House Price Crash Forum

The Bubbly Bitcoin Thread -- Merged Threads

HOLA441
HOLA442

I’ll regret asking this because it’ll crash as soon as I ask, but @jiltedjen I’m curious if you managed to dollar cost average back in as much as you sold and came out with more bitcoin, or if you didn’t get there yet and ended up with less?

Genuinely curious, because I think that’s the hardest part. I sold some at 20k in 2017 and timed it perfectly but came out behind because I didn’t buy it all back.

HOLA443
48 minutes ago, dannyf said:

I’ll regret asking this because it’ll crash as soon as I ask, but @jiltedjen I’m curious if you managed to dollar cost average back in as much as you sold and came out with more bitcoin, or if you didn’t get there yet and ended up with less?

Genuinely curious, because I think that’s the hardest part. I sold some at 20k in 2017 and timed it perfectly but came out behind because I didn’t buy it all back.

He paid of the mortgage with 100% of his stash, if he has more than a handful of Satoshi's now i would be amazed.  

He will never own 1 BTC ever again in his life. 

HOLA444

Any particular reason why it's suddenly taking off again? I'm not massively invested after getting my fingers burned a bit in the last cycle and just sitting tight on what I already had.

But now I'm back in the black I of course wish I'd been drip feeding more funds since then. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Are we at the FOMO stage? It's a difficult emotion to resist, but looking at the charts it looks like this run has a way to go yet.

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

Any particular reason why it's suddenly taking off again? I'm not massively invested after getting my fingers burned a bit in the last cycle and just sitting tight on what I already had.

But now I'm back in the black I of course wish I'd been drip feeding more funds since then. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Are we at the FOMO stage? It's a difficult emotion to resist, but looking at the charts it looks like this run has a way to go yet.

As I said, the Bitcoin ETF inflows are regularly pushing 10x daily issuance and there is no signs that this is slowling down. We are also now less than 50 days away when the daily issuance will half. We are literally running out of Bitcoin. 

Check googletrends and Bitcoin is still not registering anything like the ssearches from previous cycles so retail is still not currently FOMOing. This is purely halvening and institutional buying. 

I'm sure it will all be banned soon. 

HOLA447
2 hours ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

As I said, the Bitcoin ETF inflows are regularly pushing 10x daily issuance and there is no signs that this is slowling down. We are also now less than 50 days away when the daily issuance will half. We are literally running out of Bitcoin. 

Check googletrends and Bitcoin is still not registering anything like the ssearches from previous cycles so retail is still not currently FOMOing. This is purely halvening and institutional buying. 

I'm sure it will all be banned soon. 

👍

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
On 27/02/2024 at 13:16, Bear Necessities said:

I find it difficult to get any work done when it's going up this sharply.

Feels like a waste of time working, might as well just ride the wave.

I am a bit sanguine about it at the moment. At least at this level. I long ago consigned my crypto investments to zero or life changing.

I got in in 2017, bought what I thought was an amount I was mentally prepared to lose, then bought in a few more times since. But I'm still not a big bag holder like some, so the price I need for a life changing cash-out is quite a lot higher than this. I could cash out now and it would shave a few years off retirement, but for me it isn't worth it. I'll continue to wait until the amount gets me to FU money. The point I can say FU and quit any job.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
39 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

I am a bit sanguine about it at the moment. At least at this level. I long ago consigned my crypto investments to zero or life changing.
 I'll continue to wait until the amount gets me to FU money. The point I can say FU and quit any job.

I felt that I'd ride BTC to either $0 or $100,000 whichever comes first.   At $100,000 or close to it I'd sell 50-60% of it, at which point I'm well in profit and the rest can be kept as a little speculation just in case FU day ever came.

But I'd be wary though of saying you want to ride it to some monster figure or $0.  Surely it makes sense to cash out a little along the way as many others have done?  Would be a shame to find you could have had a £200,000 windfall but let it all go chasing £1,000,000.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
21 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

I felt that I'd ride BTC to either $0 or $100,000 whichever comes first.   At $100,000 or close to it I'd sell 50-60% of it, at which point I'm well in profit and the rest can be kept as a little speculation just in case FU day ever came.

But I'd be wary though of saying you want to ride it to some monster figure or $0.  Surely it makes sense to cash out a little along the way as many others have done?  Would be a shame to find you could have had a £200,000 windfall but let it all go chasing £1,000,000.

I guess we all have a different threshold for what constitutes FU money as well.

I sold some two cycles ago when it was "new PC" money and I really really needed a new PC.  Didn't sell any last cycle when it reached "new car money" (partly because money wasn't so tight and I didn't need a new car, so I was more willing to wait and see).

This time around it might be "holiday home in Tuscany money" which isn't far off my FU threshold, and makes it far more difficult to "wait and see". 

So I think selling half at that level does make a lot of sense.

Edited by Bear Necessities

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

ATH of $69k is tantalisingly close. Be good to see it on the TV news again, that'll help it's exposure and our gainz too :)

HOLA4423
On 27/02/2024 at 02:31, markyh said:

He paid of the mortgage with 100% of his stash, if he has more than a handful of Satoshi's now i would be amazed.  

He will never own 1 BTC ever again in his life. 

Which is still a win, paying off his mortgage. But I’m still curious, @jiltedjen

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, Huggy said:

ATH of $69k is tantalisingly close. Be good to see it on the TV news again, that'll help it's exposure and our gainz too :)

It's likely to have a 30% pullback around the top IMHO. This would be normal and nothing to worry about per se. Traders will take profits at the previous top.

HOLA4425