House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
6 hours ago, Londonkid said:

Defi is a real eye opener. Before ppl say it's a ponzi with the interest rates, just think you elimate all of banking costs with smart contracts. 

And payroll departments etc...😁

2 hours ago, Salty1 said:

How does tax work with staking/defi?

I'm tempted to start staking eth and/or depositing btc somewhere like abra but I'm concerned the tax/record keeping will be a massive pain (both the treatment of interest in the first instance but also in working out average acquisition price in event of cgt at some point down the road)

HMRC recently released new guidance.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Well, JD is still very SALTY despite accepting BTC is valuable.

During a May 6 conversation with ICI President and CEO Eric J. Pan, JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon urged regulators to pay closer attention to cryptocurrencies instead of the Dodd-Frank Act before the nascent market becomes too big to be tamed:

Because when it's $3 trillion, then $4 trillion, then $5 trillion when grandmas start buying it and people start being ripped offand ransomware's going into a hundred cities, not 30, I think you're going to have an uproar about what was allowed to happen.   

Well, JD is a bundle of laughs.  He really is encouraging GenZ to say: ok, boomer."

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
8 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

A 6 figure Bitcoin and many a salty nocoiner on here will absolutely lose their chit. 😀

They are very funny those guys, and I suspect 10 times funnier should the magic 7 figure target get breached. Now that is a thought!

HOLA449
4 minutes ago, Huggy said:

They are very funny those guys, and I suspect 10 times funnier should the magic 7 figure target get breached. Now that is a thought!

Just time imho, if not 2025, then 2029 , either way will happen before i am 60, so full retirement is looking good. 

HOLA4410
6 hours ago, Buffer Bear said:

Thanks.

It looks like a massive PITA.

Staking needs to be declared as income.  Need to keep records of each reward and its price at the time in GBP.  Then for a sale later on that's relevant for CGT all those small rewards need to be incorporated in to the average cost of acquisition.

I presume interest works the same in terms of record keeping.

I'm also a bit worried about whether doing the staking/depositing or interest might count as a disposal for CGT...  I dont really know enough here.... have seen some explainers about eth staking talking about staking eth2 rather than eth; I think eth is the "old pow" eth and eth2 is the "new pos"... does turning one to the other count as disposal?  When I put tokens in to abra interest account is that a disposal or do i still own them?

All a massive faff.  I am so annoyed that we cant get access to funds/etns etc through ISAs/SIPPs that would mean all this aggravation could be avoided.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
6 hours ago, Buffer Bear said:

Well, JD is still very SALTY despite accepting BTC is valuable.

During a May 6 conversation with ICI President and CEO Eric J. Pan, JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon urged regulators to pay closer attention to cryptocurrencies instead of the Dodd-Frank Act before the nascent market becomes too big to be tamed:

Because when it's $3 trillion, then $4 trillion, then $5 trillion when grandmas start buying it and people start being ripped offand ransomware's going into a hundred cities, not 30, I think you're going to have an uproar about what was allowed to happen.   

Well, JD is a bundle of laughs.  He really is encouraging GenZ to say: ok, boomer."

Dimon is a grade A moron. You could swap commute for zoom in his words:

"And everyone is going to be happy with it, and yes, the commute, you know people don't like commuting, but so what."

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
20 minutes ago, headmelter said:

Well the useless waste of fecking space chunt could whack up interest rates then plebs would be less inclined in the first place to invest. But these fecking scum won't untill kicking and screaming and forced.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
26 minutes ago, longgone said:

Well the useless waste of fecking space chunt could whack up interest rates then plebs would be less inclined in the first place to invest. But these fecking scum won't untill kicking and screaming and forced.

I have no vested interest but found it interesting that the BoE took the time to fire a pre digital currency warning shot at BTC... No doubt preparatory lgislation is in the pipeline for when it is viewed as a serious threat to their proposed new digital currency & feel the need to eradicate it.

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, headmelter said:

I have no vested interest but found it interesting that the BoE took the time to fire a pre digital currency warning shot at BTC... No doubt preparatory lgislation is in the pipeline for when it is viewed as a serious threat to their proposed new digital currency & feel the need to eradicate it.

Its never going to be a threat.

However the work reward structure is broken so may be a threat to employers.

HOLA4419
3 minutes ago, headmelter said:

Thats going to be be one hell of a difficult thing to do though surely? How would it work in the drawing up of the legislation, presumably all have to be done in secret so no insider-ism and multiple countries all acting in unison at the same moment? I dunno, I'm new here but sounds very difficult to me.

HOLA4420
8 minutes ago, longgone said:

If it will never be viewed as a threat it will eventually go to zero... There is no intrinsic value in BTC & advancements in technology will eventually develop something that is more user friendly, less volatle & useable...  All imho...

Edited by headmelter

HOLA4421
4 minutes ago, smash said:

Thats going to be be one hell of a difficult thing to do though surely? How would it work in the drawing up of the legislation, presumably all have to be done in secret so no insider-ism and multiple countries all acting in unison at the same moment? I dunno, I'm new here but sounds very difficult to me.

TAX... TPTB  will just tax any profit derived from #BTC or other crypto's for that matter making it non-profitable & therefore herding all the 'clever' people who thought they had went 'off grid' preventing governments from stealing their money into their new digital currencies... I would hazard a guess that all the central banks are capable of acting in unison... If they have managed to manipulate & control the $10-$11 Trillion gold market a much smaller market, much easier legislated against will be wee buns to control...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
16 minutes ago, headmelter said:

TAX... TPTB  will just tax any profit derived from #BTC or other crypto's for that matter making it non-profitable & therefore herding all the 'clever' people who thought they had went 'off grid' preventing governments from stealing their money into their new digital currencies... I would hazard a guess that all the central banks are capable of acting in unison... If they have managed to manipulate & control the $10-$11 Trillion gold market a much smaller market, much easier legislated against will be wee buns to control...

they control gold via paper gold (fake gold) with bitcoin the same cant be done as its all transparent on the block-chain. 

HOLA4424
40 minutes ago, longgone said:

i was thinking this the other day.

If the average man can just go and pay his mortgage off, then how do you keep said average man living in fear? how do you keep smart people like engineers in the work-force.

Bitcoin was always going to be a golden ticket out of the nightmareish debt surftdom we all live in. 

And now we are starting to reach a point in the next peak that say 0.5% of the workforce drop out, productivity goes down in the general economy. Too many people end up rich.   

HOLA4425
2 hours ago, Salty1 said:

Thanks.

It looks like a massive PITA.

Staking needs to be declared as income.  Need to keep records of each reward and its price at the time in GBP.  Then for a sale later on that's relevant for CGT all those small rewards need to be incorporated in to the average cost of acquisition.

I presume interest works the same in terms of record keeping.

I'm also a bit worried about whether doing the staking/depositing or interest might count as a disposal for CGT...  I dont really know enough here.... have seen some explainers about eth staking talking about staking eth2 rather than eth; I think eth is the "old pow" eth and eth2 is the "new pos"... does turning one to the other count as disposal?  When I put tokens in to abra interest account is that a disposal or do i still own them?

All a massive faff.  I am so annoyed that we cant get access to funds/etns etc through ISAs/SIPPs that would mean all this aggravation could be avoided.

My reading is that staking should not count as a disposal as you still own the asset but transfoming it into anything else, even if you eventually withdraw it back in its original form, would.