House Price Crash Forum

Quitting Sugar

clarioniq

HOLA441

[snip]

One reason I think there is a big relationship (other than the sugars in beer which we know about) is that somebody I know who was a heavy beer drinker packed it in entirely after a medical condition (?2 years ago) and since then has developed a very sweet tooth which he didn't have before; now it's sweets and cakes with lots of icing on them at every opportunity.

Absolutely this. I stopped drinking for good a little over a year ago and exactly the same thing happened to me - from never eating chocolate to going through a couple of Kit Kats a day at least. My new years resolution is to stop this, but tbh I am finding it a bit of a struggle. Harder than quitting the booze surprisingly...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

You mean your eyesight gets noticibly worse when you pig out on chocolates?! How long does the effect last? I know some hardcore paleo types wouldn't eat as much fruit as I do (1 apple, 1 orange, 1 banana daily) but I'm hoping the benefits outweigh the risks.

I'm a bit of a health freak when it comes to food; never buy chocoltes or soft drinks.... but my parents buy me piles and piles of chocolate for Christmas for some reason. I'm talking a disgusting amount of chocolate.

If for instance I have sugary stuff in evening around 8pm my eyesight doesn't get back to normal till around 12 noon the next day. It's not a totally drastic effect but it's enough to make me feel really irritable as I can't read properly (I'm shortsighted and wear glasses or contacts)

I don't buy sweet stuff either but my son has had loads of chocolate and biscuits bought for him over Christmas and with them just lying around well, it's hard to resist having a little bit, generally not bothered though.

HOLA444

Get all processed foods out if the house and don't buy any more. Have a banana instead or get a smoothie maker and start knocking up smoothies.

When I started making smoothies last year to combat severe heartburn I couldn't believe how my energy levels surged. You have to stick with it for a couple of weeks to feel the difference, but it's worth it. I felt like a new person.

HOLA445

When I started making smoothies last year to combat severe heartburn I couldn't believe how my energy levels surged. You have to stick with it for a couple of weeks to feel the difference, but it's worth it. I felt like a new person.

What were/are you putting in your smoothies?

HOLA446

I like the odd binge, but no problems with sugar. Generally only take it through fruit and carb conversion.

But I've been taking a teaspoon of honey at night (wholefood glucose + fructose) and find sleep quality improves so much it doesn't matter if I get less than 8 hours, still feel rested. The theory: blood glucose is topped up for immediate burning + liver glycogen is replenished and available for conversion to glucose, so the brain doesn't send emergency signals via cortisol production after 3 hours sleep. Seems to work.

HOLA447
HOLA448

What were/are you putting in your smoothies?

At the time I was making mostly vegetable smoothies. Things like carrots, broccoli, beetroot, lettuce etc etc. The only downside was they didn't taste great.

Currently I'm making tastier smoothies with mango, apple, pears, grapes, banana and avocado. I had to watch a youtube video to learn how to make smoothies that blend well and don't separate.

Avocado is an efficient appetite suppressant btw. I learnt that recently. I'm sure you know that broccoli and beetroot are considered "super foods".

HOLA449

At the time I was making mostly vegetable smoothies. Things like carrots, broccoli, beetroot, lettuce etc etc. The only downside was they didn't taste great.

Currently I'm making tastier smoothies with mango, apple, pears, grapes, banana and avocado. I had to watch a youtube video to learn how to make smoothies that blend well and don't separate.

Avocado is an efficient appetite suppressant btw. I learnt that recently. I'm sure you know that broccoli and beetroot are considered "super foods".

I have recently started drinking beetroot juice and I love it. Everyone else hates it so I get to have it to myself.

I feel really good on it too.

HOLA4410

A timely story:

article-2536913-1A88252000000578-837_634x447.jpg

article-2536913-1A88252000000578-206_634x331.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2536913/Mother-switched-boys-healthier-diet-MORE-sugar.html

Daily Mail link and images copyright IRRO productions MMXIV.

I'd be hard pushed to pick the 'healthiest' of those without the headings. Honey on a bagel, Heinz tomato soup and Alpen bars? I note no differentiation between sucrose and other sugars (which might make 'a teaspoon' a bit of a difficult standard.

Plus, why not just cut the obvious stuff from the old diet, sweet tea was listed. The wail has managed to find the one person who was savvy enough to want to reduce sugar content but having completely altered the menu, found out only retrospectively it was worse...

HOLA4411

Sugar white poison

Coincidentally I was just watching

on Youtube.

Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology, explores the damage caused by sugary foods. He argues that fructose (too much) and fiber (not enough) appear to be cornerstones of the obesity epidemic through their effects on insulin. Series: UCSF Mini Medical School for the Public [7/2009] [Health and Medicine] [show ID: 16717]

Be warned it's an hour and a half long, more than a grain (get the pun) of truth I'd warrant

HOLA4412

Well I never thouhgt this was a man issue.

As my old father-in-law used to say: "you never see two fat blokes eating cream cakes".

Without appearing to be sexist, you quite often see two fat blokes necking a gallon of beer. :blink:

HOLA4413

Avocados have also been shown to increase the absorbtion of cartenoids (found in carrots and salad-type stuff) by 2 to 4 times as much, so it might be worth trying to make an 'avocado salad smoothie' every day...

Source:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

One cup of fresh avocado (150 grams) added to a salad of romaine lettuce, spinach, and carrots increased absorption of carotenoids from this salad between 200-400%

HOLA4414

It was tongue in cheek Frank mainly as we have just been told that sugar is the new tobacco, mind you its a bugger to roll and light.

Sugar white poison

You can catalyse the burning of sugar, with cigarette ash! There is my chemistry lesson of the day. See me after assembly! :blink:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=MKzL3WQoRh0C&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=lighting+sugar+with+cigarette+ash&source=bl&ots=wECPUIRquD&sig=--FKt-sRcvVzTQmvdhZXmO6vDGU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ayHRUp7XG6Wf7AaItIGYCg&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=lighting%20sugar%20with%20cigarette%20ash&f=false

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

HOLA4418

Does juicing give more benefits than eating? Or just easier to consume the necessary quantity?

Are those plastic packed beetroot or pickled anywhere near as good as fresh?

I didn't fancy eating 4 or 5 large beetroot every day, so a large glass of the juice seemed better.

However as mentioned, you get sick of it, there's something odd about the taste and texture which gets more offensive over time.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I didn't fancy eating 4 or 5 large beetroot every day, so a large glass of the juice seemed better.

However as mentioned, you get sick of it, there's something odd about the taste and texture which gets more offensive over time.

BLOO LOO THEORY

I take potassium occasionally...when I am feeling that I need it, the drink tastes lovely...a couple of hours later, I can take a second glass, but it doesnt taste to sweet.. try a third glass later in the day and its positively discusting.

The theory....the body knows what it needs and if you are taking too much....it tells you so...by making the taste undesirable.

HOLA4421

I have recently started drinking beetroot juice and I love it. Everyone else hates it so I get to have it to myself.

I feel really good on it too.

You mean you just like going for a wee in public toilets, failing to flush it and hearing the gasp of horror from the next in line, don't you?

HOLA4422

BLOO LOO THEORY

I take potassium occasionally...when I am feeling that I need it, the drink tastes lovely...a couple of hours later, I can take a second glass, but it doesnt taste to sweet.. try a third glass later in the day and its positively discusting.

The theory....the body knows what it needs and if you are taking too much....it tells you so...by making the taste undesirable.

Discliamer: Does not apply to beer, wine, cider, wine, spirits etc.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Absolutely this. I stopped drinking for good a little over a year ago and exactly the same thing happened to me - from never eating chocolate to going through a couple of Kit Kats a day at least. My new years resolution is to stop this, but tbh I am finding it a bit of a struggle. Harder than quitting the booze surprisingly...

Same here ......... Dropped the booze and fruit juices , now weaning myself off powdered skimmed milk and sweeteners in hot drinks . But cutting the carbs ( the whites) and sugars is much harder.....And they are sneaky......

HOLA4425

yes it does....depends on your tolerance, high tolerance means you have already over done what is good for you. ;)

Indeed I never get a headache these days after a session on red wine. No doubt my heart and cholesterol are much healthier these days, but I'm guessing my liver isn't.

Archived