House Price Crash Forum

Massive Confidence Boost For The Uk Economy!

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17252738

Even IF they were ALL full-time jobs they are still LOW PAID jobs! Is this how the UK is supposed to regain its economic vitality and strength? With low paid supermarket jobs?

I'm sure all those 16-24 year olds the article alludes to (especially all those recent/forthcoming graduates with stack loads of debt) will be ever so grateful to have this as a 'career' ahead of them.

Our PM thinks we should be grateful for this employment manna from heaven. Such is the true economic situation that this is the best they can hope for!? Modern day spin doctors coaching our political leaders in what to say must really think we are all stupid enough to unthinkingly lap up these words of comfort - and feel good!?

Me cynical? Absolutely! After all cynicism is just an unpleasant way of telling the truth.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA442

Those 20,000 jobs will destroy 30,000 other retail jobs in the process.

Homer Simpson to Cameron:

"you're living in a world of make-believe, with flowers and bells and leprechauns, and magic frogs with funny little hats."

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Even IF they were ALL full-time jobs they are still LOW PAID jobs! Is this how the UK is supposed to regain its economic vitality and strength? With low paid supermarket jobs?

I'm sure all those 16-24 year olds the article alludes to (especially all those recent/forthcoming graduates with stack loads of debt) will be ever so grateful to have this as a 'career' ahead of them.

Our PM thinks we should be grateful for this employment manna from heaven. Such is the true economic situation that this is the best they can hope for!? Modern day spin doctors coaching our political leaders in what to say must really think we are all stupid enough to unthinkingly lap up these words of comfort - and feel good!?

Me cynical? Absolutely! After all cynicism is just an unpleasant way of telling the truth.

The Tesco CEO was on the news and he said a lot of the jobs were going to be part time because that suits today's workforce.

(He didn't say because they could then claim benefits and be better off than working full time)

HOLA446

Tesco are going into the convenience store side in a big way .

There`s far greater margins in the convenience (tesco express/one stop) side and with there buying power they will lay waste to the corner shop

I don't know if its true ,but got told by some one involved in the building/converting the above ,that they are looking at another 50 in Cardiff alone

HOLA447

Even IF they were ALL full-time jobs they are still LOW PAID jobs! Is this how the UK is supposed to regain its economic vitality and strength?

Well yes, I think decreasing wages is one way of becoming more economically competitive. The alternatives are for Tesco to either not employ these people, or to pay them more and pass the cost on to the customer. Which would you prefer?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I wonder if when Tesco creates jobs the government actually loses money thanks to tax credits. It wouldn't surprise me.

If Tesco set 2 people on they will pay a lower rate than they would a full time worker. The part time workers have less rights and can be easliy unloaded to set more on at a rubbish wage. Meanwhile the government subsidises it by paying the part time workers benefits.

HOLA4414

Well yes, I think decreasing wages is one way of becoming more economically competitive. The alternatives are for Tesco to either not employ these people, or to pay them more and pass the cost on to the customer. Which would you prefer?

Given no choice on the wage level issue, then I'd rather these paople were doing 'creative'/productive wealth generating jobs of some sort, any sort than just stacking shelves and passing tins of beans over a laser barcode reader. Is that too much to ask?

That's not to say that, in the grand scheme of things, that people who do this for a living are of less 'worth'. At the end of the day they are an essential small cog in a much larger economic machine. BUT to come to rely on/be grateful for these sorts of jobs as a form of economic salvation is just plain wrong.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-17252738

so let's get this right

China's economic strength is built on a low paid efficient cheap workforce

and when we try and do that ourselves apparently it's not high cost enough

doh!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

There`s far greater margins in the convenience (tesco express/one stop) side and with there buying power they will lay waste to the corner shop

I don't know if its true ,but got told by some one involved in the building/converting the above ,that they are looking at another 50 in Cardiff alone

odd, that when Tesco first started, about 40 years ago, they were going to lay waste to the corner store and the local grocery stores then.

looks like they didnt, havent and arent going to either.

HOLA4419

so let's get this right

China's economic strength is built on a low paid efficient cheap workforce

and when we try and do that ourselves apparently it's not high cost enough

doh!

See my reply earlier re: wage levels. Whilst increasing/higher wages in real terms and relative purchasing power is obviously desirable, in the first instance it is more desirable that the work done be 'productive' and 'wealth generating'.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Particularly when you remember that the One Stop chain belongs to the Tesco group.

In at least one place in Cardiff you can stand outside a One Stop, look down the road and see a Tesco Express.

HOLA4422

I left school in 1982, even in the middle of a nasty slump, anyone who ended up in a supermarket, when they left, was seen as a loser.

How times have changed. They even have to pay for their degree in Salad Husbandry now.

This country has had the spleen ripped from it.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Should include SOME better paid supervisory/manergerial roles but I take your point the majpority of these jobs will not be worth doing for the money.

HOLA4425