• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
  • 11 months later...
HOLA444

Trussell Trust food bank use doubles in Barrow

A food bank charity serving south Cumbria has been handing out more than twice as many boxes than it was 12 months ago. The Trussell Trust said demand in Barrow had increased by 104%, to more than 4,300 parcels, for the first six months of the financial year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-30205191

HOLA445

Trussell:
Every church that sets up a foodbank receives over £5,000 in value from the Trussell Trust in the first year alone: this includes an operating manual, onsite training, a template website, an online data collection system which supports their operations, a helpline, PR support, marketing materials and a share in the benefits of nationally negotiated fundraising initiatives and corporate relationships.

http://www.trusselltrust.org/rumour-response

So is the £5000 a useful figure for tax purposes?

HOLA446

Pot noodle is a simple nutritious meal I have found which is quite easy to prepare.

Unless it is on offer I find that any prepackaged food is way above my means. Its much cheaper and tastier to do it yourself.

Having said that, Tesco are doing 50 frozen 'Value' sausage rolls for 80p - so I do partake.

Btw - Tesco with their 'big data' club card must be weeping at the changing demographics. I used to spend £50 3 or 4 times a week on food and a couple of hundred a month on non food. Now my Tesco spend is NEVER over £5 and never more than a couple of times a week. The other £15 I spend in Lidl or Aldi. I also stopped with the petrol since I got my Vauxhall Agila gas powered on Ebay.

HOLA447

My view is that the welfare system needs absolute root-and-branch reform. Get rid of all the family credits, family allowances, tax credits and all that hoo-ha, it's universalist nonsense left over from the 1940s; the welfare system never was and never will be universalist. Instead, concentrate on giving help where it's needed. Won't happen of course.

If we must have charity I'd rather we had subsidised canteens (no jokes about Wetherspoon's please...).Admission would be with DSS permission only. It worked in the war with British Restaurants. This way you would get economies of scale and could promote healthy eating. Jamie Oliver could be in charge of it or something. Again, it won't happen because the statists will go on about soup kitchens and the H&S mob will say it's unhygienic, and the customers might even complain that they didn't like the food.

Far easier just to give out tins of sugar and chemical laden processed food...

HOLA448

You *need* a hell of a lot less than that. Average food spend per adult per week in the UK is £23 according to ONS. £28 would be a fair bit above average. I spend a lot less.

There's genuine poverty and they deserve to be helped, but many people seeking help are victims of lack of information, imagination and reason which would allow them to eat nutritiously for far less (although in some cases with difficulty, e.g. this does require at least one ring cooker, if you're in a bedsit with microwave or no facilities at all it becomes drastically harder)

Think there needs to be education really. People should be given some kind of basic life skills course when at school. Teach them some basic cookery/prepping skills, give them a slow cooker, and then have them to up a budget on how they can eat for the week on £25 quid. No pre-made or processed food allowed. It's not easy, but you can certain live quite well of £25 a week with some proper planning and budgeting.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Every three minutes – that’s how often Hartlepool’s foodbank is called into action as more families struggle - http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/local/every-three-minutes-that-s-how-often-hartlepool-s-foodbank-is-called-into-action-as-more-families-struggle-1-6992900

Record demand for food banks in Cornwall - http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2014-12-08/record-demand-for-food-banks-in-cornwall/

HOLA4410

Think there needs to be education really. People should be given some kind of basic life skills course when at school. Teach them some basic cookery/prepping skills, give them a slow cooker, and then have them to up a budget on how they can eat for the week on £25 quid. No pre-made or processed food allowed. It's not easy, but you can certain live quite well of £25 a week with some proper planning and budgeting.

And money to pay for the lecky and reasonably priced shops within a distance that allows you to get the food back home (not too far walking or reasonable bus routes and the money for bus fares).

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Do you mind dropping some hints/recipes?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Oh dear the Spectator asks the question you are not supposed to. Well basically smoking and fatness is inverted to poverty, so guess what you are going to see fat people smoking their £100 a week fix of Marlboros in the food bank queue period.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9398362/why-are-there-so-many-fat-people-in-pictures-of-food-banks/

Rod Liddle...the usual suspect.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4419

awesomely relevant vid....

​

​Trussell Trust food banks are a franchise!

​Churches are paying £1500 to open up a Trussell Trust account.

​

​Also, food banks paying 20% VAT on food from FairShare!

​Support INDEPENDENT food banks...

​

HOLA4420

Kind of backs up the Spectator article, two super sized food bankers loading up in the background (above video). I guess you'd need to go to Fortnum and Masons in Mayfair to see shoppers who look like they need food these days.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9398362/why-are-there-so-many-fat-people-in-pictures-of-food-banks/

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4421

Kind of backs up the Spectator article, two super sized food bankers loading up in the background (above video). I guess you'd need to go to Fortnum and Masons in Mayfair to see shoppers who look like they need food these days.

Food banks are for greedy fat people ? Now that is ingenious.

I've found further evidence - here is a chubby looking chap going on about food banks, surely conspiracy proven now:

HOLA4422

why are there videos in the background of a FOOD bank?

very questioning of the Trussell Trust if you read their company details

the food is given free, the volunteers are free, the space is probably free

I am happy to put tins of stuff in the supermarkets collection points for those less well off to take if they are a bit short but will not support the T Trust.

HOLA4423

I am happy to put tins of stuff in the supermarkets collection points for those less well off to take if they are a bit short but will not support the T Trust.

Tesco's food collections goes to trussell

http://www.trusselltrust.org/tesco-collection

And I think Sainsburys and Morrisons too.

Lady on r4 saying how little food she has to feed her kids.

The bloke from money box has spoken to her and it seems she's not getting IS for the kids, or CTC - so she is a bit screwed because of that - but a good foodbank would run people through the benefits checker to see they're getting everything they can.

There's no point just giving people food for a few days if the problems they have that lead them to the foodbank could actually be solved.

- benefits check

- debt check and advice

- info on credit unions

- forward to support groups for ongoing support.

- and then food to get them through a few days.

If it's just about giving them some tins of (not) beans then it's almost useless.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

HOLA4424

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

In the UK the policy is smash his fishing rod, then 'rent' him a very expensive replacement

How about some land reform, stealing back some of the stolen commons, and allowing more people to grow own food again? Nope lets increase allotment rents.

Edited by aSecureTenant

HOLA4425

Well the donations in the supermarket collection points are probably sent to Trussell Trust food banks in most towns anyway.

I googled the Trussell Trust and had a look at their accounts, all available on line just a few clicks away.

From their accounts Salary and wage costs are £790k for about 40 paid staff. Deduct say 12% for Employers National Insurance and your left with an average salary of £20k. No employee (that includes directors) receives more than £60k. It looks to my eyes as a relatively egalitarian organisation.

I don't see what's wrong with their employees being paid for the work they do. The Trust must do a great deal to organise, train help set up and run food banks across the country. I'm sure there are independent voluntary food banks with sincere and hardworking volunteers scattered around the country but surely the need for a systematic and organised approach will give a better outcome. In the youtube clip of New Cross food bank they make a point stating that they pay their employees a living wage.

After reading through the comments on Reddit that Baroness, let them eat porridge, Anne Jenkin provoked I will be donating to them.

Edited by sleepwello'nights