HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

It is raining. It is blowing a gale. It is Sunday afternoon. Is there a decent film on freeview? No. Not one currently and doesn't look likely for the rest of the afternoon.

Need John Wayne or Gary Cooper.

"Run Silent, Run Deep" was on yesterday.

Today has been a Tom Hanks-a-thon; "Money Pit" followed by "You've got Mail". Not exactly Sunday afternoon fodder.

Was an interesting day a week or so ago. Had "12 Angry men" via lovefilm and then tv provided "Belles of St. Trinians", "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "Cool Hand Luke" (I guess only the last one qualifies for this thread?)

HOLA4412

Saw The Lifeboat (1944) early this morning - I can see where kitchen-sink drama came from + (maybe) who-will-survive horror films. It's Hitchcock with Steinbeck as screenwriter, so the atmosphere is good:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037017/

Did it influence The Old Man and the Sea?

I actually sympathised with the German, because I would have reacted in that realistic way. And the rest of them were idiots who would be cheering BTL.Thank God they were all rescued by the state after committing murder!

The murder had to be turned into a propaganda point, but a later Hitch would have taken retribution on those characters.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Saw The Lifeboat (1944) early this morning - I can see where kitchen-sink drama came from + (maybe) who-will-survive horror films. It's Hitchcock with Steinbeck as screenwriter, so the atmosphere is good:

But it was made to do two things:

1. Make people harden against the evil enemy.

2. Encourage them that good will triumph over evil in the end.

The whole history of cinema in WW2 is fascinating. Watching how it changed from the early days through to the end. It will never be made because the clips are too expensive but a major documentary series needs to be made about the genre.

Early British WW2 cinema was so played out as if war was some public school lark fought solely by Rex Harrison, Robert Donat and Leslie Howard. But as the war progressed the films began to depict 'ordinary' people fighting not just the Germans but for a better Britain after the war. Such films played a major part in the Labour 1945 landslide victory.

American early WW2 films were fascinating also in how they totally turned the Japanese into non-human monsters. But, on a brighter note, let's finish with a classic WW2 and Sunday afternoon film.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Spartacus with Kirk Douglas about to start on ITV4

He must have been a heck of a person - the original Spartacus. To rise up a rebellion against the might of Rome. I suppose he could have simply fled Italy himself and got away to live a good life. Instead, he decided to try and free all the slaves. Staggering leadership.

God, we are so lucky to live where we do when we do.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived