House Price Crash Forum

Home Owners May Lose Equity In Return For Benefits

HOLA441

As per title really. Behind a ST paywall so couldn't read full article.

http://www.thetimes....etto-tw-ios-1.6

Unemployed homeowners will have to give a stake of the equity in their home to the State in return for help in paying their mortgage, under a plan favoured by ministers.
Edited by aSecureTenant

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Well, this is not really any different from those that are not homeowners but have savings having to use up said savings before they can access benefits. At the moment, you can own a £1 million pound house but still be entitled to benefits. So someone with £20k in savings has to use it up before they can access the benefits system but a lord with a million pound house is entitled straight away.

not that having a million pound mortgage is going to get paid much...4/5ths will go unpaid.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I posted this elsewhere a few weeks ago.

I am reliably informed of a retired couple who recently and allegedly sold their house for 300K, stuck it in investments off-shore, moved into rented and then applied for a housing association flat. They got one - amazed me how they got one so quick - in a very nice area within a few months of selling.

HOLA4411

Why the hell is the state paying anything towards peoples mortgage?

Insanity.

Because of the hassle of housing homeless people, there simply isn't the stock. Plus it doesn't look good in the press people being made homeless by govt inaction. Although does it make more sense to pay "rent" and not the mortgage?

However this could cause houses to correct as people won't want a wealth store that can be tax by the state in this manner. Although no surprise that the govt is going after hard assets that they can leverage up. If the IMF come calling will they demand payment for all of these stakes held?

HOLA4412

I can see where this is going. It won't just be SMI interest paid it'll be the full repayment mortgage paid ie the taxpayer pays the capital off too.

it'll be because people have to get their lender to switch them to interest only when they are unemployed and all the forbearance hassles.

it will be used to sell it to the taxpayer that's their money will be used to pay off people's capital but as a sop the state will take a stake in the equity.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Saying that, this anomaly as it stands v cash holders is a disgrace.

Yup. How awful housing might be treated like any other damn asset and tenants no longer be discriminated against.

Either have everything tax free or nothing. Mad that you can have a house in 3 acres and it be tax free (and worth considerably more) than a house and 3 acres 500 yards down the road and the 3 acres be treated as an 'investment' (but worth considerably less than the former scenario)

Would be difficult to administer though. The banks are incompetent. The government are incompetent. I see lots of practical implementation problems.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Ah, can't read article.

Taking a stake in return for paying the mortgage is better than just paying the mortgage. But is this part of an expansion of SMI, and just a further prop to the banks/house prices?

I see the words "indefinite help" before the articles fades out.

Edited by opt_out

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

I can see where this is going. It won't just be SMI interest paid it'll be the full repayment mortgage paid ie the taxpayer pays the capital off too.

it'll be because people have to get their lender to switch them to interest only when they are unemployed and all the forbearance hassles.

it will be used to sell it to the taxpayer that's their money will be used to pay off people's capital but as a sop the state will take a stake in the equity.

I can sort of see where this is going too, but a guess it won't apply to elderly / retired who cannot be forced to downsize from massive homes.

HOLA4419

Because of the hassle of housing homeless people, there simply isn't the stock. Plus it doesn't look good in the press people being made homeless by govt inaction. Although does it make more sense to pay "rent" and not the mortgage?

However this could cause houses to correct as people won't want a wealth store that can be tax by the state in this manner. Although no surprise that the govt is going after hard assets that they can leverage up. If the IMF come calling will they demand payment for all of these stakes held?

But the mortgage is the "product" the banks are selling. So the state paying peoples mortgage, is the state buying the banks "product". i.e another bank bailout.

... and to think, politicians then go around saying "the banks are a great wealth creator for the country" Not surprised, the politicians are bankrupting the country to keep the banks "profitable".

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I'm pretty sure only your main residence is exempt from the assets means testing and hence BTLs would be classed as an investment.

You may be right but Stella English was able to claim. Also there was someone on my Facebook feed the other week bemoaning being out of work for a year "but off down to Brighton where I have two lovely tenants for my flats."

HOLA4422

I posted this elsewhere a few weeks ago.

I am reliably informed of a retired couple who recently and allegedly sold their house for 300K, stuck it in investments off-shore, moved into rented and then applied for a housing association flat. They got one - amazed me how they got one so quick - in a very nice area within a few months of selling.

errr.. that's fraud mate. simple as. If the council had any half decent financial investigators, it would be an easy win.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Am I the only one who couldn't concentrate on the topic at all, because the subject like contained a glaring selling mistake .... and no-one mentioned it? It's LOSE (not loose) ... and I have noticed that more and more people seem unable to tell the difference.

I am fully aware that I am being very pedantic, but why is this such a problem all of a sudden? And why do we just seem to accept it? (Nb My son makes this error too and he's v well educated. Argh!)

OK, I will read what you wrote now ... nice & calmly. :D

HOLA4425

Am I the only one who couldn't concentrate on the topic at all, because the subject like contained a glaring selling mistake .... and no-one mentioned it? It's LOSE (not loose) ... and I have noticed that more and more people seem unable to tell the difference.

I am fully aware that I am being very pedantic, but why is this such a problem all of a sudden? And why do we just seem to accept it? (Nb My son makes this error too and he's v well educated. Argh!)

OK, I will read what you wrote now ... nice & calmly. :D

But really, who cares?