Noisy Neighbours

ccc

HOLA441
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

I've found that Maria Callas will drill through 3ft walls easily. :)

The the loud twit with a car, the old solution used to be a potatoe in the exhaust. The modern solution is the expanding foam used in wall insulation. quick squirt, ******s the exhaust completely. of course, I could not possible recommend you do this.

re noisy neighbours - yes, move. The only time I had any luck stopping noise was when a rental near me had a history, I got the landlords home and mobile numbers off a.......certain route, and then called him every time it started again. 2 am, 3am. They got evicted.

HOLA444

Sympathies.

We have some arsetwatmonkeybatsrda with a noisy car at the moment. I assume he's up to no good in it the number of times he goes out in it.

Someone reckons they've "had it out with him" but tbh he's a complete plank too.

Don't know what to do. Don't want to go and tell him his *****ermobile is annoying me cos he's a shouty twit.

You don't know what a noisy car is! I will start one up tomorrow!

HOLA445

One of them is loud a lot. Can be morning noon or night. No pattern. Its usually just at the quite annoying level - but this can go on for 5-6 hours sometime. The council don't seem to care for the fact that quite annoying noise gets worse the longer it lasts.

As for invitations - once to theirs at new years - little note warning of noise and everything - which I found rather strange. Had been rather quiet for a few months before that too. I think they may have had the police around or something. But them its now just getting back to the usual.

As for the others - not very often - but when it is - the level is beyond ridiculous - I feel like I am in a tent in Glastonbury or something. Honest.

I did think before as its only occasionsly then not such a big deal - however I have changed my mind. Excessive out of order noise us just that - whether every month or every day - it shouldn't happen.

As for what to do ? I had a brainwave earlier. Nothing like I had planned or anyone else had planned - I have a very cunning plan ;)

HOLA446

Landlord is a good idea - I actually did a bit if digging and worked out who they are - will get their number and try from there.

PS its a private landlord not a big place which is good.

HOLA447

The the loud twit with a car, the old solution used to be a potatoe in the exhaust. The modern solution is the expanding foam used in wall insulation. quick squirt, ******s the exhaust completely. of course, I could not possible recommend you do this.

re noisy neighbours - yes, move. The only time I had any luck stopping noise was when a rental near me had a history, I got the landlords home and mobile numbers off a.......certain route, and then called him every time it started again. 2 am, 3am. They got evicted.

Ye I have been told about the right way to foam it.

There are not potatoes big enough.

HOLA448

I had neighbours from hell once, they arrived after I did and left after a few months but it seemed like much longer when they were there of course.

One night there was a party which ended up in a full on rammy. When you can here glass smashing and bodies hitting the furniture through the floor you know it's pretty full on. As it spilled onto the stairs I opened my door to see a young woman lying semiconscious on the stairs, although apparently without obvious injury. She was complaining about her head ringing so either she got slugged or fell down the stair while trashed.

Sadest thing was there was a newborn baby in the flat too.

Good idea on the note around the neighbours ccc, making it easy for people is the best idea imo.

HOLA449

Ye I have been told about the right way to foam it.

There are not potatoes big enough.

I don't see what you can do about a noisy car Sarah, I knew somebody with a V8 that could be heard miles away, but he wasn't trying to annoy anyone and was really skinny and quiet.

He'd have been terrified and shocked if an angry trowel-wielding lady confronted him about it.

HOLA4410

At a poorly soundproofed flat I rented in London years ago, my bf threatened to throw a guy's stereo out of the window when he played it at full belt at 0300 one time too many. A cheer went up in the block when he turned it down. We never heard his music again, day or night.

HOLA4411

I don't see what you can do about a noisy car Sarah, I knew somebody with a V8 that could be heard miles away, but he wasn't trying to annoy anyone and was really skinny and quiet.

He'd have been terrified and shocked if an angry trowel-wielding lady confronted him about it.

Are there not standards of sound limits required for MOT?

HOLA4412

Finally had enough tonight and called 101 to complain. Got put through to Local services and left a note. Got call back from the local environment officer asking for details. I explained I had lived here for a fair while - but enough was enough.

Tonight BOTH my neighbours decided to have an Ibiza sounding party. On one side from 5pm till about 3am getting progressively louder - on the other side from about 4am - and still going on - but dying down. Of course as soon as the officers arrive - there will barely be a peep - but I have started it now - so I am just going to call up every time - ****** it - I cause them no hassle so they should return the favour.

Interestingly enough nobody else had complained - which I was quite staggered by - the bloke says this us very common and really surprises him.

Its a bit of a strange paradox I think - the British politeness in terms of being respectful to those around you appears to have dissapeared for many - whilst our politeness in not complaining is still going strong. It took me over a year after all - and I am not exactly shy.

An annoying thing is how poor a mobile phone picks it up - I recorded it for evidence - but you can barely hear it :(

I had all thoughts of nasty revenge last night - it doesn't surprise me that murders occur due to things like this - I can totally see how someone could just lose the plot. Its understandable.

However I plan to just move in the next few months - and then on regular occasions do something to really annoy both these flats as much as possible :)

Nothing illegal or threatening at all - just incredibly annoying. And knowing the area I live in - its the sort of annoyance that could be put down to local youths behaviour :)

Anyway - I am going to rise above it and forget any ideas of buying some big speakers to get it back at them - far too obvious and likely to cause serious confrontation. I will stick to a post leaving plan of gradual annoyance to slowly really piss them off and make them understand what its like to be kept up at night by other people being selfish and ignorant.

Anyone else got stories like this ?

Knowing you, did you not take this as a reason to go and fck the ugliest women in room 1a and 1c? Can't see the problem.

HOLA4413

Are there not standards of sound limits required for MOT?

Per Pistonheads:

Legislation on exhaust noise was discussed at length earlier this week, here:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=495536&i=0

Basically there is no legislation in the UK that sets a max noise limit for production cars. There is for motorbikes, and for kit cars and specials, but not for production cars.

It is an offence under C&U (I think it is) to modify the exhaust so that it is noisier than "standard". It is not an offence for the exhaust to be noisy if that is how the car was made.

My son tells me that the police around here are testing cars against a "standard database" (whose database? Don't know.) but still allowing a fair bit of latitude from the "standard" figure - so it's only the very noisiest that are at risk of serious bother.

Which sounds like a "no" if it's a noisy car out of the factory.

The guy I knew had a (purchased) kit car so I have no idea what counts as standard for that.

HOLA4414

Landlord is a good idea - I actually did a bit if digging and worked out who they are - will get their number and try from there.

PS its a private landlord not a big place which is good.

And make sure all your neighbours get the number if they want it, that way he will be bombarded with complaints, and might just throw them out to get peace. Must say, the last neighbour I had who did this was dealt with pretty quickly by most of the block ganging up on her, the council hammering the door and canvasing the whole block with complaint forms, and eventually the landlord hoofing her out. Edinburgh council seem a lot more proactive about this sort of thing than they used to be IMO.

Where are you in relation to them, above, below, to the side? There are various ways to give them some back, probably not recommended if they are nutters though.

HOLA4415

At a poorly soundproofed flat I rented in London years ago, my bf threatened to throw a guy's stereo out of the window when he played it at full belt at 0300 one time too many. A cheer went up in the block when he turned it down. We never heard his music again, day or night.

I hope you complained about all the cheering.

HOLA4416

Per Pistonheads:

Which sounds like a "no" if it's a noisy car out of the factory.

The guy I knew had a (purchased) kit car so I have no idea what counts as standard for that.

My Uncle had a Humber Super Sphincter! The last 6 inches of the exhaust was a flattened rubber tube, and the farting could be heard the full length of the Kingston Bypass at 3am!

HOLA4417

My sympathies CCC. Noisy neighbours are one of the worst things that can happen to you. Really messes up your life. Lack of sleep, constantly worrying if tonight will be another party night, the slightest noise can wake you from your sleep as you are subconsciously listening for it to start etc.

I think you are on the right lines with leafleting your other neighbours. Unless you are as hard as nails and a bit of a nutter yourself then confrontation and revenge tactics is a bad idea.

I had a problem a couple of years back that I posted on here with kids playing football right outside my living room window. The ball was hitting off the window regularly. The kids wouldn't take a telling to move away from the window, even after me asking nicely. I ended up getting the council to plant some trees on the grass outside the window and not one more game of football was played there again.

Although not really comparable to your problem maybe you should think of ways to passively combat the problem without making yourself a target. I can't really offer any advice though but good luck!

HOLA4418

That sounds like my little brother!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Maybe the key is to somehow get the noisemakers to annoy the nutters.

Alternatively get invited to the party and use legendary CCC beer drinking capacity to drink the place dry.

This could be a plan. Currently on it in Spain - two days and counting.

The hotel had to re stock their vending machine with beer this morning as I finished it off.

I shouldn't be proud of that pathetic act - but I am :)

HOLA4421

Sympathies from me also to all who have had issues – have had to move twice myself for the same reasons. Strangely enough this is from town house/end terrace though, when I lived in a flat I never had any issues (might hear a bit of noise from the one above, but never at annoying hours. I guess it helped that it was an old Victorian house conversion with 500 foot thick walls). The only good thing I got from one of the noise blockheads was the song What Hurts the Most by Cascada (I then went on to find the Rascal Flatts version – superb version and superb name!)

In terms of speaking to them, wouldn’t bother, they’re like the terminator in that they can’t be reasoned with as they already more than likely think they are being reasonable!

Just as an aside ccc (or any others) – are you a model citizen in terms of parties/noise?

HOLA4422

How often are they having loud late night and all night parties?

Did they give warning or did you get an invite?

If a one off occurrence, maybe it was better they both had the party at the same time, hopefully you will now get many months of quiet restfull sleep....

Talk to them about it later when all over, sounds like they need to think about others rather than just themselves and their own selfish enjoyment...put them in the picture diplomatically...two wrongs don't make a right. ;)

Once is once too often unless everyone in earshot is at the party anyway. Such disregard for other people is completely unacceptable. At least the "you're selfish for not wanting other people to have their fun every now and then" ******** hasn't appeared yet.

HOLA4423

Sympathies from me also to all who have had issues have had to move twice myself for the same reasons. Strangely enough this is from town house/end terrace though, when I lived in a flat I never had any issues (might hear a bit of noise from the one above, but never at annoying hours. I guess it helped that it was an old Victorian house conversion with 500 foot thick walls). The only good thing I got from one of the noise blockheads was the song What Hurts the Most by Cascada (I then went on to find the Rascal Flatts version superb version and superb name!)

In terms of speaking to them, wouldnt bother, theyre like the terminator in that they cant be reasoned with as they already more than likely think they are being reasonable!

Just as an aside ccc (or any others) are you a model citizen in terms of parties/noise?

99% of the time I doubt they even know I am there.

Even in the morning I was watching TV and turned it down coz it may have been loud - it was 10 out of 100 on the remote.

I just try to be decent but Karma isn't working here :(

HOLA4424

99% of the time I doubt they even know I am there.

Even in the morning I was watching TV and turned it down coz it may have been loud - it was 10 out of 100 on the remote.

I just try to be decent but Karma isn't working here :(

I'm a bit like that, it even extends to the car radio if I have the car window open when I am driving. Just don't like to think I am imposing my noise on somebody else.

HOLA4425

Finally had enough tonight and called 101 to complain. Got put through to Local services and left a note. Got call back from the local environment officer asking for details. I explained I had lived here for a fair while - but enough was enough.

Tonight BOTH my neighbours decided to have an Ibiza sounding party. On one side from 5pm till about 3am getting progressively louder - on the other side from about 4am - and still going on - but dying down. Of course as soon as the officers arrive - there will barely be a peep - but I have started it now - so I am just going to call up every time - ****** it - I cause them no hassle so they should return the favour.

Interestingly enough nobody else had complained - which I was quite staggered by - the bloke says this us very common and really surprises him.

Its a bit of a strange paradox I think - the British politeness in terms of being respectful to those around you appears to have dissapeared for many - whilst our politeness in not complaining is still going strong. It took me over a year after all - and I am not exactly shy.

An annoying thing is how poor a mobile phone picks it up - I recorded it for evidence - but you can barely hear it :(

I had all thoughts of nasty revenge last night - it doesn't surprise me that murders occur due to things like this - I can totally see how someone could just lose the plot. Its understandable.

However I plan to just move in the next few months - and then on regular occasions do something to really annoy both these flats as much as possible :)

Nothing illegal or threatening at all - just incredibly annoying. And knowing the area I live in - its the sort of annoyance that could be put down to local youths behaviour :)

Anyway - I am going to rise above it and forget any ideas of buying some big speakers to get it back at them - far too obvious and likely to cause serious confrontation. I will stick to a post leaving plan of gradual annoyance to slowly really piss them off and make them understand what its like to be kept up at night by other people being selfish and ignorant.

Anyone else got stories like this ?

Good for you. I'm having cockerel issues at the moment.

Shes been asked twice to get rid, one more, and then i'm going to the council.

The feathered ******er is ruining my sleep.

I'm in the middle of a country town. So she's out of order. He's 15 yards from my bedroom going apeshit at 2.30 am and 5.30 am. Complete lack of respect. Quite amazing how some people think that is ok.

Archived