Patfig

HOLA441
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

So when you vote yes, will you keep on having referenda to see if you want to rejoin again?

I guess that would require two things. The meteoric rise of an UK Nationalist Party in Scotland, campaigning on a pledge to deliver a referendum on re-integration, and the rUK agreeing to have us back.

I find both of these events extremely unlikely, but as they say, "never say never".

One has to bear in mind that labour thought devolution would kill nationalism stone dead, and that Holyrood was implemented in such a way that the SNP would 'never' form a majority. Never say never!

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I guess that would require two things. The meteoric rise of an UK Nationalist Party in Scotland, campaigning on a pledge to deliver a referendum on re-integration, and the rUK agreeing to have us back.

I find both of these events extremely unlikely, but as they say, "never say never".

One has to bear in mind that labour thought devolution would kill nationalism stone dead, and that Holyrood was implemented in such a way that the SNP would 'never' form a majority. Never say never!

And if that happens and they vote yes to join again, can they vote to leave again?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

If the rUK were daft enough to let us in again, who knows?

It wouldn't be the UK without Scotland! It would just be England, with a dash of Wales!

HOLA4411

Does Scottish independence mean that Scotland will become a republic or will the winsors still be hereditary heads of state of Scotland?

it means they'll exhume mary queen of scots and clone her.

given the desperation to get rid of the hanoverians on that side of the fence they'll resort to all sorts of underhand tactics.

hey, they tried it with rangers by demoting them to the bottom league...can't wait for 2015-16 season when they're back...it's gonna be a real grudge match.(makes english premiership look sooooo boring by comparison!)

the hoops better get ready for a proper hiding!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

it means they'll exhume mary queen of scots and clone her.

given the desperation to get rid of the hanoverians on that side of the fence they'll resort to all sorts of underhand tactics.

hey, they tried it with rangers by demoting them to the bottom league...can't wait for 2015-16 season when they're back...it's gonna be a real grudge match.(makes english premiership look sooooo boring by comparison!)

the hoops better get ready for a proper hiding!

Your joking aren't you? Did you see that last Dundee United goal on Saturday? Rangers looked like a Sunday league side. I would remind you that Albion Rovers (!) took them to a replay in the Scottish cup.... They've been playing part-timers for too long, cruising without much effort. It's by no means certain that they'll be in the premiership in 2015-16 on this years performance.

That's ignoring their financial woes of course! 15-25% hikes in season ticket prices, a £1.5m loan at the end of this season? Looking dodgy!

Oh, and we'll not be exhuming Mary Queen of Scots, we're looking forward, not back.

HOLA4414

Oh, and we'll not be exhuming Mary Queen of Scots, we're looking forward, not back.

Bah, independence is all about looking back. Can't really say I blame anyone for that, looking forward isn't a pleasant direction to look in, independent or not. I just wish Scotland would spend more time looking back at its impressive bits of history, all the scientific and engineering achievements that took place there, rather than just the bits involving people sticking swords into each other.

HOLA4415

Does Scottish independence mean that Scotland will become a republic or will the winsors still be hereditary heads of state of Scotland?

As I understand it, the Union of the Crowns will still exist, which dates back to the accession of James VI of Scotland and I of England in 1603. (Effectively a Scottish takeover of England, although the nationalist victim types seem to forget that part of their history...)

So HM the Queen will still be Queen of Scotland, though I would imagine the next item on the agenda if Scotland becomes independent will be a republican referendum.

What I find strange is that nobody knows what the rest of the country will be called. I wrote to the Scots parliament about it (for reasons connected with planning at work) and was passed around various people. Eventually they wrote back and basically said 'we'll be called Scotland and the rest can do what they want'; which suggests they can't have been doing any kind of planning on their own diplomatic relations in the future.

Technically they should be called 'The Kingdom of Scotland' anyway, but I suppose that doesn't sound modern and EU friendly enough...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

What I find strange is that nobody knows what the rest of the country will be called. I wrote to the Scots parliament about it (for reasons connected with planning at work) and was passed around various people. Eventually they wrote back and basically said 'we'll be called Scotland and the rest can do what they want'; which suggests they can't have been doing any kind of planning on their own diplomatic relations in the future.

Not sure why you would have asked anyone in Holyrood what the rUK will be called, why didn't you ask anyone in Westminster? Surely that's where that decision will be made?

HOLA4418

Not sure why you would have asked anyone in Holyrood what the rUK will be called, why didn't you ask anyone in Westminster? Surely that's where that decision will be made?

Fair enough, but this was part of a query to do with legal stuff on the Scottish/English borders, so it seemed a bit odd they didn't know anything.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

And a splash of Irish :ph34r:

The UK will survive our secession, without a doubt, and so will Scotland.

A brave new world!

Shamefully, I forgot about that other bit of the UK over the sea, as I probably left out Guernsey, and Orkney too! :blink:

HOLA4421

Shamefully, I forgot about that other bit of the UK over the sea, as I probably left out Guernsey, and Orkney too! :blink:

Guernsey is not part of the UK. Mr Pin you have let the side down!

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Read this today, and thought of you ;)

Challenging the establishment?

Sadly naive I fear, but some great lines:

The Marie Antoinette Media is meanwhile clueless, has no idea what is going on outside the window. “Let them eat this shit” they say while covering their front pages with mad lords and well-trained think tanks spewing out apocalypses no-one believes.

HOLA4425

Read this today, and thought of you ;)

Challenging the establishment?

Not bad.

You're going to have to fight, and make sure that everyone voting for "team Scotland" knows it.

If it becomes obvious that a serious attempt is going to be made to create a proper democracy, the global forces of rentierism and banking will be brought against you. They don't want democracies to exist, it would set a "bad" example to the people who live in the pseudo-democracies.

I was thinking about it, in order to avoid being controlled by the banks, the new country must dump the share of the UK debt and accept the global opprobrium that goes with it especially from south of the border, it would be best to do this with a goodwill promise to assist the UK with the issue after the new country's finances have stabilised, or perhaps a giveaway lease of Faslane and the others for the next 200 years. Accept being poor and borrow the absolute minimum for a few years, establish the constitution and show the world the new Scotland works. Get the banks out of the equation. Minimum welfare approach - bonus being that all the neds will move south.

If there is significant debt to finance, well, anything really, the banks will have control because they can dictate policy - if policy is not to their liking they can declare the new country as being politically unstable/not established etc etc and force the interest rates paid on debt up. So spending would have to be cut to the bone in the early years. Would the Scots accept this? Are the SNP capable of it? It's nothing like what's being promised AFAICS.

To misquote one of my fantasy women when I was a lad, the then-gorgeous and slightly scary Debbie Allen :

You want freedom? Well freedom costs, and right here's where you start paying..... :P

Edited by swissy_fit