Scottish Independence Vote

Patfig

HOLA441
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The SNP just had a 5 minute party election broadcast on BBC Scotland.This was for the upcoming European elections. However 100% of it was about the referendum.

That's pretty sneaky IMO - and certainly doesn't give a good impression. Especially from a party that never stops talking about how every other party is not to be trusted.. . .

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I was thinking earlier that bar any other consideration, under Game Theory I would have said the best option is clearly to vote Yes to Independence. It is effectively a no lose option. If it works better than being in the Union then all well and good, but if people feel it's not working, the way the No campaign has been fought, it seems that it will be a shoe in to come back as part of the Union.

There's the idiocy of the argument put forward by the no campaign. On the one hand we are 'better together', and have much more influence globally, as a union of countries. However, if you choose independence, it would be final, no going back, a done deal.

Anyone who left school with a minimum of a single O grade in art should be able to realise that these two statements do not form a circle!

HOLA447

I was thinking earlier that bar any other consideration, under Game Theory I would have said the best option is clearly to vote Yes to Independence. It is effectively a no lose option. If it works better than being in the Union then all well and good, but if people feel it's not working, the way the No campaign has been fought, it seems that it will be a shoe in to come back as part of the Union.

Why ?

Maybe then the whole union will have to vote. And maybe they will vote no. Or maybe they would say, yes you can come back if you're desperate. On our terms.

Anyway, can you really see the politicians letting go once they've got their grubby hands in the trough ?

Edit : On a pure game theory perspective they should never have pushed for full independence in the first place, but used their place within the Union to continue to drive beneficial terms.

Edited by Gigantic Purple Slug

HOLA448

There's the idiocy of the argument put forward by the no campaign. On the one hand we are 'better together', and have much more influence globally, as a union of countries. However, if you choose independence, it would be final, no going back, a done deal.

Anyone who left school with a minimum of a single O grade in art should be able to realise that these two statements do not form a circle!

Actually, given that it's roughly a 90/10 split, it's Scotland that disproportionately loses out (at least if you believe that we have any influence to start with).

And unless you believe that there will be no divergence - economic, legally, politically, whatever - after independence, then a re-Union would become progressively harder.

HOLA449

Well UK stands for United Kingdom. The 'united' bit means under one parliament, because 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland' didn't come into being until the Act of Union between Scotland and England in 1707. Prior to that they had separate parliaments and so were only a union of crowns, which was why it was called Great Britain, which was a made up name harking back to classical times.

So if Scotland breaks away completely in a political sense, the remainder can't be called the United Kingdom unless you consider Northern Ireland to be classed as a kingdom - I'm not sure if it is, although it used to be I think. Wales is a principality.

So in theory it could be called 'The United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland' which would probably be the easiest solution.

But nobody seems to have a clue about any of this, which suggests nobody's doing much actual planning for what will happen after a yes vote...

How about "The United Kingdom of Southern Britain and Northern Ireland"?

HOLA4410

Actually, given that it's roughly a 90/10 split, it's Scotland that disproportionately loses out (at least if you believe that we have any influence to start with).

And unless you believe that there will be no divergence - economic, legally, politically, whatever - after independence, then a re-Union would become progressively harder.

We haven't influenced an election in over half a century, if you mean that the sum total of Scottish MP's tipped the balance of power in Westminster. The Scottish Office is a joke, witness the Sec. of State for Scotland actively promoting the moving of ship-building jobs from Scotland. We have NO influence.

When it comes to economic divergance, I don't think there will be much difference between the two economies. I think Scotland will grow economically, but that the extra wealth will be re-distributed to the economically active.... higher benefits in other words. funnily enough, I have less of a problem with this than I do with redistributing the wealth up the way.... can't think why.

We already have a divergant legal system, it causes so few problems that haven't noticed ;)

Politically? Well, it's true to say we like our politicians to be left-leaning, and I can't see that changing. Who knows, Scottish labour might shame the UK labour party into re-discovering it's roots! If there's one thing for sure, if there's a pound in it for them, politicians (of all shades!) will find a way.

When I was considering this, the biggest issue I thought would be EU membership. But when you consider the length of time it took the GDR to be welcomed in, it wouldn't be.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I can't stand the ' We never get who we vote for argument' - its nonsense - the majority of people in this country do not !!

And never mind that - labour have been number one in Scotland for decades - and unless I am mistaken - they were in power for a full 13 years.

HOLA4418

The bits I hear on the radio give the impression the referendum will yield a No vote, but that the No campaign is getting uncomfortable.

I wonder if the prospect of Tories/UKIP in 2015 after the euro elections might swing it to Yes. Possible? I guess the Yes campaign has reserved its heat for the last couple of months of the campaign.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

The last 3 Prime Ministers have been Scots.

Cameron, Brown, Blair

I'm hoping for Ronnie Corbet next!

HOLA4420

Jon Snow on independence vote.

This anti-Westminster feeling will continue rolling towards the gates of the M25 to my mind. Just a continuation of the long collapse of the British Empire and as London turns itself into a latter day, degenerate Byzantium.

http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/visceral-hatred-westminister-politics/23805

I hadn't realised how much I want the Scots to vote Yes until I read that piece.

Come on Scotland! Please make sure you make the new country worth living in(ie not a banksters plutocracy), you'll help everybody in the UK in the long run if you do.

HOLA4421

Jon Snow on independence vote.

This anti-Westminster feeling will continue rolling towards the gates of the M25 to my mind. Just a continuation of the long collapse of the British Empire and as London turns itself into a latter day, degenerate Byzantium.

http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/visceral-hatred-westminister-politics/23805

Quite surprising from Mr Snow. I did see this presentation on CH4, and he seemed to be pulling on every heartstring he could find to promote the UK.

http://blogs.channel4.com/snowblog/farthest-british-isles-scotland-vote/23767

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4425

I guess the SNP wished the 700th anniversary of Robert the Bruce's victory was even closer to the election date.

I'm even seeing surbliminal messages in the alarm clock come ballot box suggesting an SNP vote.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/bannock-bairn-proud-scots-delight-son-3787217

Edited by crashmonitor