge (before buying a 3 bedder for under £140k) and they were paying £500 a month for a room in a house 5 miles from Cambridge with literally zero hope of buying.

The young are screwed. I told the Lib Dem canvasser who phoned me earlier that I could never vote for them with what they had signed young people up to with the university costs.

Yes the young are screwed. Your anecdotal succinctly highlights issues the young face.

Here in scotland there has been increased interest in politics and how the economy "works". Perhaps that will spread uk wide from the scottish referendum?

If there is any major rioting in the future I think it will come from the younger members of society as many of them will have nothing to lose having been saddled with debt, lack of social mobility, low pay in comparison to basic living costs regardless in the main of one's "class". Some will carve ok lives but many will not because the chances and opportunities just aren't there for the majority.

I think more of england's residents are becoming aware of why they pay tuition fees whereas scotland's residents don't.

Good retort to the liberal canvasser. I'll use that if one accosts me anytime, thanks.